Black Friday pledge discount

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Satyr Hatter, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

If you came into the store to pick up your pre-order on release day and saw a stack of the same item on sale for 15% less, then how would you feel? Would you go there again if they refused to give you the discount?

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would actually buy several copies, wait for the sale to end....then sell them.

From my point of view I could argue that because of the 15%, I have spent maybe around $800 more than I needed. Those who didn't pledge early enough to get the tiers at the lower prices could argue they have paid over the odds. The truth is that at a given point in time people make a decision to make a purchase, at that moment the view is that whatever they buy is worth that particular amount...... And indeed it still is, in fact depending on the success of the game, your pledge could be worth a lot more.

I don't regret spending money on this game at whatever level, we are still in fund raising mode to create funds to boost the development of the game. Not only that but it will also encourage new players to make a purchase along with existing players to boost their pledge.

Personally I find the 15% exciting and I support it 100%, I'm not precious that someone might be able to purchase something a few $ less for a short period.

3. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I agree with OP on this it does seem like a slap in the face to those that backed early, they could have at least back dated the bonus to make it inclusive for them. In short the idea for backing early was the cheaper price but it seems that is no longer the case with the 15% discount in effect.
    On a side note I have taken advantage of this discount in the past as saving money makes sense but at the same time I do feel that it is insulting to the earlier supporters of the game and it makes sense why I see a lot of negative feedback out there.
    I understand they introduced this to drive sales but there are other ways to create revenue without frustrating your original backers.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big support of this game, but I also believe in honest feedback when it can be constructive and I'm surprised to see this sale back again after last time.

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Every time they do a sale it's the same old arguments. Sale exist in the real world and no company gives you a refund for the difference. Yet for some reason in the gaming world people feel that they should be compensated for the difference.

5. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

In the real world when you preorder an item and you find a cheaper item elsewhere or the same item is discounted they give you the discount.

TroubleMagnet likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It's really sad how some people seem to object to what is in simple terms a marketing exercise that is open to everyone.

The whole point is to encourage more people to the game and to help raise more money for development.....this is in everyone's interests.

Everyone knew there was a discount last year, it should be no suprise there is another one. No one has been disadvantaged, people chose to 'pledge' (not pre-order)...'pledge' an amount of money at a given point in time in return for a copy of the game and other swag should the game launch.

Anyone who is so unhappy about the price they paid could in fact sell their pledge......it's clear to see that there are plenty of people willing to buy them now and there will still be plenty of people in a few months.

7. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Talk about blowing it way out of proportion selling your account because you're unhappy about a discount being offered.
    At any case I think Dallas understands the issue while also understanding a more realistic outcome:
    "We understand that some Founders may choose not to upgrade because of this (even with the 10% Pledge Bonus Promotion). We completely respect and honor their choice, and we remain deeply appreciative of whatever pledge they provide to help fund the development of Shroud of the Avatar."

I'm happy with Dallas response and will do exactly as he states and won't upgrade my account further but I'm pleased to have supported SOTA both financially and socially outside of the internal SOTA community as I think it's an incredible game supported by an equally incredible community.

Thanks Gabriel for posting this on the other thread.

Margard and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  8. Satyr Hatter

Satyr Hatter Avatar

Yeah, I'm not furious or anything, just feels yucky dropping more than a G to support a game in the intro stages, then see all the other people who contributed at a later day get bonuses. They certainly took less risk and got a greater return.

In fairness, it's irrelevant to bring up my founder rewards, I could just as easily bought a founder responder account then paid to upgrade it for way less money.

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I didn't upgrade a year ago black Friday because I wagered they would do it again this year just before release. Well I was half right, now just to wait for release. What will I buy next year... Maybe a station if it gets into the store then.

10. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

except the reason we are still allowed to do this was as a reward FOR pledging early. They could have just said you only get whatever you were up to when Kickstarter ended and thats it but they didn't

I must say I am actually really tempted by this. I have a knight and a patron which were both bought during kickstarter and I decided to get rid of 1 of them to go up to knight marshal level but this has actually tempted me enough that I am seriously considering going up to Lord level

mbomber and Duke Invidia (Envy) like this.
  11. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Definitely the best time to upgrade as a Royal Founder if you upgrade now you should get a considerable bonus which if placed into your pledge should give you lot selection over others or alternatively I guess you could just use it on some add on store items if you would prefer a more direct reward both options are good.

On a side now now I'm no longer funding SOTA I can devote all my disposable income to SC and as they say every grey cloud has a silver lining, we'll my god I think that lining is called the 890 Jump this has to be the finest ship to join my fleet.

[​IMG]

TroubleMagnet and mbomber like this.
  12. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Lovely...

[​IMG]

TroubleMagnet and Deliverence like this.
  13. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

Nice to see two other 890 Jump club members!

Deliverence likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I like that it applies to the stretch goals store too, a nice promotion. Might be time to show some more lovin to those stretch goals :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.