Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Base Combat Improvements

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This is an idea I had for base combat (bladed weapons only).

It allows for blocking and countering within the Bladed Weapons Sigil. But I believe the same type of logic could be applied to every combat and magic sigil. Please keep in mind this is a concept and is not meant to instantly replace the current system.

THIS ASSUMES THERE IS NO OTHER METHOD OF ATTACK BUT BLADED WEAPONS. FOR THIS DISCUSSION THERE'S NO NEED TO TALK ABOUT MAGIC OR BLUNT WEAPONS OR ARCHERY.

[​IMG]

Here's some nuance that may not be instantly apparent to the reader:

• All attacks with a bladed weapon can now be blocked at 100% effectiveness regardless of the attack damage.
    • The above image assumes that a player is only using a bladed weapon and does not have a weapon or shield in their off hand.
    • Some skills now require PREREQUISITES to use. For example, if you want to use the Riposte skill, you will first need to use a successful Parry skill. This means that during the 5 seconds your parry is active, you need to be attacked by your opponent. This will block 100% of your opponents attack, and allow you to use the Riposte skill as a counter attack!
    • The image above is a skill tree. Meaning you have to train in a skill like Block before you can train in the Feint Skill.
    • A notable concern might be that combat (especially in PVP) would extend beyond the 15 to 30 second goal of the development team. But I believe this is just a byproduct of the amount of damage performed. In this system, a person could be killed very quickly or over a long period of time. It would totally depend on how much damage the developers want players to do to each other.
    • I'm not part of the dev team so I have no idea what the right numbers should be for damage or cool downs. This can be adjusted as needed. The beauty of this system however is that because all attacks can be blocked, damage and cool downs are not nearly as important as they currently are in R12. So please don't get fixated on numbers like "20 seconds" or "100%", all numbers are relative to each other.
    • The Glyph system otherwise works the same as it has before, players still build decks and use combos. This is only a concept that I wanted to share with the community to solicit feedback.

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I like the coherence and simplicity of the concept. Rounded numbers (0%-25%-50%-100%) and general rules make it easier to understand how to combat with weapons. I would know what to expect from a enemy blow viewing what the equipment my opponent is welding and what skill is being "cast".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.