Can someone confirm this 100% Its about attunment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odyssey2001, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Ill get a couple people together that have said attunements and we can set up a time to witness it. And do logs, I just know from experience that when I had 100 Life and was fighting against death I got ripped up. now that I have dropped life attunement completely It doesn't hurt near as bad anymore.

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Although some of the guys now have well over 100 in the attunements it should be good data to record.

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'm starting to wonder if attunements are worth taking at all .....

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Does anyone else find this to be a screw'y way of doing "attunements" besides me?

I would think that it would effect my opponent (PvP or PvE), and not myself... What your describing IS if I have high water AND high fire on my chr, that it benefits my opponent who only has one OR the other at the same high level as I do... Because I'm self penalizing myself for having both at high levels (plus, I don't know what my PvP opponent has, only my PvE opponent), IMO, just take the coding out and IF a player chooses Fire, then Water is greyed out, and not available to them... And vise versa... I see no point in having attunement...

How is this better than having straight fire resist or water resist? I would think that "attunements" are a defense and NOT a penalty...

If I want to take down fire elemental s, should I do it with fire or water? Water of course, their fire is countered by my water attunement giving them -35 fire (not myself, that would mean they get a bonus from my attunement), to me that doesn't make any sense...

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Strategy? Thought into building your avatar or even thought into taking ANY attuenements? They are mostly optional..

And there are resistances in some trees.. :) It's odd, but I like it.

6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'm committed to several attunements till next release but I no longer see them as a risk worth taking. I might take the minimal 10 to get an innate beyond the attunement but that's it. I just don't like the thought of getting punked by my own skills. Now that I understand them, I give them 2 thumbs down.

SmokerKGB and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I've tried taking spells without attunement. Currently without attunement, I was not able to reach a very strong level, once I added attunement (even tho it actually opposed my main attunement) the spell became what I'd expect to be a useful spell.. but only after I levelled up that attunement. I levelled Discharge up to 80, with no attuenent, and it stopped gaining values at a certain level, well before 80.. I wish I wrote it down.

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

dinkus, if you want to be a good wizard you have to be prepared to be blasted into nothing by your opposing schools ....... I find it all so disappointing.

so now I'm left wondering what the point is in advancing a skill beyond 80 when all that really matters is your attunement .... sigh.

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

So far, I find getting attunements and skills to 80 minimum works well... but yep, those opposing ones can destroy your build vs other builds

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Nevermind doing 0 damage to the like-attuned creature (Earth tree spells vs Obsidian Golems... but their Earthquake hits us, why can't ours hit them???!)

Moonshadow likes this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, this has potentially long term consequences that are difficult to ignore.
    However, if all schools get resistance skills that you can level up without attunement? (or with very little) Then it'll probably be ok. Hopefully.
    If it remains as is, then choosing earth, water, or fire isn't that bad, because there are air, fire, and water resistances you can skill up to hopefully offset the attunement damage issues. I haven't seen parses, though, so it may not be enough, even as is.

Without those resistances, though, I can see the following happening:
    Tanks/melee go full attunement into earth, life, and sun to do reasonable damage.
    Subsequently, all bosses use air, death, and moon damage exclusively. Tanks/melee take double damage from all bosses. Huzzah.

That's my expectation, honestly, given 20 years of experience with games of this type. This is the kind of sadistic trickery that companies like to call "balance", "tuning", "vision" or "lore".
    As a ranged attacker, I would feel less concerned, as I would hopefully not be taking damage constantly, and hopefully this entire game doesn't get turned into dance-dance-don't-stand-in-the-fire like so many other games in the genre.
    But as a melee character, or 'tank'? I don't want to take any attunements, and yet without them (and magic) I do very little damage, and in the case of Death attunement, possibly I wouldn't get healed as much.
    Yet so much of EP1 challenging content is undead, and/or creatures that use death related effects, like ghosts & liches with their siphon-life ability. How much more damage does that do, simply because I have to take Life attunement to get more than a 14 point self heal?

I'm all for meaningful choice, but attunement is more like bait and switch (and cackle!) :confused::eek:o_O

Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Strategy has little to do with it... The only strategy I can see, is forcing a chr NOT to have opposing schools (or should I say attunements) on the same chr, which can be handled with simply not allowing it... Attunements are placed at the head of a tree, and must be at a 10 level to unlock other inates worth having, I fail to see this logic of penalizing me with even 10, makes no sense... Had it been placed at the end of a tree, then a player would have the choice of including or abandoning it all together...

The only strategy I see is : being prepared... Looking at your opponent and learning skills to defeat them... I was under the impression, that attunements were another way of lowering your opponents power against you, if handles correctly, with for thoughts and preparation... Maybe that will change in the future with detailed explanations of how it works or it's changed...

Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

even if moved to then end of the tree it doesn't change the fact that in order to do something worth while with magic you will have to take the attunement, making the combat trees superior as they have no negative drawbacks towards your skill investment and no drawbacks to using magic as a utility.

I think attunement as is will be the death of the 'mage' , especially the pure mage.

14. agra

agra Avatar

I would agree if the non-magic trees had a mechanism similar to attunement in the magic trees. Currently, they don't. The melee trees are a pale shadow in damage compared to a magic skill coupled with 100+ attunement. The melee trees lack an attunement mechanism, and as a result, will likely always lag behind in damage.
    Coupled with that is that non-magic attacks are all purely the physical damage type, which is processed by at least 5 (avoidance, deflection, resistance, absorption, glancing, blocking, parry) different techniques. Magic attacks suffer no such checks, or if they do it's not apparent how, as magic skills with a casting time never miss. Or it's so rare I've never seen it. And magic skills without a casting time hit successfully with far more frequency than melee skills.

If these are the skill trees we're going to R32 with, I have my build that I know will work. Things are not balanced, tuned, or thematically/internally consistent, though, at the moment, so I hope they fix the disparity before then.

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.