Cap on amount of XP a skill can use from the pool?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So, we know that a skill (set to learn) uses a larger amount of XP when your XP pool is very large. Can that amount cap at some point?

Let's say you have a pool of 1 Million Adv XP. You are training Thrust, and, at level 80 every time you use the skill, it takes 1,000 Adv XP from your pool. If you have 5 Mil, will it take more XP than the 1,000 upon each Thrust? What about 20 Mil in the pool? Does it ever stop going up based only on the amount of XP you have in your pool?

I hope I explained this well...

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nikko likes this.
  3. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Chris' audio does start working at about 3:42 in the video...

4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I think the answer is at roughly 37:20 in the video, for those interested. Thanks for the link to the video, @Spoon ! Also, thanks for hosting that video (a while back, of course), Violation.

Spoon likes this.
  5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

It seems there is apparently a minimum number of times you must use a skill before it will raise, (even if you have 100,000,000 XP pooled) so that plays a big role if you have a giant XP pool. This would explain the fact that when I have millions in my Adventurer XP pool, I still see level 2, 3, 4, etc, and I never seem to skip over any.

This may not apply to crafting though, as I have noticed that I HAVE skipped over levels while doing crafting. Does anyone that does a huge amount of crafting have a really definitive answer on this? @Scoffer , @kaeshiva ?

Does having a producer pool of like 10 million actually benefit, and mean you'll use less silver when masterworking, etc.? Or does it cap off, and not matter much if you go over say, 1 or 2 Million in the producer pool?

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Having a high pool does help need less materials to level, yes, but all skills are not equal. The enchanting sub-skills for example pull far, far less from the pool per 'hit' than any of the equivalent masterwork skills. While a higher pool will increase the amount per 'pull' some skills are capped differently. Yes, I have skipped over a few 'low level' crafting levels raising them up with a big pool but tends to even out pretty early on. I don't recall ever skipping beyond level 20 or so, though.

Nikko likes this.
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Have you noticed a point at which it really does not seem to help to keep bloating up your producer pool? Do you have a policy where you will never use gold/silver when your producer pool is below X amount? I am just trying to understand, and minimize my use of silver and gold since I am really heavily getting into crafting again...

8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I think Kaeshiva and I are both at the level where we have more materials than we have xp....
    Typically speaking I don't run with a minimal pool, the skills I wish to raise are set to raise and I just let them improve naturally when doing work for people. I don't really "train" any producer skills anymore so the xp I get while mining typically just gets spent as I'm master working but I don't really have to micro manage it anymore. Once you start hitting 120+ on production skills it stops being a case of building up the pool and pushing it for level xxx and becomes more of a "I'm going to make this...oh look, I leveled".

9. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

When the new refine skills came out, I had ~2 million craft xp banked. After about level 10ish I recall seeing individual skill ups/partial level ups. So with crafting it SEEMS like the first few levels are uncapped, but then clamp down. An official comment from the developers would be cool though :)

Nikko likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

need to go actually show proof of this.

also producer and adventurer exp cannot be compared at this time - use from pool is the same - over 80 and with supper high amounts in pool % playsa a factor

non of this is new.

there are at least 5 threads in here that tal;k about exp pools and percentages - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/player-created-resources.486/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

@Weins201 ... I'm a little confused by your post. I think you might have messed up the */QUOTE* thing there.

Yay! fixed. Thanks. Much more clear.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Weins201 likes this.
  12. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is pretty much where I thought you and your wife might be at this point. I appreciate the feedback, though. I'll probably just try to get it at or above 3 million producer XP before I even start doing this.

13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So, I have actually seen proof of that minimum number of actions to level an adventurer skill. As I have said, you can have well over a million XP in your pool, raise an adventuring skill that you've never used before, and even if it is at level 1, and it is the ONLY skill you've set to train, it will not quickly skip over to a higher level. It goes to the successive level number every time. 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then 5... and then at level 8, it ALWAYS takes 2 uses to get to level 9. You can see this very easily, but you do have to have a million or millions in your pool to see the proof, obviously. In crafting, I have actually seen it skip levels. This is the one way that I can see that there is some fairly significant difference in the way they handled the raising of skills for crafting.

You say "producer and adventurer exp cannot be compared at this time..." I'd like to know more about this. Can you expand on that in detail? I know there is currently no "decay" for producer XP, but in what other ways are they not comparable?

I am just trying to understand it better. I am one of those that loves to see the numbers, and the route to efficiency. Some people are the exact opposite, and that is perfectly fine. This may come down to me getting a massive crafting XP pool, and gathering some data of my own. If I gather said data, I'll try to share my findings someday.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I would simply like a number you can set which is your target level for the skill, either up or down. "Not training" just replaces the number with "--". Even when I'm trying to watch it, I overshoot both ways all the time.

When I was leveling those new batch skills, I never even saw level 3. You just need a big enough pool (and a 1x skill) to see a skill jump from level 1 straight to level 4 and then 7. The amount per "bump" is entirely determined by the size of your pool, up to at least 4M, maybe higher. The reason that the bumps become smaller is that it takes more XP to go up to the next level.

The real problem is skills that need a certain "trick" before they go up, like Trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.