Are We A MMO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trina, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

At least you admit you jump to conclusions. :)

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

As I've said while some of you were too busy juggling with their egos to pay attention, is that there are massive multiplayer online games, and massiveLY multiplayer.

If we're going to argue linguistics might as well at least make an effort.

3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs
    Are you going to ever add anything constructive to this or just troll?
    There is no jumping to conclusions when everyone can read your posts the same as I can.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You jumped to conclusions, I don't care what people think of me.

All I care about is replies like Gix just gave us that has value to this community and to portalarium.

You having your *cough* in a bunch over a loose definition isn't going to change a thing.

Now you're just being a bad loser...

Gix likes this.
  5. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

They are called Massively Multiplayer Online games. Which ones do you hear simply being called "Massive" Multiplayer Online games?

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I've never said they did, I'm saying the definitions should be more precise, thus arguing linguistics in the context of what to us is an MMO, which sparks related even parallel conversations which lead to information that helps building a better sandbox-MMO hybrid, cause thats why we're here, right ?

7. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Hardly guy. At least I bring something to the subject at hand. You have been continually just being a troll with your posts. You do care what people think of you as stated by me asking why some posters use guru-stylized speech in their posts. What have I lost at? Stop being a troll and bring something of substance at least to the conversation at hand.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Now keep in mind its up to the devs to decide what part they listen to, and what MMO means to them. Que sera sera...

9. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

YOU JUST SAID there were... omg, do you have split personas?
    "there are massive multiplayer online games, and massiveLY multiplayer" - That was from you.

If you were truly enlightened you could make your comments clear and precise. You are not arguing about something that has anything to do with the original post and this thread. That would be like arguing for more sub-genres of Metal music while saying it's not Metal because its another type of Metal music.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is called respect, you are new on these forums and I extend a open hand, I mind, but I do not care.

Not everybody has the role to bring new material to the table, in this case Gix has done it 10 times better than I could, he was precise, concise, while opening all manners of new perspectives.

That is called balance and this is what our community strives for, we don't want to shut down different point of views, such as you have right now ; but on the other hand we'd like that our effort goes somewhere more along the lines of philosophy than pure rational argument. The former has more chance of leading to a situation where each member of a thread uses their strength.

Some bring content, others scepticism, others questions.

Gix likes this.
  11. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Truly? You bring respect with your non-constructive comments? Just to nay-say or scoff at remarks? Trolling is respect nowadays?
    I don't care if I am new. I do not need 1,000+ posts to offer something constructive.
    I do not need 1,000+ likes to offer constructive posts.
    I do not need a cheerleading squad to like and cheer me on for posts.
    I do not need to butter up egos and puff out my chest and inflate my head but putting out wannabe guru statements for the masses to feed on which have nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    You seem to feel these are important. I do not.

Now if you want to just disagree with me... offer something constructive and contrariwise to all the points offered for why this is an MMO/MMORPG and what is considered an MMO/MMORPG. Until then, you are just trolling because you yourself are a bad loser.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Make my comments clear and precise ? Thats you jumping the gun, you think enlightenment brings absolute wisdom ? oh no... let me tell you a story.

At this point, I think people do not care anymore about the original subject of this thread, nonetheless gems can be found :)

Me split personalities ?

I'm the original avatar, keeper of the blue flame... so yes... I'd think that was a problem I wrestled with :D But my point about the distinction between the two terms stands, until someone has a better linguistic distinction to offer :) English isn't even my first language, I have an immense vocabulary because of the amount of books I read, but my syntax and often whole structure still leaves alot to be desired.

Anyways...

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good, for a while there you were captain obvious... but now you're talking :)

You think social perception does not matter on a forum ? :p

You see you cannot judge someone unless you are the same yourself, I just did to you what you did to me. We're even now, and you have not let me step on your toes.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

btw, trolling is a means to an end :) one day you'll understand how I bring respect, you'll most likely want to thank me.

but that is another linguistic discussion best left to another thread, like in the off-topic forum we don't have :p

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

I think he's referring to the fact that some games have a massive online player-base such as the Dark Souls series which are not considered MMOs.

I think the best way to describe the term "MMO" in a more modern context is to say it's a multi-player game that hosts a large amount of players that are playing within the same environment automatically (by default) without queuing up or using a lobby system.

It's what separates Destiny from Halo, for example.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Because of this.
    The only way anyone can agree that SotA is an MMO is if they distort the definition of MMO. Which you are doing and so are many many others. Even MMORPG.com.

Why do they do that? Because in the end it's easier to let it go than fight it. Guild Wars 1 being a perfect example. They fought tooth and nail against the MMO label and stop for the already stated reason.

Why do I say yes SotA is an MMO? Because if half the people I know call me Bob even though my name is Larry,

Massive population + Multiplayer + Online doesn't always mean MMO. It's how the multiplayer is structured that matters. People skimming for a new game probably don't look that far into it to see there is a difference.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  17. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

You are now being obstinate just to be obstinate. You ignore any info and facts that don't conform to your ideas and beliefs. That is not how this works. Whether you like it or not, there are already definitions for MMO/MMORPG and have been out there for over 20 years. Give it a rest already and do some research.

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

19. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

unsubscribe

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.