Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bugs and Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Release 26 Bug Forum' started by Quindorrian, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

I have a brand new, high-end iMac. Currently, the game will only let me play at 1600 X 900 which is a very odd resolution. If I try to change it, it immediately changes back.

Additionally, inside the game I have some performance issues. What is odd about it is that the performance is worse when I'm indoors and looking down at the ground. When I look up (more visual range), it runs much faster. This is the opposite of expectation and indicates something is wrong with the graphics engine. It could be because the odd resolution is using my CPU (i7 4Gz) more and this was coded inefficiently. When I look over the scenery I'll bet it uses my graphics card more (Radeon R9 M390) - thus, improved performance. It's just odd performance, and should not be the case with my system. Honestly, the game just runs poorly in general and this should not be the case.

I tried to show my son the intro of the game and I get the beach-ball of death and it never seems to load. Once again, another issue. I was able to watch the intro no-problem when I first installed on this system. Seems that there is some sort of memory leak in this game.

One last issue I've had (See this issue on Windows too) is that when I press spacebar to jump, there is a very slight, but annoying, delay. Once again, it shows the terrible inefficiency of this engine. Seems that there are memory leaks galore.

If the game performance isn't significantly tweaked, I won't be able to play this. I know the game is still Alpha, but this is just a ridiculous state for the game to be in right now.

2. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

My problem is that I freeze frame, but still can cast fire spells at a gustball. I see the casting results in my chat window, but my character and screen is frozen.
    My AMD card is a few years old but I checked for the latest drivers and I was up to date.
    I am able to play SWTOR and World of Warships with no problem. I am hoping that after a major patch and the dust settles, everything will get back to normal

3. Michellia

Michellia Avatar

Take almost 5 minutes to load now, crashes all the time.
    Wether in Steam or plain. Turned all resolutions of graphics off.
    Work fine before the update on Jan 29, 2016.

Just unplayable now.

Also combat is broken for anything I fight.

Shaders on trees depending on angle turn white the leaves.

Snikorts likes this.
  4. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Yeah, something is definitely wrong with this game right now. The settings of the game and such, for me, this game should run way faster. If I had an old Mac, I could understand, but my Mac is brand new and no other games give me problems of any kind.

5. Womby

Womby Avatar

Next time you are in game, look at the strip of icons on the top right of your screen. The second one from the right has been placed there to help you report a bug. This tool is important, because it supplies the devs not just with information about your location in game, but also the hardware that you are using. That is important in situations like this where not everyone is experiencing the same display problems (example: I'm not).

As for the game being buggy at the moment - yes, it is. :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Mac should be better in next patch. We accidentally switched things to use Metal and GLCore. Rolling back to older, more reliable option. Should be in tonight's patch.

7. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Thanks Chris! Really appreciate the support! I will check it out and let you know how it looks. :)

8. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Well... Just checked it out and now it seems to run the same; however, it is difficult to tell because there is a plad pattern all over the screen... I try tweaking all the graphics settings and it is the same pattern with no change/improvement... Pretty much unplayable now... Intro still won't play anymore, as well. Sounds like there are still a good many bugs to fix. But, thanks for trying, Chris. Hope this can be worked out so I can play :(

9. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Didn't work for me either. I can't pass through black screen after launching client.

10. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Im testing on all 3 of my Macs (from old to new) and the game is definately playable? I might have PINK HAIR but its playable :p

Can I suggest you all try running in windowed mode NOT full screen? Then you can set the resolution to your desire AND it uses less GPU.

11. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Yes, I tried that. No effect on anything. The most recently patch today made the game even less playable. Now it looks like etch-a-sketch.... Great.....

12. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Turn off the CAMERA EFFECTS and this should fix the black pixel artifacts...

Update: it may reset to the pixels when you jump into a new scene, then just toggle the Camera Effects option on and off..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  13. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Yep, that worked! Unfortunately, the frame-rate is so poor, that it is still really unplayable. Textures don't look that great either. Still seems like it needs a lot of work...

P.S. If I have to boot-camp the game, I will just pass. A big selling point for this game for me is the fact that it has native Mac support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.