Attunement?/Warding?/Resist?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Aldo, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am done, I will never understand this stuff and don't want to anymore. I will just play and hope I am not in a crippled mode due to my ignorance. Pretty disappointed, actually. And if any dev or LB pipes up to say good for me, just playing was the intent all along, well that's lame.

Boris Mondragon and FrostII like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Here is what I wrote to someone else having difficulties understanding the concept.

At the end of this math, the "effective attunement", in other words what is left at the end, is used in another formula, as a power multiplier value to determine the real damage output.

It may sound complicated but it isnt all that bad, basically :
    1 Resistance = 2 attunement
    And warding gives 1 resistance and removes 1 Attunement

If you want other examples explained or anything just let me know. One this I dont know is the power multiplier formula (Chris mentioned it once on stream)

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Warding and resistance are the same thing. Half your attunment is also added to your resist.

The easiest way to understand the warding skills is its a choice. Warding raises your resistance, but reduces magic power. Attunment raises magic power, but also raises resistance.

If you get both, you get even more resist, but the warding will still nuke your magic power.

Steevodeevo, OzzyOsbourne and Aldo like this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This specific quote is something that I've noticed confuses people. Half of your attunement is NOT added to your resistance, half of your attunement is removed from the casters attunement, like what resistance would do.

The reason I say this is I've seen people see the combat formula Ive mentioned, and the think (for a case of 100 attunement and 50 warding) that it was casters attunement - Half Attunement - (Resistance from warding + resistance from attunement), and this is wrong.

Simply a way to say things that can confuse :p

Aldo likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

After all the mechanics are applied to correct the problem that non-magic people had to learn magic to resist it, aren't we back to the original? To maximize resist to magic, non-magic people still have to max attunement and learn resist. What problem has been solved here? I don't even want to think about how warding is involved. Thanks all for your explanations. Really it is appreciated. I will study it again, but frustration is making me blind to what must be obvious.

6. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

So, for me who is Specialized Healing and has no interested in Death Magic it would be worth it to level death warding. This would up my death magic resistance but have no negative effect to my healing ability, right?

Fenris

Aldo likes this.
  7. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

they made it much CHEAPER to get warding at the base lvl by adding these new passives, that is all that has happened. For those wishing to push the limits and already had high attunment, they can now push farther by 'sacrificing' they own attunement which hurts everything in the tree, such as duration of buffs and damage of spells. Some abilities are untouched by the changes such as fireflies for example. Its a great change and adds much more simplicity for new players who dont have as much exp to spend.

Aldo likes this.
  8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

In this case no, we are not back to original. Before, if you wanted resistances, training magic was a requirement, now you can train warding instead, which gives non-magic users an option.

The issue that has appeared from this is that people with way more time on their hand than the rest can spend twice or more the investment to get twice or more the rewards. It would be justified by saying that they did spend twice the time or more, but this goes against the diminishing returns rule that has been in place since ever, and I am afraid it might set a new starting point for mobs. Like I mentioned somewhere else, if they would simply have the combat formula take the highest value of either attunement/2 or warding level, then that would fix everything.

Aldo and Steevodeevo like this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Exactly, the warding skills only have a negative effect on the tree it raises resistance for, so The warding skill in the life tree raises Death Resistance and lowers death Attunement, it has no effect whatsoever on the Life tree. The only reason it is in the life tree is because it is its opposing school, and thus makes sense to train a "Life Skill" to protect yourself to Death magic.

Aldo likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It adds attunememt if it's one of the top ten.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its actually 3x the available resistances from before! The one in the tactics tree is the easiest to raise by far, and gives net +50 resistance (for simplification's sake) to ALL magic trees at once. So you get that, warding skills, then 10 skills in each tree all to GM, and you have a base +150 resist before buffs potions and blessings. I think that's the main thing the mages are up in arms about too.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Has this been worked on? I thought I read someone saying it had no impact on his attunement! Maybe a mistake then!

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It has done that since QA. It's just like any other passive skill in a tree.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Confusing indeed. Watching these threads.... great discussion.

15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I'm in the same boat as Aldo, but maybe for different reasons. I am primarily Death/Air - have been since R30-something. This is the character I want to play. My goal since I started was to focus on the bottom-left quadrant of the magic tree (Death/Air/Moon/Chaos). I've not touched Moon or Chaos much, only because of the following:
    • The Liche's and other Undead told me I was wrong.
    • I had to learn the combat skills in Life, Sun and Fire to deal with the Undead more effectively.
    • That wasn't altogether correct, because for those combat skills to be really effective, you have to get a higher attunement in those schools. So I have to learn other skills in Life, Sun and Fire to be more effective.
    • Since I use a Staff and want to get as much DPS as possible, I took up Bludgeon and it's associated skills.
    At this point, I can't see the benefit of Warding for me. I don't want to gimp what is apparently an already gimped character since a lot of the worthwhile mobs I want to fight are Undead. I can get Fire and Air Warding, but there aren't too many mobs I'll be fighting that use Water and Earth.

Conundrum.

Fister Magee, Aldo and Barugon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.