Asian Influence?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Time Lord, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

They did not "just arrive." They've been gone for a very long time, but presumably Avatars had a very, very strong influence on the development of the world. Not only are there Asian Avatars; there also were Asian avatars.

2. herradam

herradam Avatar

If it's done in such a way that is respectful then yeah.

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    I agree with many of the posts here as they bring up very good points;

One point is that this place was here before "we" got here.

I am sorry that I haven't read the book yet... as I have been saving that to have a greater influence and impact just before we actually start our game. So, I'd like to hear more comments on what Eriador has spoken of that relates to our book's storyline. Are there Asian influences there? I do know that Tracy and I were both living in Asian around the same time, so maybe he has included something there, I just don't know.

Another point that was brought up was leading to the very good question of, what influence and how much of it do we need to have a good representation of the Asian culture;
    This is one of the reasons I placed the little Monk's picture in there twice. Because, in our more modern world, when we think of the greatest accomplishments that the Asian world have provided us with, "one of which, if not the first thing that pops into our minds is the "Open hand Martial Arts", closely followed by the staff weapons and there after the unique weapons and then leading to all other swards and everything else.

I know that this thread is listed in the housing section and therefore weapons and combat don't particularly belong here, "Yet in this case, I think it does". I say this because whether it's by building, house, artwork or by Martial Arts, the Asian influence needs to be respectfully and properly represented.

Martial Arts, Open Hand Combat;
    I believe that we have all the basic weapons we need in the game without adding any others as they would all only be there in name only with some graphics needing to be added.
    I want to breach the subject of Open Hand Combat Asian Style.... Open hand combat has been depicted as a lousy skill only used as a last resort by primarily magical mage heavy characters and to add anymore power to such a chr that has so many magical things they need to be doing with their hands other than fighting, I believe would be a very inappropriate thing. Yet when I consider an open hand combat chr with much less magical properties and combat recourses, I feel that the open handed combat skills of the Asians has every right to be respected as a very viable and equally impacting weapon.

Battle Hardened Real Martial Artists;
    Anyone that has not actually engaged a 'true and well battle hardened martial artist", and feels that if they themselves had a weapon to use against them that they could beat such an artist, 'they need to tell us all where they learned such a hoax". Unless you have a gun with bullets, a martial artist of hardened quality is someone you should run from in real life. There's just no comparison between show art, ring competition art and "hardened real life warrior art of the open hand".
    The only additive to the open hand that is under-represented by the other combat weapons is "the knife". There is absolutely no comparison between a martial artist with a knife and any swordsman being able to use a knife, the swordsman will loose by using swordsman tactics.

This is a fantasy game and many here that are much more educated in computer gaming battle than I am, and I'd like to hear from them about their feelings of how any real life martial arts open hand and also knife skills can be equated, or are equated into our game.

Or, we can discuss more housing designs.... or who made that katana we all enjoy so much o_O because we have a need for an easy way to implement Asian Culture in such a way that it doesn't take too much $ to implement or modifications to our current gaming structure.... all of which I have no idea about how to do.

What do you all think?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Well, I already spoke a little bit about this, but not only asian, also other cultures. For example "Tribune Marcus Tercius" is from a very expansionist country/empire. How that sounds like? My theory is that in the world exists different cultures and empires, and Novia is like a meeting point.

5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I would prefer no Asian building structures in New Brittania. Just my two cents.

Fenway, Lord Albert and Time Lord like this.
  6. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I like the ideas of housing with different cultural influences. Particularly in different areas of the world we will be playing in. Much good has been suggested and there is little I can add to that, save my support.

In the area of empty hand combat, I have never seen a game do it justice. Then again, with 1500+ recognized styles in China alone and probably that many more family styles (in China alone) it becomes difficult to define what IS empty hand combat. What techniques do you include - without making it a martial arts simulator. Clearly it is easier to kill with weapons than with the empty hand (ask the iron shirt monks who stood to defend their monasteries from the revolutionary forces ... oh wait, iron shirt doesn't stop bullets). And most good students of the arts learn a weapon or two. Will we include that as well? To do the theme justice, we must, because the empty hand and the weapon are one in the same for mid level training.

Please don't think I am against the idea - anyone who knows me, knows my feelings about this and how I have spent my life. But how to get it right? At the very least I would like to see empty hand combat be quicker than most long weapon combat. Perhaps less damaging, but interrupt capable. Beyond that, why not spend mana on empty hand techniques? We spend mana when we use a card to do a whirlwind attack. Why not mana and a card for iron palm?

*Of course I am loath to point out that to train a middling empty hand fighter with daily practice requires a minimum of 2 years, and that is not for any level of mastery, while any peasant can be taught to use a pike in a month (a firearm in just a week). Basic iron palm training is 100 days (minimum) of bone jarringly painful practice and that is after 2 years or more of foundational exercises. (plus the right jao) Will we include this longer training path? I am not against it. I would be more than willing to spend 3 times the normal XP to level empty hand, because it is silly to harvest/craft in full armor. ;)

I think I have overspent my 2 cents. Sorry.

