Can somone explain shroud and virtue?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Stabbath, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

anyone have an *updated* guide explaining virtue and whatever this shroud is? I heard about certain acts like looting corpses can lower virtue, although I think this has been removed but not sure.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

How to raise your virtue:

Do all 3 outskirts quest (Highvale Outskirts, Bloodriver Outskirts, Solace Bridge Outskirts). If you are not sure where to go for each area to begin, speak to Arabella.

While doing each outskirts area, When speaking to NPC's, always type in "My name is YOURNAMEHERE" (make sure you do spell your name correctly). Also be sure to click or say help, to see if they need any help. Do this for every NPC you meet.

Every day, speak to the Oracle in town, ask her about Truth, Love and Courage. She may mention things you are doing that are effecting your virtue.

JUST completing the 3 outskirts areas and following the above advice you should have a very good virtue for all 3. This is for positive Virtue.

The Shroud just reflects your current Virtue. HIGH virtue, it is white. LOW virtue it is dark grey or Black. For the most part.

Things to AVOID: Killing Fauns, and stealing items from NPC stores. Even if you accidentally do this a few times you aren't RUINED FOR LIFE.

3. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

ruined for life? how so? how does virtue benefit or not your character? Is it just a visual thing or influence stats or something? Thanks.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's not something they've that willing to elaborate on, so we don't tend to have a complete picture. For instance, it tends to affect the stats given by the "Shroud of the Avatar", some visuals for quest items, and potentially how some NPCs respond to you. Beyond that, I'm not sure

It's one of the more (potentially) interesting things about the game, but doesn't seem to have all that much consequence.

For instance, I kept "lying" to NPCs about what my name was, because I was just skipping it, and I kept tanking my "truth" virtue. I can't tell that it's had any affect at all. It's something I wish they'd actually build out more, as it's one of the more (potentially) stand-out mechanics.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just some people completely freak out if they accidentally steal something. If you do this by accident a few times, just don't worry. :)

6. oplek

oplek Avatar

The biggest consequential thing, to me, is that if you know how to keep your virtues consistent, it makes the daily Oracle quest a lot easier to remember.

Jaesun likes this.
  7. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

I have just been typing test, then yes, not reading what oracle says. thought it was the same. I always get rewarded and she says I'm on such and such path. it varies which path. I loot any and every corpse. And most green containers,sacks etc. No idea this might influence stats. wondering if I should reroll. I have a few weeks behind this character tho. I'm worried I might have weakened my character and might be less effective at high lvls.

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Do not reroll, its not that big of a deal. I had a white shroud and now I turned over to the dark side. My shroud is now black. The stats are all still the same as they were. No influance at all.

The only problem as stated above, it was easier to get the oracle questions correct with my white shroud. Now I need to pay attention to what question she asks so that I answer correctly.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Virtue also affects the dread artifacts and some other quest items like the leather armor of love.

10. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

When I read someone say that they "took an int hit" in regards to virtue, is this in regards to an items stats/shroud? Thought they might have meant their character's int went down. If so, that would suck.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, having low truth will lessen the amount of int the shroud gives you. on the other hand, if you get your truth low enough it'll start adding magic resist instead. there's a choice there for each virtue: low courage gives less strength but increase move speed, the better to run away with.

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The bonesteel crown will also give you less INT boost if your truth score is low, although it wont go negative like the shroud.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

Just a note, it might make more of a difference what you did in Epsiode 1 in Episode 2. The story is not really complete. Most suspect the Oracle is evil and subverting the true virtues, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.