Buff Insanity Part 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I finally got my image hosting site back so I figured I would dig back into buff insanity. We just had a major update from Chris in the duration of buffs so I dont need to cast as often, but its still a little insane.

This is an image of the buffs I run 100% of the time for normal farming (yes, there are many other buffs taht pop on the bar during fighting like heals and such. There is more ob potions, potions, music buffs and buffs as well as notifications that pop up in fight.

Buff insanity.

[​IMG]

Watch the new way to cast buffs from a second deck:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147853678

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Aribeth

Aribeth Avatar

maybe a toxicity level is needed?

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They need to make each buff that you add lower more and more maximum focus. So if you have 3 it's not that bad, but if you have 10 you'll have like zero max focus.

If should also work that the more powerful your skill level in a buff, the more max focus it costs.

Wouldn't mind seeing a slow drip reagent cost too.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you need all those for normal farming, you may be farming above your level.

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

LOL! Awesome! I guess everyone will have a buff deck now! :D

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I agree witth Baron. Make long lasting buff take up max focus the way pets do. The answer to buff insanity is not making them easier, it's making it so you have to choose which ones you really want, for the given tradeoff. Apparently time is not a tradeoff that is wanted, so provide a different tradeoff.

7. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I agree. Right now I use a buff-deck to 5-stack all my buff spells before I go into combat, so the buffs are far more powerful and last longer than using a single glyph.
    Not only do I cast the 5-stack buffs on myself, but also on several of my party members.
    So basically, I can run around with all these buff spells active (on me and other players) with no penalty.

One option would be:
    1) Each Buff cast on another player could create an ongoing focus drain, like having a pet ( as suggested by Baene Thorrstad)
    2) Buffs cast on oneself may not create an ongoing focus drain, but as you cast more buffs on yourself, each additional buff could be less powerful and less duration. For example,
    Spell Buffs 1 to 3: 100% efficacy and duration
    Spell Buff 4: 50% efficacy and duration
    Spell buff 5: 25% efficacy and duration
    Spell buff 6 or more: 12% efficacy and duration​
    3) Buffs from Potions, devotionals, and magical items are not influenced by the above.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

What's the problem? If you don't want to cast that many buffs before combat, don't. There is already a tradeoff, you need time and to switch to a buff deck to set it up. I don't understand the need for a focus penalty?

I have buff decks setup, and I don't use them all the time because it's usually unnecessary and takes a minute or 2 to cast. I'm not getting what the problem is here, can someone please elaborate?

9. Milkdrop

Milkdrop Avatar

How about just make buffs non stackable if its such a meh thing to do?
    tbh I find the buffdeck and stack em to 5 for buffing up a pain in the rear anyhow. ^^`
    It is tedious yet the minmaxer inside of me demands it to be done. ;_;

But having buffs which are supposed to make you stronger suddenly have a negative side effect seems entirely counter productive.
    For the pet it kinda makes sense as it is a new entity on the playfield you have to supply with focus/mana to be there in the first place, you have to sustain it etc. ... but for a buff I can't really see the relation.
    I would instantly get the exp back I put into any buff ever used and screw buffs entirely - go 100% passives, why would I reduce my max focus pool by force as a healer for example?

That just seems wrong. :/

I do agree there is a lot of buffs but thats only happens because people pick them from all possible kind of skill trees, but instead of attaching negative effects to them - how about you just limit them to say 8 or 10 a time that can be active and the last slot can be overwritten by whatever is cast next.

Like EverQuest had a buff limit and as expansions crawled on you could extend that with advanced ability skills you would level up.
    Not saying we should have a skill to extend the amount of buffs we can have, just an example that a hard set buff "limit" maybe the better and easier to do than screwing over a healer for just using some buffs and defensives and instantly having a chunk of focus being gone poof just cause said healer dares to even use a few buffs.

P.S.:
    I don't see a problem with buffs right now either, aside from to many icons... no reason to nerf something that horribly just cause you hate how your UI ends up looking, thats a design issue on the visual end but not on the gameplay level... I am squishy enough as is even with 4-5 defensives running.

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The only change that make any sense is the one that takes buffs and reduces effects for multiples (better yet limits # of buffs you can have up)

If you do anything that affects buffs because of this and lower them or timers or ANYTHING negative you are going to once again punish the lower tier player.