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I just dont want them mixing badly cultures. For example, in an asian cities all the building should be asian, and in medieval european style cities the same, not like UO after Tokuno. Asian buildings style were pretty popular in UO and all the whole world was full of asian stuff. That have no sense in the history of the world.

8. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Not to derail the topic but since we're discussing Asian influence don't forget the crafts!
    For example - Cooking! I absolutely LOVE Asian cuisine ( even though it's the Americanized version :eek: )! :D
    Wok of Prosperity? o_O Oh yeah! ;)

I know that I'd like to experience in-game at least SOME Asian culture in a future episode. :cool:

Time Lord, Jivalax Azon and Eriador like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like this idea the best, if you"re going into the Asian theme then might as well go whole hog. If this comes to pass, SOTA could hint at the existence of such a continent by some exotic items in the market.

btw, Filipino and proud of it :)

10. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

We go down that road, it'll cost $8,000 to get all the Prosperity tools. For cooking. Alone. :(

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I agree with the need of some Asian influence.

Yet as far as open hand combat and what it takes to train;
    The fancy things are not needed. Much real hand combat between people involves head locks while spinning them around you like a spinning top. 6 seconds with 3 spins later, "pop goes the weasel" and the opponent is very dead. This is not to be spoken of among common people, as most of what is known in the common "arts world" are only stunning blows unless placed to their point. Muhammad Ali was such a fighter that could deliver such blows by using the long fist technique (he probably called his famous punch something else). In old Greek fighting, most of the Olympic wrestlers had most all their fingers badly broken early in any match.

I don't see that we would need any special animated mechanics for such fighting, style goes out the window in every fight that I have ever been in in combat. Sure, I have seen one kick employed mostly to stave off an attack by distancing your opponent or knocking them down, yet it's the jungle stomping the opponent between your foot and the ground, that provides the needed rigidity for the force to become disabling.
    When I was a young man very long ago, I had trained hard with the US Army Infantry and then sent to Korea. There the US Army taught me bayonet and martial arts of Shorinji Kempo as well as Tae Kwon Do. Then I was sent through ROKA Ranger School, yet after that I began working with the ROKA Unit mentioned above, that truly taught me actual engagement, and not always in the fancy ways seen above. Most was rude, crude, to the point and quick, which I have never seen such techniques ever employed in any movie, clip or training style since. It took them only 3 months to have taught me 3 kicks, one to be practiced only by kicking a wall while standing with your back against it and the other a strait forward flat combat boot, and the final one which was delivered in multiple when the opponent was on the ground. Puck training only involved striking a rice bag at the door of every entrance and exit and a telephone pole wrapped with very large rope was used as a punching bag. I was never as good as they were, yet the longer I stayed in Korea, the more cuts and broken teeth I encountered that were delivered to me by the northern infiltrators. As strange as that may seem to some, weapons had political barriers of law that governed them at that time. We, could not engage with any gun weapon unless they too had one and were on our side of the DMZ boarder, so most infiltrators never carried anything and wanted to escape if encountered or make it deeper into the south, far beyond the DMZ rear fence to do what they did there. I guess my point here is, that ring fighting and real encounters are 2 different arts. Another is just an American or Rugby style tackle, which also doesn't seem to make any eye appealing art, it's just an unstoppable force, delivered by a very large person ;) The Seattle Seahawks Malcolm Smith vs Bruce Lee.... I think Bruce would win, if he could avoid becoming steam rolled by a very big human speeding train :p

I don't know how any individual Asian style town would fit into our storyline and I think we are stuck with that right now.
    I don't see any way of creating any special animation for any open hand combat (there's not much used in the weapons and magical attacks right now) so I'm not seeing the need of it, if we beef up hand to hand or aka wrestling's blow impact, then a few clothing choices, some Asian eyes and a shorter Avatar to have satisfied any Asian influence need we may have in the current build, or in EP2.

Otherwise, we may be $ investing Portalaium time, into houses and building that have very little aesthetic value to add in our current style, which depicts our storyline.

Shorter chr choices
    Asian eye choices
    Open hand combat with some actual value

I think that would do us well to have here for an Asian Influence that's easy on our Portalarium $wallet without any large investment that can carry it's $weight in returns, yet also not upset our current world build.

Hmmm.... otherwise everything else sounds like a money pit of unnecessary design features o_O
    Bring on the conjecture and hurt this stand point's feelings. Politeness never built the pyramids ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Here's a better view:rolleyes:
    ~TL~:eek:

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

대박! ^^

14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

In the video of today they put some wonderful asian buildings conceptual art of Ardoris and the eastern part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.