Behind the curve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrJones77, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJones77

MrJones77 Avatar

I haven't been able to get as much playtime as i would like do to work and other obligations. Just wondering how far behind the curveball I'll be if this current trend continues or should I not concern myself with such ideas?

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Don't worry. If you have a tax free lot deed you should place it if you haven't already, but other than that all you'll really miss out on is knowing the current state of game mechanics.

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The game is designed in such way once your skill is at around level 60, you're already at the point where you're only up to 20% weaker than those with GM on the same skill. So you're not missing much. Based on several veteran players I talked to. Skill level 80 seems to be the most optimal number you want to keep consider the efficient of the skill and the focus you need each time you use it.

It's not really a curve ball, but more like a steep hill and then become small incline toward plateau.

4. Selene

Selene Avatar

It depends... if you're one of those "gotta be the best with the highest stats" types.. it might be hard to catch up.

But if you're more of a leisurely "enjoy the ride" type.. there is nothing to worry about. The game can really be enjoyable at any pace.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What's your play style?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree with others. You are probably not as far behind as you may think. Many people who play this game now are longer term players who are not in a rush to do anything. Play at your own pace.

I dont think this game is a power gamers game. Ive seen these people come into our guild, power their way up to adv lvl 100 farming pass's for hours non-stop. These guys burn out pretty quick and quit. But these people act like this in all games and are probably better apt to play a game designed for power gamers.

In pre-release there really isnt a real need to yet, the benefit to being high level is 1) to show it off (No one honestly really cares, in fact it probably has a negative connotation to most normal people if someone plays a game 20 hours a day. Im hard core casual at adv lvl 82 and even I think I have put to much time in the game lately and ignored real life) 2) to be powerful for NPC's (and this content is weak at high level still) and 3) to be powerful for PvP (this content is still really weak right now).

I think the smart ones have focused on raising passive skills that will matter more on release like crafting and social.

Moiseyev Trueden, Numa and moko like this.
  7. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Whose curve are you measuring your progress against?

I humbly suggest you play SotA in whatever way you enjoy most and follow your own advice to "not concern myself with such ideas".

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This isn't Eve...

You can become competitive (catch up) relatively easily... The lower levels advance very quickly... Once you're reached the mid to upper levels skill can make up the difference as (as others have stated) there are diminishing returns at the higher levels and they're much more difficult to achieve and maintain.

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Kinda hits a topic me and brother were talking about.
    Is there any listed comment from a dev actually explaining the skill maintenence? And the diminishing returns? I know that skills take more and more and more to fill up as you get along, but lets say i never die.. is there actually diminishing returns or a maintenence fee that prevents me from taking all skills to 200? If so is there any calculations ? Or a dev post about said issue?

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Currently, nope. If you never die you never have to worry.

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Rufus states otherwise? And yea thats what i thought.. and why the death decay seems so stupid to me. So i play safer and i can still max everything?
    Is there a maintenence being implemented ? Or any real posts about this other then speculation?

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Higher levels take exponentially more experience to achieve... Assuming two characters start at a month a part, grind 24/7 at the same rate, and never die, the difference between the two will never close, but the difference will have no meaning... Eventually they will be functionally the same level even though the first character has a month's more experience.

The 'Knee' in the curve seems to be somewhere around 80 to 100.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Currently, even if you die constantly, it doesn't really affect you because the amount being taken is minuscule compared to how long it takes to earn it back. However, I think you misunderstood what Rufus was saying. It isn't the knock them down to balance out aspect he is talking about, but instead the exponentially smaller improvement vs exponentially larger xp requirements that the higher levels have (or at least that's how I understood it).

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Right, but it really means i can take everything up to 100 and eventually 200 without consequence.. and eventually, long term, most people will be able to run any role they want with almost equal efficiency as anyone else.
    Not a big fan.. i get that it would take forever for me to be ranged 200, taming 200, blades 200 or w.e.. but even skyrim had caps so one character cant do EVERYTHING.

And if death is the only thing to slow that.. i think thats a terrible system. Wasnt there talk about multi characters? why would u ever do multi characters? I want to play a mage, can just start leveling it on my tank, with no real consequence?

weird.
    Just got impression from the previos post the was actual diminishing returns , and i hoped that he ment at a point, lets say im running 10 skills at 200, it would take me 2mil or 5mil to get a new skill up to 40 for example. Limiting characters, by making the higher your total exp, each skill cost more not just as they increase..
    ranged 200 might take 50 mil exp.. taking aimed shot to 200 right after would take 55 mil exp total... taking fire arrow then would take 60.. etc etc untill it has same effect as a cap.
    bah boy can dream i suppose..

Numa likes this.
  15. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Not true. In Skyrim, you could master all the skills.

The legendary skill feature effectively removes the level 81 level cap, so that you can attain very high levels. A side effect of the level cap removal is that you continue to gain a perk point each level. You could theoretically get to a high enough level to have enough perk points to get every perk from every tree.

The progression system is very good in SOTA, thanks to the absence of hardcap and configuration of softcaps. Yes, you can learn to do everything, but you will do that worse than anyone who devote his time to master one unique skill or skill tree. That's the deal and, in my opinion, it's quite realistic and enjoyable, both ways.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

There's a reason why dedicated bowmen don't use swords but prefer daggers. Swords and Bows simply use a different set of muscles altogether (different mindsets too). Hopefully we see the same degree of attunement clashes the magic trees have for the offensive trees so some of that interesting weighing of which talent to truly develop is reflected there.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The thing is that decay also takes exponentially larger xp when you get the death penalty, at the same scale. And it does this for every skill, so your death penalty xp loss will mostly correspond to how many GMs you have. And that's also part of how the soft cap works.

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Now. this cant possibly be for crafting too long term right? wont that absolutly kill any player to plauer economy? unless they add high minimum skills to certain gathers and much higher minimums for productions?

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The key as stated by others is what yo YOU consider the curve.

If you are they type who has to be the top 10% you are lost,:( sorry but you will never catch up - e v e r.:oops:

But if you play this game to play this game you are fine.:cool:

Getting into the 60s in most skills is sufficient to cruise along:) - 80 is the ideal mark since that is where you get 5 glyphs.

Anything above 80 is just simply an extra layer of frosting.:D

If you are a crafter, that may be a different story all together and I would say you are behind the curve, actually not even on the same road. :confused: You will be ale to make stuff for yourself but if you where trying to generate a market for you goods you are, well, lost.

Again this all boils down to what you think the "curve" is.:)

Go out play, relax enjoy.:cool:

and if you need help holler I and others will be happy to help you "stumble"o_O along to "catch up" ;)

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

This seems reasonable to me. 60 is about the average level in many other RPG/MMO games that is considered high end. 50-60 is also the minimum recommended level for PvP in those games.

21. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

*sigh*

In order to "max" out all adventure skills......you will need 7.63 E+12 exp. That's 7,630,000,000,000 exp.

If you could gain 1 million exp every hour....24 hours a day....7 days a week (You go girl!) It would take 87 years to max out your character.

That is the cap. Time. All that death decay nonsense is meaningless.....an invention to give the children something to complain about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.