Can some of the old music be used?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baer, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baer

Baer Avatar

I became so attached to some of the original Ultima music, such as Stones that I put it in some of the newer RPG's. I guess I have always been looking for "that old Ultima feeling". I know that EA owns the I P but much of the original music should be in public domain now. Any chance of us hearing it again in a Lord British World????

2. GearworkDragon

GearworkDragon Avatar

Something regarding copyright when pertaining to musical scores,
    from Help:When does music enter the public domain? (http://www0.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Help:When_does_music_enter_the_public_domain%3F)

"Copyright law was changed in 1976. Before 1976, US Copyright Law stated that copyright existed for registered works for 28 years and could be renewed for an additional 28 years. After 1976, US Copyright Law states that for music published before 1976, the term of copyright is the original 28 years plus an additional 47 years (equals 75 years).

A new copyright law was subsequently passed which has extended the length of copyright for another 20 years. However, music in the public domain has not suddenly become copyrighted. If a piece was in the public domain, it remains in the public domain (with a few exceptions)."

In short, it'll be a while if the current copyright holders plan on renewing the copyright for the maximum duration. More details are most likely available elsewhere, such as the U.S. Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/).

The only real solution/work-around to this dilemma would be a function in the game that allows players to change what musical track plays when a song is triggered (entering a town, combat, conversation, etc.) and whether the song only plays once or loops until another song is triggered. Preferably with a clean user interface, rather than a text file (as it was done in Ultima Online).

3. Baer

Baer Avatar

Good information, thanks.
    So if you know how to, you can substitute a music track. In fact have done that is some games.

4. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I hope Stones isn't copyrighted... I suppose it would be classified as a derivitive work of Ultima though. Curses, EA! :(

The good news is in the video with Iolo and Lord British (put up yesterday on utoobs) is that Iolo seems very eager to contribute music to Shroud :)

5. Siwar

Siwar Avatar

I would love to hear the old music in this game. Even the simpler music from UIII and especially UIV brings back the fondest of memories...

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'd imagine that EA/Origin would frown on that.

7. Flisher

Flisher Avatar

I had the same question, who own the copyright on the ultima music?

For example, Stone was written by Dave Watson, does he still own the right to the song? is it origin now EA Origin?

8. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

I do hope we can hear some of the Ultima classics, but if we don't I bet the music we do get will still be great :)

9. Annah_Sennah

Annah_Sennah Avatar

My favorite music is Walking from Ice Island, one of the few times I turn the sound on hahah. The other is when I'm on my bard so that I can hear they didn't... 'fizzle' on the music.

10. Duke Steele

Duke Steele Avatar

It would b so incredibly awesome if classic Ultima music could be used on SotA. That would be HUGE.

11. Dusty Macd

Dusty Macd Avatar

I am of a different view in regards to this... I would love to see new music to go with the new story that SOTA will bring to the gaming world.. Something fresh but in-keeping with the style which will result in similar but not the same music as the days of old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.