Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bookshelves

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This release I realized for the first time how painful it is to look at every book one by one on a bookshelf.

My suggestion would be to change the way bookshelves work, and allow for a list inventory box to pop up showing all the books on a particular bookshelf in a single location.

Bonus points if you can link near by bookshelves to the same inventory list! This would allow someone to click on one bookshelf and review all the books available by Title, Author, and perhaps even Subject and Fiction vs. Non-Fiction.

I think this might come in handy over time as the world evolves.

:)

2. Kether

Kether Avatar

All my likes to this, specially given that most of the books are horizontal and can't be turned around!

The only issue I can see is that sometimes a shelf can have other items that are not books (I'm thinking vials in an alchemist's lab) and sometimes even both of them.

What do you think of this? Shelves continue working as they do now, but we can now craft "book bunchs" (mostly, like all those non-interactive books there are in NPC libraries) that you can place in the shelves and act as the containers (with, if possible, the ability to link them as you said). Then we could retain the decoration flexibility of a shelf and not considering seppukku when wanting to have a nice looking (or even useful!) library

3. Drocis the Devious

I think allowing bookshelves to work just as they do - but adding additional functionality that allows them to list the number of book (and ignore other items) seems like it would be feasible.

4. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Great suggestion.

A little tweak: All shelves work like cabinets/trunks, except their contents are out in the open. So you can hover-over, grab (or hopefully examine) items one by one or double-click the shelf to bring up the inventory for the whole shelf (books or otherwise).

5. Womby

Womby Avatar

From the perspective of someone who intends to run a bookstore, I would like customers to have to option of reading the first n pages of a book they see standing on a bookshelf, and if they like what they see, selecting it for purchase. Without having to grant them kindred permissions.

6. Drocis the Devious

That's a great idea, Womby. A "check out" option might be good too - for libraries. If not returned a tax might be levied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.