Attunement vs Melee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BodyCount, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Fizzle rates for melee weapon and armor better than cloth wearers need to increase significantly.

It's all about Hybrids.
    Mages just should not be able to wear Heavy armor types or weapons without a massive penalty.
    I think a 1h weapon and shield should
    have allways 35% Fizzle rate.
    No matter what Fizzle reduction is.
    Same for all armor types that ist not cloth.
    Maybe leather a bit less.
    If "Mages" as Hybrids wear a weapon and or better armor they need to be nerfed a lot!

Mages wear cloth and staff/ wand everything else are unbalanced hybrid builds.

2. Cenbhan

Cenbhan Avatar

I agree with the fizzle rate. I would also need another means of healing if casting heal would have high fizz rate. Pots are too slow and costly. Bandages maybe?

Lord Baldrith and Stundorn like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Thing is, we talk about OP Mages who arent classic Mages, but Hybrids.

And as it was correctly stated in this thread everybody needs magic and we have a no class System except you force yourself to restrict yourself at the cost of not perfectly sufficient or efficient.

I cannot imagine a pure Mage with cloth and staff/ wand is the way to try to tank a dragon.
    That are Hybrids in Plate using magic without a big deal.
    And the problem isnt melee, the problem is magic is to available to everyone.
    Magic is strong and it should be strong it's harder to level and has more restrictions aka resistance problems.
    But it should be some more exclusive.
    If you cannot cast with a 2h weapon in your Hand other than a Staff or with a shield Equiped and have big penalties for wearing a Heavy armor type and a Fizzle would Discard your glyph instead of just waste Mana.
    Then Magic is something special and pure Casters need to wear cloth and cannot use bows, blades, shields without having huge Fizzle Chance up to 70%

It's not Mages are OP in my eyes it's the limitless Jack of all Trades Hybrid who is OP!

Cap Stats 220
    Cap skills
    Implement diametral effects of Atunement.
    If someone has 100 death atunement
    And 100 life atunement, this should cancel each other out!
    If it's 75 Earth and 100 Air
    It should be -25 Earth and 25 Air.

It's all too much.

For offline mode they can stick to the limitless Jack of all Trades Hybrid builds.
    But for MP modes there need to be big balancing nerfs.

Soloing a Troll, Dragon or visiting high level areas like the Rise solo in MP modes is ridiculous.

If people want to be gods play offline, if you want to play any MP mode with others there need to be a better balance to keep it fair for PvP and challenging for PvE.

4. Cenbhan

Cenbhan Avatar

Back to what i was saying... can we get some bandages:D

5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

This is an interesting thread to me as I just came from another thread (a bit older) where the general sentiment was that adventure level was all that really mattered in terms of hit frequency.

The OP's story seems to directly contradict that claim.

There are also several people here talking about how magic is the way to go while I've seen a few other discussions about how magic has been so nerfed that it is forcing people into melee.

Very confusing.

Here's my own anecdote... Recently trying to play through the Love quests line and at adv level 63 I'm getting destroyed in Malice.

Meanwhile, the journal assures me this task "should be easy" for me.

Alexander, Stundorn and Beaumaris like this.
  6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

exactly how it worked in the past but was removed. I think the reason was the insane damage you would do to someone who was weak to your magic *really not sure*
    in any case bring negative attunement back!

7. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Melees problem is that it does lower damage per second than magic or bows, has as expected a requirement to be standing next to what you want to kill, but does not have the benefits that a warrior would have in a traditional class based game which is higher overall health and damage mitigation than a mage.

Mages in this game have access to the same stat boosts, armors and damage reduction skills. And generally can not be reliably stopped from casting even with someone hitting them with two swords. That puts melee in a dps race against opponents who can be out of reach who already have a higher dps.

Magic resistances have gone up, that's true. But mages generally can spec for two schools and do just fine or spend their time only hunting the things they are good vs.

8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

What about the adventure level vs attunement issue? Any ideas?

9. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Having a higher adventurer level is always going to be of great benefits. Not the least of which is having higher attunement just by virtue of having invested more xp into skills.

So it's not a clear cut question of one or the other.

Alexander and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I had to learn ranged combat so I could fight effectively in there. It also helps in Elysium and Crag mines.

Alexander and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  11. Sway

Sway Avatar

Get your dex up and you'll miss less I think you want 150 but I'm not 100% on that.

12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I pretty much went the same route.

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm going to see what happens if I push farther into the "shield mage" build. I just unlocked T4 earth and shields, and am working in some water as a secondary element. Also developing more Life magic to get Banish Undead and healing over time.

Between Healing Grace and Soothing Rain, I can count on a few extra hundred HP per battle. And now I can have the earth ele out as well. Hopefully this gets me through!

14. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

nah I have buffed 1/3 that and my melee hit rate is fine.

also you make that sound easy, thats with making dex my 2nd choice stat on gear at AL86.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Melee is pretty powerful. bludgeon and polarms need love and are getting it

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Swords work fine. Cleared out that cabin and the surrounding area with 1 hander swords, leather armor and no spells.

17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

So I took a closer look at my attunements vs adv level and found that there was quite a discrepancy!

While my adv level was in the low 60's, my highest attunement (Earth) was only at 40. So I brought my Earth attune up to 50, as well as my secondary schools (water and life) up to 30.

In the process, my adv level went up a couple of points, but it wasn't much compared to the increase in attunements. I didn't take a precise measurement, but it seemed like every 1 adv level earned me enough xp to raise 10 attument points.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.