If a player wants to work up the skills and train buffs Good for them.

Sure this does look a little wonky and buffs lasting an hour seem over the edge BUT again the time was put in to train them so they are deserved.

BE VERY SMART IN HOW THIS IS DEALT WITH . . .

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree.

Adam Crow, Time Lord and fonsvitae like this.
  12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If i would buff all this, i am busy buffing longer than i can play :p

I agree with BDF and the Jarl of Ironhall (met your friends today @Baene Thorrstad and we had some nice RP in the Outskirts).

Limiting Buffs and not making them so powerfull and have people run around with 10 buffs - all this elite master of everything gaming will get nerfed -
    i forsee, be ready, i am the Seer and i know it :cool:

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

Oh come on, we should not need buff decks. It's daft that we need 5 minutes prep for 10 minutes of playtime. Okay for raids or bosses, but for farming? Give us a good duration buff from a single glyph and for those with the stomach to use a buff deck give them better buffs for every glyph stacked. Not longer buffs, but better buffs.

It all well and good making a complex, open ended combat system, but this is a GAME and we are here to ENJOY ourselves. For those who enjoy min/maxing, give them rewards but don't punish the rest of us.

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is exactly how it works right now.

Time Lord and fonsvitae like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't really want to sit around and mess about 5stacking buffs - that's a bit of a pain and not really necessary for things I normally fight. I think this is just unnecessary and makes the buffing sequence take overly long.
    I am happy with the increased durations, but due to differences in gear and attunement, I've got one that lasts nearly an hour, one that's 40 mins, one that's 30 mins ...so basically have to rebuff at the 30 min mark.
    I think adding a max focus penalty for these is a bit stupid, though, and just adds unneeded frustration when so many already have focus problems without going blessing food food - and even then, run out if trying to kill anything with more than 1500 hp.

However, I wouldn't be against just making the longer term buffs last "until cancelled" - and then if they need to have a sustained focus cost (a REASONABLE one, like 10-20 each max) I'd be okay with it. Just the 3 stat buffs, every thing else is more an in cobat use. Sustained focus cost isn't needed if you have to constantly recast the things, at least its not every 3 minutes now.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Harclubs

Harclubs Avatar

I am outraged! How dare they do something sensible. At this rate, I'll have nothing to complain about.

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  17. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I don't really see any issue here. It makes perfect sense that you would have to use a ton of buffs to fight end game mobs. They have already made them much easier with longer times. There is certainly no reason to reduce or limit them. They are already limited and controled with the amount of experience needed in each tree of magic just to get them good.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Scanphor, Mac2, Adam Crow and 2 others like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I agree with that :rolleyes: I don't see adding penalties on others as anything that's needed here. Why penalize anyone else for achieve more o_O It makes no sense unless you're jealous of what another player can achieve that's greater than yourself. All I've read here are weak arguments that say they want to effect any greater player's abilities to buff :confused:

:eek: "Flurry" :confused: This is a buff I believe has been marginalized through our evolution into balancing everything else. It's a DOA Buff... "Dead on Arrival", because with the time it takes to add the buff, the swiftness of the swing before the buff could have swung the weapon the same amount of times that the buff provides. The Flurry Buff's problem, is that it's useful solution isn't within it's duration, it's solution to it's effectiveness should lay within it's speed of the swing to help it surpass it's time needed to have initiated it.

[​IMG]

I invite you all to PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong on that or agree...
    Does anyone use this skill buff effectively o_O?
    I've never seen it listed on any high player's used skills list :confused:~TL~

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Barugon, Adam Crow and Mac2 like this.
  19. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

How about having some of those buffs (that dont already) have some negative affects.

ie Air's embrace gives +10 dex but -6 int and str
    and so on for enlightenment and Strength of earth

Celestial blessing could give a negative bonus to physical attacks

Douse should have a negative affect when a freezing attack is being used on you

etc etc

Make people think about what buffs they have on.

20. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Yes please and dont forgot to reduce the duration of the town devotionals buffs and add extra negative side effects to them. Also with food buffs, they last way to long !
    And please remove Death Field, Stone Arrow and Chain Lightning... its to strong, force ppl to use other skills instead ! It's fun !

I wonder whats going on...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.