Camping and battlefield stuff

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Dulgrand, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

(I guess my thread here fits better in "Housing" than "Combat", but I'm never sure about it.)

I saw on a SoTA R1 gameplay recently (SilverDragonLord on YT, thanks for your time posting the videos!) and I saw a tent item. So I was hoping the guy was like me and would be like "whoa, OMG, a tent!" but it seemed like a meh for him as he ignored it and went to loot the other chest.

Here's my question:
    Anyone here already saw this tent in action? How it is? Maybe a screenshot? It would make my day (not really, but I'm really curious about it).

Likewise, I have some ideas to this topic.
    Before read it, though, remember that ideas here might not suit everyone's playstyle. And I respect that. The point on this topic is to debate, in a healthy way.

What do you guys think about a couple of items that won't require lots, but, instead, could be only be placed on wilderness? Like palisades, archer towers, barricades and tents (varying in size)? Each of these items would have a "deploying time". A guy trying to put a piece of barricade on the ground would have to stay still and unharmed for 1-2 min.

Bigger things as archer towers would have a deploying time of 60 min (auto log out from AFK - if any - is disabled during this). Multiple guys (limited to structure size) can join in deploying by double clicking the item and being prompted, reducing the time.

Different from houses, which are permanents and indestructible (as far I know), "camping and battlefield stuff" can be damaged and only exists while it's owner is around (X feet radius). The moment he of she lefts, the 30-60 min clock starts running to despawning. The very nature of this kind of items is to be temporary and situational only.

I want some thoughts from the community on this, so I will appreciate every opinion about it.

PS: If someone already made a thread, started a discussion or had exposed some thoughts about it, please let me know who's this and its thread. Any official posts and statements are welcome too.

2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

at the moment tents are only decoration items. No real use, he didn't ignore them per say, they just don't do anything. Will they have some use in the future? I sure hope so. Just like in UO, if you wanted to instantly log out, you needed to either be in a Inn/Tavern, In your home, or put down a campfire and wait for it to be secured. I could see them doing something like this with tents.

As for archery towers and such, what would the uses be? I could think of a few greefing and gold farming applications, but what is the purpose you had in mind? Do you mean like building a little fort out in one of the hexes and try to claim it as your own? kind of like in the game Rust? If there are enough hexes this my be a interesting idea.

http://playrust.com/

[​IMG]

Aeryk, Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well we didn't discuss less portable structures but there is this..

Hunting & Camping out

There have been a few other occasional camping related topics but I don't recall what they're called. There are also less specific housing threads where tents and other 'temporary' housing have been brought up.. almost certainly in the context of alternate housing.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Shandred

Shandred Avatar

Sounds like a fun idea!

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Dulgrand

Dulgrand Avatar

Not only to claim territory in hexes, but for me It would bring lots of immersion too. Little camps for roleplaying between travels at night and after some dungeoncrawling. There's always small groups that likes RP in wilderness instead cities, for lessen the chance of being interrupted.

I understand that kind of items could be exploitable, but take in account those items are destructible.

Won't quote the picture again, but yes, it is something like Rust that I had in mind. You get the idea.

Thank you for pointing that thread out.
    I won't revive that post since it's very very old, but I read it all.
    Yeah! :)

Aeryk and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I say I like this idea and where it's headed toward;

Though I would stress the need for it to blink out of existence once the pseudo king of the structure logs out and upon returning needing to be re-built from the ground up again because it simply isn't there anymore. Some Lumberjacking skills come to mind in it's construction, though I don't believe that any carpentry would be required for a rope and log structure, but you would need the rope :) Yet carpentry does come to mind later when I think about some (as temporary as the fortification) trebuchet, catapult or scorpio crew served weapons deployment, but I get carried away whenever I talk of large battles possibly being had;)
    A temporary aide station, camp and fortified defensive position comes to mind when I ponder about the need of such a thing being built. But also, the solo builder could construct some sort of archer tower (as is done in wild game hunting IR). I would however suggest some sort of lengthy time that something like this could be built in, yet not too in cumbersome so as to allow better game playo_O
    :oops:
    If a band of players were to fight their way through some heavily infested area, it could be some great fun to fend them off while the Jacks were at their work building. I think that truly would make for some fun adventuring as, if another party showed up and wanted to employ their own and take over (guild wars), this would create a battlefield more in the form and function of something that had a purpose to fight for creating a more war like scene:mad:

Our game once finished for the market in Oct, is by no means dead in it's development after that, so if not public release #1 maybe 2 or 3, so I'd like to hear more into a deepening into it's subject matter:D

These types of structures are something I think would broaden guild wars in a very meaningful way' as well as thicken the RP of it all...
    The thought made my mouth water, "So I'm All For It"!
    I hope to someday meet you all in the fold of it all some day...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In the R6 scene shots, I saw places where some of these types of battlefield temporary fortifications could come in handy. Are there any thoughts out there now that we've seen R6 of how they could be implemented or new thoughts as to what use they could be?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.