Attenuation: how about just attenuating a zone?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vladamir Begemot, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That way if you want to keep adventuring if you want to, but you can't stay at UT the whole time (which I assume is a big part of the point).

Even if you leave that zone and come back, you're still attenuated there. But go somewhere else and you're good to fight!

Tonight, for instance, we did UT, and the traditional 30 minute break was about to start. I asked if we wanted to check out my new badass dungeon, and we all said "Yay!" and then realized we can't because we're attenuated.... so we are just waiting.

Oh how fun that would have been....

2. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Per zone, with given group, there could be a way to implement and motivate zone changing to continue gaining 1M per hour if you move to New places, as a group. I want this. This is brilliant.

3. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

It extends the players view of this game as being a contiguous world, if you have to move to a new adventure space to keep on grinding. But with this method, it's still fun.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:D

FrostII likes this.
  5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hmm, i got attenutaed yesterday in crag foothills, wanted to continue hunting but instead i just logged off.

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

that way i can get 4m an hour, no matter how hard you try to implement it to make it safe for everyone. If that feel good for everyone, im in!

7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Not sure if that would help, just throwing in a random idea here.
    But as it is now you are getting attenuated quite too easily, even in normal T5 zones, and if you are only interested in PVE you are pretty much being forced to do something else or to just log off until the attenuation is gone.

What if your attenuation limit raises with your ADV Level by 10.000 for each level?

Starting with 1.000.000
    at ADV Level 50 = 1.500.000
    at ADV Level 100 = 2.000.000
    at ADV Level 120 = 2.200.000

8. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Attenuation does not stop you gaining XP, it just reduces the rate. I did not think attenuation was around to make people try different zones. I thought it was so they can make high density mobs in lower level content that stopped higher level players steam rolling it for excessive XP reward. Like the old kolbold camp used to be.

I would say no, lots you can do in the attentuated state, craft, tame, do your 3 day buff, deco, gather in a lower level zone, where the adventure XP is nothing to write home about anyway.

Attenuation is global control for what Port consider the progression rate should be. Just making parties move does not control your progression.

Spung

Sentinel2, CatherineRose and ebonmark like this.
  9. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Now if Port decide 1 million per hour is not their rate for XP gain just increase it. Don't put arbituary rules around it. Freedom to do what you want is the first principal of a sandbox.

10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I agree with Spungwa about progression. The controls are there to restrict how fast one can gain XP. Attenuation doesn't restrict adventuring, it restricts XP gain. The reason you didn't want to go into another zone wasn't that about adventuring, it was about not gaining XP. And you still get XP, just not at the normal rate.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  11. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I don't believe you're understanding where I am coming from. I'm talking about every time you hit attenuation regardless of group size, in order to maintain the rate of 1M/hr, and not get attenuated progressively down to 500k/hr, you can have the option to move to a different zone. This would motivate people to do things they do not usually do. This would also make people eventually get hungry and curious and to begin exploring other avenues they have not seen before.

This will encourage people to learn more about the game, see more of the game, and give the proper amount of reward for doing so. Where is the downside?

FrostII and Boradic Boneslasher like this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The downside is many people that play 10 hours + a day will just get 4x more op than before. Didnt we just get out of the people crying cause of the difference in level? This is just a way to dive into it again

13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Nothing is stopping people from doing that right now. They can go anywhere they want. What's stopping tem is that they don't get XPm which is what attenuation is meant to stop. You only get to earn so much XP in the hour, ad then it's reduced. They aren't going anywhere because they don't want to because they are losing XP. It's still about the XP. it's not about going adventuring in a new zone. It's aobut a way to avoid the XP loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.