Brewing Ingredients - Growing

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Anybody know yet what the growing speed is for the new ingredients? Specifically Barley. I'm going to guess medium. I suppose I'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Here is my best guess based on other seeds: they cost 16g per seed so I believe they will take 16 hours between waterings (8 hours in a greenhouse). I base this on wheat, mandrake and nightshade, all 16g seeds. *fingers-crossed*

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

I tested this on QA it takes 24 hours in a greenhouse, 48 outside to mature each of the new plants.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Just to follow up, barley is indeed a medium speed plant. (16 hour watering cycle.)

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Got some drach boch coming up already and hope to put a 25 year whiskey in today !

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  6. Lained

Lained Avatar

Good for the double XP weekend.

[​IMG]

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I've got about 50 casks of the 25 year going. I was going to fill the room, but I'm going to do it like the distilleries and stagger it, and add about 25 casks every 2-3 months, so that I have them maturing regularly.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I hope you didn't get the water for all those out of a well.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not exactly. There's a player in the PoT I live in that sells water in batches of 1000 for 1500k on his vendor. It's right around the corner from my green house, so even at the snail's pace it takes me to walk it back home, it's not very far.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

By the way: Growing wheat to make yeast culture is not cheaper than buying yeast culture, unless you draw the water yourself.

Jaesun, Fionwyn Wyldemane and Lained like this.
  11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Is there any in-game use for the alcohol? Like, i mean, practical use. Avatar getting drunk does not count, lol.

I rushed to make some beer, whiskey and wine casks, but after I finished I don't know what I'm going to do with them. I do like to look at them though, they look nice.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not currently. I don't recall hearing if there any other plans. But since most of what I made won't be ready until 2019, there's plenty of time for them to come up with something.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I have to say, though, I'm not a huge fan of the way brewing was implemented. It's already a zillion steps just to get a barrel; it's annoying to have to also turn the barrel into a cask, and it's really annoying to have to literally turn the brewing ingredients into "brewing ingredients" before combining with a cask. It seems like maybe we could just combine the barley/yeast/water/barrel at a cooking station and get a cask that way, instead of the extra steps of turning a barrel into a cask, and ingredients into "ingredients", before combining those into a filled cask.

Or add batching/speed skills to components and end products. I spent hours last night making a few dozen casks of whiskey, because there are so many steps that take sooooo long. (That said, I can also see a side business making/selling barrels and/or casks for an enterprising crafter, given what a PITA it is...)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Woodchuck likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, if pugilism is practical....

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

That's why I'm hoping they make the alcohol of some practical use, otherwise there won't be as much demand for it except for decoration. I wouldn't mind selling barrels or casks since they're such a pain to make.

16. MetricPig

MetricPig Avatar

Perhaps alcohol could be chaotic and add a random buff at a random level of effectiveness.

What if food/drink expired (went bad) over time; perhaps losing effectiveness before eventually becoming worthless (or fertilizer?)? Exception being some drinks which mature with age...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Woodchuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.