Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Auto attack disables randomly

Discussion in 'Release 31 Bug Forum' started by Jade, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade

Jade Avatar

7/12/2016 1:23 PM
    Title: Auto attack disables randomly
    Reproduction Rate: 40%
    Blocker? yesish
    Details: In about 50 fights I ONLY auto attacked. In a large percentage of fights the auto attack just stops. I have tried to disable and re enable auto attack but still it will not reingage in auto attacking.
    Steps to Reproduce: Attack wolves and do nothing but auto attack
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10GHz (8) System RAM: 16310
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 GPU RAM: 1985
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.442.Date.07.11.16
    Area: Novia_R1_Hills03_01
    Loc: (47.7, 57.2, 76.7)

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Attenwood

Confirmed many, many times - and I can show you movies of this if you wish/need.

I can be in AutoAttack and have a critter run up to me and often I just stand there for several seconds with the thing beating on me until AutoAttack finally kicks in and fights back.
    Often, I can be hitting with AutoAttack - face to face (I'm swords) - and it will just quit for no reason.

@Jade2 is exactly correct.

Jade2 likes this.
  3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If possible, please provide a reproduction case for us to observe this easily, including weapons and skills used, and what is being fought when observed as occurring. Thanks.

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Here's a list of unknown based on your cases:
    1) what mode are you in: are you using the reticule or interactive (ie. mouse pointer on the screen)
    2) Melee or ranged
    3) What is meant by stops?
    4) Are you losing auto attack between fights or during the same fight.
    5) Where is the reticle pointing (there was a bug that was fixed where deco permissions was using the reticle location even though you had the mouse active, so permission being dipsalyed were from the wrong item.)

I'm sure there's more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The reason I think those are important is that I've seen cases of auto attack stopping. This is from a melee perspective. Range may act differently, but its important to know that.

1) During a fight with auto attack enabled and using interactive mode (ie. I have the mouse cursor and not the reticle), the avatar will stop attacking. Even pressing the auto attack enabled key doesn't start the avatar attacking again. Then I realize that the mouse is once again overtop a UI item or a loot item. Moving the mouse starts the avatar fighting again.

2) If I finish a battle and loot something I need to turn auto attack on again. But if I jump from fight to fight I dont' have to touch auto attack to start the next fight. When I encounter the next nearby enemy I just start wailing away at the guy, I don't need to use the auto attack hot key again. (I haven't really thought about whether there is a need to turn auto attack back on again if there is a long time between fights.)

3) Sheathing and unsheatihing the weapon requires you to enable auto attack again. (This is from memory. I haven't paid attention to it lately.)

One or more of these may be acting as intended, that's been my assumption so far. There may be plans to change the design and their behavior, I don't know.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, @Attenwood here's a short video of AutoAttack stopping during a fight, I believe sufficient details are included via the voice over....

However, if there's anything you'd like to know beyond what's included in the video, I will be very happy to provide whatever detail you need.

And I'll be happy to work directly or indirectly with you or @BurningToad to resolve this issue....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I've been using dual wield short swords and I notice occasionally I'll get a situation where my avatar just stops attacking for a few seconds.. even when it's only attacking 1 mob

DragonScale likes this.
  7. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I built a new mage yesterday and found that while fighting low level skeletons with all beginning gear and store bought shield/hand axe (no spells used) I would occasionally stop auto-attacking for several seconds for no apparent reason. If I just waited for a bit (5-6 seconds?) I would again start swinging my axe.

Dariog likes this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I don't have time to get into game, but some observation about the video: It looks like auto-attack stopped when the cursor was drawn across the dead bear. It also seemed to stop when the cursor was below the hotbar. Perhaps cursor position on screen is the cause of this... I need to test.

9. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Aldo appears to be correct! We have been able to reproduce this issue which seems to be tied to the cursor hovering over hotbar skill glyphs. For as long as the mouse is over the hotbar, auto-attack seems to pause, and will begin again once it's moved off.

Thank you all for the additional information, and the video that helped us narrow in on the cause!

Bug submitted!

Dariog, FrostII, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

not to toot my own horn here, but I mentioned that days ago.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Attenwood I was lucky unlucky enough to experience AutoAttack not initiating while my cursor was directly over the wolf that was attacking me head-on (and NOT over the hotbar).

I whacked him finally one time with one of my combat glyphs and then stopped, and the Avatar continued on - in AutoAttack... So it WILL kick in, but it's really unpredictable.

Unfortunately, I didn't have ShadowPlay in effect and don't have a video. But, I will get one - since I just witnessed it and just know it will happen again.

Wanted to get this latest info to you, so that you understand that the "cursor over the hotbar" is NOT the only time AutoAttack doesn't kick in.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.