Can't I just play with my friends if I want to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eobet, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eobet

eobet Avatar

This comment from Richard Garriott himself worries me:

"When the game is played online, there is a global persistent world that ALL players are part of (no shards intended), all player shops with their vendors as well as homes and other permanent structures are seen by and visited by all players."

There are over 12,000 backers currently. Does this mean that if I just want to play with three or four of my friends, we will have to wade through 12,000 player houses spread throughout the land?

I have no interest in seeing the results of thousands of other players who aren't at the same point in the story as I am.

Will there be a way to password protect online games (like in Dungeon Defenders), or make them invite only (like in Borderlands 2)?

2. DeRoy

DeRoy Avatar

I see your point, but the idea of a "living" world is interesting to me. I can't wait to see the creativity of other players. The idea that this interactive world will be implemented without griefing and have meaningful interaction is one I want to see pursued.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I agree with DeRoy. This living world is what is really interesting to me thus far. This will be a SP game so make no mistake, but the problem which legacy SP games have is the ability to update them with content on the fly.

With the "multiplayer elements" players will not be connecting to you directly, and as LB said, when you are going to encounter other players you will know the circumstance in which it will occur.

This isn't going to be like MineCraft, you aren't going to build a house then have a UO player come in, Flame Strike it while Energy Bolting your tail end on his way out.

4. Ieolus

Ieolus Avatar

No of course not AvatarAcid, because that UO player doesn't have a key... right? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.