Bypassing Control Points

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragon Slayer, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ha ha! I've done it enough, sometimes I get bored and actually fight my way through nowadays :) Besides, I'd rather drive up the Dev's metrics on 'number of ghosts bypassing useless control points' in hopes they make them something more than a farming zone. :D

2. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

you can get a quest in soltown that would take you to Desolis. Plus plain exploring is fun.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you exit to menu and start on the world map then you'll notice that you're always set to the same side of the control point (except for Eastreach Gap, where you end up on top of the wall). If you go try each one then you will find that you can get to every part of the map (except Drachvald) without having to actually run through control points. Enter from one side, exit to menu and start on world map and you're on the other side.

Here is a list of control points and the direction you can take them:
    • Brightbone Pass: you can go from Perennial Coast to Midmaer (although there's a gap between the mountains just a little farther to the west that you can run through in each direction).
    • Eastreach Gap: you can go both ways since you end up on top of the wall. [edit] this appears to have been fixed in a recent patch, so now it goes from Grunvald to Perennial Coast.
    • Vertas Pass: goes from the Forsaken Vale to South Paladis.
    • Superstition Canyon: also goes from the Forsaken Vale to South Paladis.
    • Nightshade Pass: goes from South Paladis to Midmaer.
    • Sanctus Spine: I'm not entirely sure but I think it goes from South Paladis to North Paladis. [edit] I just tested this one and it goes from North Paladis to South Paladis.
    • Vauban Pass: this one goes from Drachvald to Grunvald. There's no easy way into Drachvald ([edit] unless you have a house up there somewhere and can recall to it) but you can get out easy enough.
    The rest of the map is open to foot or boat travel (like the boats between Quel <--> Elysium <--> Longfall).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If I were overburdened with loot or trying to move a large quantity of stuff between banks/houses, I might spend 200g to get my slow ass over to the other side.

5. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

With all the workarounds above, 0g is the only price worth going through them the intended way. :)

6. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I find it odd that there is no ship movement between the ports.

There is obviously a lot of ship movement in the game..you can hop all kinds of ferries...yet none want to move around the continent? Really? Where is the logic in that?

brentw and Tiki Pirate like this.
  7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

But adventurers, buyers, and sellers will just run through them and go to the same places we always like to go to for selling and buying, no matter how annoying and time consuming they become. These control points do not keep us in one region, we just put up with the annoying loading screens and the waste of time running through them regardless. Even if they somehow begin to be interesting and a solo person like myself would like to go hunting for them for goodies and great loot, the odds of me staying within that region are still not good if those items sell well, unless it's near a town that sells and trades items well and rather quickly such as Owl's Head currently does. The control points are nothing but annoying hindrances to adventurers and we will always move about the whole world. Now some people may be like that and stay within a region yes, but I'm not seeing that currently happening, but maybe later it will, who knows. I live out in the most remote place you can be in Drachvald, now I know currently nothings there much but graff gem mines but later on Malice will be there to explore. Even if that happens to be a great and wonderful area with outstanding loot, I don't see any scenario where I wouldn't still be traveling outside the region to go to other regions that will profit me by selling those things off or going into other regions that are better for gathering and adventuring, or trading with others in other regions instead as well as selling within my region. I'm not seeing how the dream of keeping people pinned into one region is really gonna work but I'm interested to see how it plays out. :) I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, the only thing these control points do for me is cause me wasted time for nothing, and cause me to curse every single time I have to go through them, much like overhead map encounters do. ;) If the point is to frustrate me, make me curse, and get irritated while playing, job well done, heheh.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Rofo, Aldo, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Also, keep in mind that soon mobs will loot you when you die. It will make "dying through a CP" a more expensive option.

9. Duncan O. McDermott

Duncan O. McDermott Avatar

This would be the main reason they would take the start on world map away from us.

10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Considering that Richard G wants regional economies in the game, I seriously doubt that the control points will go away anytime soon. As a newbie, I just ran through them. As a veteran melee fighter, I just casually walk through them, while killing anything that got in my way. So despite the original intent of the control points, they are easy enough to go through, except for Vauban which is super tough.

11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Vauban is tough but if one takes the time one can maneuver through without dying or killing anything.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

And if I remember correctly, you can either go through the main gate, or go around it which is actually the preferred route.

Ronan likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There is a timer involved....

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They arent intended to keep us from otehr regions, they are intended to make it take logner to get to them, and make it more dangerous

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think the mobs will be much tougher and more abundant later on. It will not be easy to just run through them. If people keep it cleared it will be ok, but if people let the spawn build it will be really difficult.

16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Hope so.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

There is even a ship captain in Aeire that mentions sailing to Ardoris, Xenos, and "unknown" waters.

Water is a road, not a barrier. The should have ships that transit between the major coastal towns.

18. brentw

brentw Avatar

What a great and fun option! I'm getting excited just thinking about it! Amazing design!

What really? Oh no.

I had not read about this before. What a worrisome thing to hear.
    This is a prime example of an idea that sounds good in your head but will absolutely never work in practice.

This game will never have the playerbase required to make regional economies actually function. And regional economies are not something you want in a game like this anyway.
    Needlessly dividing up your playerbase like that can only be a detriment to the game and community.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  19. brentw

brentw Avatar

If they have any sense instead they'll notice the lengths players are going to circumvent this poor and unfun design and address that instead of forcing us to put up with it.

20. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are more "fun" designs in store for you. If you have an asthma inhaler, you might want to get it out before you play again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.