Bank transfers

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Waxillium, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I'd like to hire out bank transfers. It would be great if someone could go to the job board and pick up bank transfers to deliver. Each delivery would have a fee and you could only take on X# of transfers at one time.

The transfers would have a time limit and if you fail the job goes back on the board.

Perhaps people would need to go through a Shardfall zone or network. (Like that strange alter roadway in the Dragon Reborn series)

2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

This is cool but I'd mark it up as something players should do as caravans. It was actually one of the things I was looking forward to in another game was being able to become a trusted broker/tradesman who could move items for other players. It would also open a market for people to become hired mercenaries. Obviously a trader would only hire people to go with him he trusted because your reputation is on the line if you fail to deliver the goods by either getting killed by pkers or thieving the goods. A system like this helps build the community and makes people more reliant on each other rather than game mechanics. :)

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    this could be done through role play and possibly guilds. It would add much to the game to have "couriers" to transport goods to and fro. I believe thats why they designed control points and limited quick travel, as to ad these kind of things to the game and not be easily bypassed. I like the idea also, but not sure if the game should handle it as to people just repeating the same "quest" over and over, and leaving the player crafters behind.

TheMadHermit, Kvow [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm all for individuals and caravans performing the transfer duties for banks.

I don't want any "magic" transportation. It needs to have some risk. Maybe not "full loot" risk, but real risk none the less.

5. Drocis the Devious

Great question, the answer like many things depends on what the devs want to do. I could design 100 different ways to do it, with varying degrees of risk. Do the devs want there to be a chance that 1 item can be ransomed? Do the devs want there to be a chance that the transfer fails and the items take longer to get there because of the failure? Do the devs want there to be a mixture of both? I have no idea. They've never spoken about any of this.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If it is a small amount of items we should be able to carry it ourselves.

If we want to move a whole bank worth of stuff...

Maybe we could rent a wagon to transport all of our stuff across the land. Bank transfers shouldn't be free. It isn't in real life. Also the wagon could show up on the overland map as we move along across the land. Maybe it has to stay on the actual roadways and can get stuck or have unusually slow movement through forests. "maybe the wagon could show up on the overland map to other PvPers if you are flagged for PvP too".

If we get caught in a random encounter we might need to defend the wagon from bandits. If we die we should have the PvP loot mechanism in place to be looted from the wagon, and if that isn't full loot then the remaining stuff goes back to the bank and we need to rent another wagon to transport our stuff. Although since we have a wagon with us if we win the battle in the random encounter we have a wagon with us to carry all the loot since we can carry the extra loot in the wagon so we won't run the risk of being overloaded.

*********************'

If we do have wagons like this then people who do lots of resource gathering might be able to use pack animals and full sized wagons to carry the load of massive resource gathering. The risk is getting robbed of massive amounts of resources, especially in PvP zones where the wagon could change ownership upon being successfully robbed (if there is more than just resources in the wagon then according to PvP loot maybe only the resources and one item can be looted).

7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I love the idea random risk with respect to looting but:

1) pledge items should be exempt and
    2) if you're into realism, why would someone take, I dunno, your dagger, but not your gold?

8. Drocis the Devious

I agree with both points. Ask the devs, looting isn't functional yet.

9. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'd be for making a mechanic that includes risk. They said there would be some quests where you could be thrown into PVP (if you're wanting to do that particular quest) by notifying PVPers somehow that you're doing the quest and they would be on the lookout to hunt you down. It could work in a similar fashion where they have to track you on the overworld map and if they catch you, you all go into an instance where you have to protect the cargo or it gets looted.

10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It could be PvE as well. I was just using PvP as an example in the OP because I hope PvP does well and is interesting.

11. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Could be but I think it would be more challenging with real people hunting you down in that scenario. There would likely be a lot of loot if you needed to hire a caravan and it would give the PVP crowd something new and exciting to do to keep them active and happy. I'd be down for that. :)

12. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Oh yeah, Captain Jack is behind this 1000%
    Get himself a good old gank squad going after all these bank transferrs, especially if the items might be looted away from the person who wanted it transferred. The whole idea is so exploitalicious, it is making him thirsty!

Captain Jack though, gonna move his own stuff obviously, he is no fool.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Anti PK types might be interested as well to find a lone traveler and party up with the guy in the encounter so they could help defend him if any PKs come across his path.

14. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Didn't really imagine the actual items being transferred. As if players would put up with that. A symbolic deed that would be lootable in PvP that you could sell to a fence in a lawless town.

Was also not thinking huge money here. More like when you took noble NPC's around the world in UO for those that experienced that.

It is true that Captain Jack is no fool. Please get your gank squad ready. The world needs you. (serious)

16. Curt

Curt Avatar

IF is a service that moves items from one town to another:
    It should take more time than it would take you to walk from the first town to the second.
    I don't think should be possible to get the actual transferred items stolen but the transfer could have a % chance to generate a caravan/caravan mission
    and the frequency that caravans got disrupted? could influence how much the fee to transfer was,

17. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

They would likely be the first people to sign up as mercenaries. It would guarantee them action. :)

Tahru, Kvow [MGT] and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I agree with points 1 and 3 completely, but there needs to be risk. That's what helps build trust in the market. People would have to properly prepare for anything. Plus, it could make for some interesting rivalries and wars.

Of course, a person could always choose to move the items themselves little bits at a time too. It would add some very interesting aspects to the game though. You'd really have to have a relationship with your broker/merchant/caravan leader who in turn would need to trust his mercenaries to protect the caravan. Obviously there would need to be a lot hashed out and it's just an idea.

Transfer fee should really be independently chosen by the parties. Someone who has done a lot of runs or who runs a trustworthy business should be able to charge accordingly for services whatever the host is willing to pay or whatever the two parties agree upon.

Kvow [MGT] and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Even without a bandit looting the courier, what is stopping from the courier player picking up the items from the bank and just selling them, destroying them, keeping them?

I think this is a neat concept and I like enabling players to create emergent gameplay, but I fear this would be a low priority feature.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

If the person "drops" the deed they lose the gold they would have gained. A person who picks it up and fences it would then get the value but it would be at the couriers cost and not the owner.

I don't mind it being a low priority feature if I start seeing some amazing ideas that have players interacting over goals they are trying to achieve or prevent. I never really assume an idea I have is going to get into the game.

enderandrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.