Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chat bubbles... options

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Sir Niccoli, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    We need some options for setting chat bubbles more to our tastes / speed of reading.

I was having to wait or just read in the chat box, and the NPC was still echoing in the chat bubbles.

Settings that would be nice:
    Setting the size of the chat, I'd put it to about half.
    Setting number of lines given at a time.
    Setting background of the bubble / color of chat.
    Setting to adjust the speed of the bubbles.
    Option to turn on hint work coloration in the chat bubble.
    Option to disable barks. (I wouldn't turn them off most likely, but if I did it was because they were too spammy)

A longer chunk of dialog would go like this for me:

"Hello Adventurer, there is a guy in a nearby keep that I would like you to visit,"

Look at chat box, read all the text:
    Hello Adventurer, there is a guy in a nearby keep that I would like you to visit,
    he has a sword for me, that I have been waiting for quite a while.
    If you could fetch it for me, I'd pay you a handsome sum of gold.

Wait for him to finish, or continue and get well ahead of the bubbles.

"he has a sword for me, that I have been waiting for quite a while."

"If you could fetch it for me, I'd pay you a handsome sum of gold."

Or it could be one bubble:

"Hello Adventurer, there is a guy in a nearby keep that I would like you to visit,
    he has a sword for me, that I have been waiting for quite a while.
    If you could fetch it for me, I'd pay you a handsome sum of gold."

Not everyone reads fast, but it would be nice to speed up the bubbles a bit and present more text per bubble.

If someone already brought this up, merge me into that conversation I suppose. :D

fumblefingers and Jay like this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, I found myself resorting to reading the chat box and ignoring the chat bubbles for the longer text blocks, simply because the bubbles vanished too quickly.

It would be nice to have an option to alter the duration of a chat bubble for us slower readers. :)

Sir_Niccoli likes this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The problem I have with the conversations is that if you stand around people, talking to someone while NPCs talk to each other, the text is running by in the chat window. You do not only see what the person you are talking to is saying it mixes with what everyone around you is saying. So you constantly have to scroll up to read what is going on. I can imagine this getting even worse when NPCs have more to say to each other an when other players chime in, too.

I don't think that this kind of conversation is working for the game. There should be a separate conversation window that does not interfere with the chat window. Maybe if you talk to someone the text bubble stays up and you can type your text into the bubble or something like that. Or a new window opens like in more recent games where you see what the person you are talking to says and where you can type in your questions. But mixing the chat with the conversations is too confusing.

Skalex, fumblefingers and Lained like this.
  4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Lum ( or one of the devs ) did mention something about not having npc shouts show up in the chat window. It's incredibly distracting. Hopefully we won't be seeing all that chatter in R3.

fumblefingers likes this.
  5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I read the conversations in the chat window, rather than the chat bubbles. I could read everything in one go there rather than waiting for the bubbles to give me the entire reply. I think I'd like the bubble font to be smaller as well, so having controls for font size and the speed of the chat bubbles would be great. I really would prefer to read the chat bubbles, but they need some tweaking.

By Tor and fumblefingers like this.
  6. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree. I hope there's eventually an option that will only put the conversation in the chat window after the npc is finished talking. It's a bit of an immersion breaker to have an npc start talking and already read everything he's about to say.

7. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Wait...was not able to play release 2, but do we have chat bubbles now? As players I mean?

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The NPCs had chat bubbles. No idea about players though, since R2 was not multiplayer enabled.

I would presume they would have them as well though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.