Character Skill Instead of Slayer Type Weapons

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by MasterThief, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

One could avoid the issue by devoting skill points in an area that doesn't specialize you quite as much.

To use my sword example, let's say that I want to be able to use both broad swords and long swords, and don't want to incur the slight penalty for broad swords that I would experience if I specialized in long swords. So, instead of specialzing in long swords, maybe I could allocate those skill points in improving an attack that is shared by both long swords and broad swords, like an improved sweeping cut that has a multi target short ranged AOE effect, investing my skill points that way allows me to improve my damage for both long swords and broad swords. If I don't care about being able to use broad swords, then I might be better off specializing in long swords so that ALL my attacks are improved slightly, but that is a choice I can make depending upon how I wish to play.

The same could be said for creature specializations. If I devote skill points in such a way that my damage against everything is increased somewhat, I might want to go that way, but if I want to role play an Ogre killer, I would be better off specializing to improve my damage against Ogres more than I would otherwise, even if that comes at the expense of reducing my damage against other mobs slightly.

It all depends on how you want to manage your build.

2. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

That's too convoluted and min-maxxy. I don't feel like getting out a calculator and doing math homework to figure out how to play my character. This isn't Anarchy Online.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Thanks for your opinion.

4. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

No problem. Isn't that what we're all here for?

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Well, for what it's worth, I'm in favor of the concept, but I note that "Player" shouldn't be one of the available types, or the damage bonus on a career PvP player will be so horrendous that it will become a bar to entry for anyone trying to join PvP for any reason after year one.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Mobs, sure. Players, yeah not a good idea.

7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Imagine entering a battlefield, all set for a grueling afternoon hacking at your fellow players, and you get shot with a stray arrow. Unfortunately for you, the bow used to fire that arrow was a maxxed out "player slayer", and it does 130% of your life in one hit. If you had Player attuned armor to stop the damage, you wouldn't be so bad off, but you don't. In order to get some, you'll need to win several dozen battles, gathering the spoils as you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.