Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chest mimic - huge nerf?

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Elric Zand, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

the chest mimic has gone from previously having 172hp to 58HP after patch 451... is this as intended now? :(

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Make a bug report.

3. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

nah it is intended, the focus cost has gone from 50 to 20 so it was an intentional change :)

4. Retro

Retro Avatar

How do you get the Chest Mimic again? I can't find it in my bank... Was it a limited store item?

5. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

pledge reward > it is a uh.. a whistle or something that you put in your necklace slot.. forgot what it is called since it uses the name of my pet now instead :)

6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There was a thread about these mimics a while back because of the concern that it would give too much of an advantage out of the gates post final wipe. Seems strange to allow it but then nerf after that window.

enderandrew likes this.
  7. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

The 451 release ruined this pledge reward. I won't argue it could have been toned down a little, but now it's useless
    The chest mimic would have been an "advantage" for about a week, maybe two, then it's usefulness would have tapered off naturally as skills increased and it was replaced.
    And by advantage, perhaps a day or two of progression over someone else. That seems fair for a pledge reward and doesn't cause any harm over the long term.
    It's disappointing that pledge rewards keep taking hits like this.

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'd like to see it scale with you the way companions are supposed to scale with you. Right now even in weak/starter scenes the chest mimic is killed almost instantly and the pledge reward has been made completely worthless.

It shouldn't be as powerful as the great tamed monsters, but if the pledge reward was a promised combat pet and now we basically don't have a combat pet, I think that is a problem.

@DarkStarr can we adjust this to a scaled pet that isn't over-powered, but can still be used? Like I said, I can't even pull it out in starter scenes right now.

9. agra

agra Avatar

They were fine at 172. At that Hit point range, they died in a few hits in any 3, 4 or 5 skull scene.
    So, they were ok for 1 and 2 skull zones. A bit of a helping hand to get you started, but no big deal after that.

Now? They're pretty much useless, as they die in a few hits in a 1 skull zone. Might as well make them a flavor/non-combat pet, at this point.

Once again, too much stick, no carrot, 100% punitive change.

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

AKA ninja patch :p

enderandrew likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good change, should've happened pre-wipe.

Now if only they would balance tamed pets.

DancingShade and Mekong like this.
  12. enderandrew

The change is counter-intuitive. If the intent was to make sure no one had an unfair leg up on wipe day, why make the change after the fact? Now all you're doing is invalidating a pledge reward for everyone else.

13. Drocis the Devious

You're preaching to the choir. I have said for months that the chest mimic was an unfair advantage that should be changed. What probably happen is they looked at the impact on launch day and realized that was clearly the case.

They're just trying to balance the game and that's good. If they don't balance it, then everyone that doesn't have a chest mimic will feel horrible. We had fun using the chest mimic as a lower level force of nature, now that's over. Move on, it's all in the name of balance, which we should never settle for less.

DancingShade and Elwyn like this.
  14. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Balance, schmalance. People are going to roll new characters in a few months and grab a top level pet from their friend or alt and power level afk. Pledge rewards should have stood for something.

15. Drocis the Devious

Well again, they need to balance taming. It's OP.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be really cool and effective things like Ferocious Red Spiders, there should be. But should they last as long as they do? Probably not.

I'm not sure where the balance is exactly, but it's far from where we are right now. Pledge Rewards, Summoning, and Taming all need to have some kind of collective balance where it makes sense to use them in different situations but no single one is best for all situations (like taming is right now).

DancingShade and Bluefire like this.
  16. PeteWi The Disoriented

This isn't about taming in general, it's about the Chest Mimic specifically. As Bluefire stated, a pledge reward should count for something. As it stood, the mimic would shave a day or two off the grind and would be useless in later scenes, ie 3,4,5 skull areas. It was a beneficial companion in 1 and 2 skull areas so you didn't die when a wolf scratched you. It would have no bearing on game mechanics or balance in the long run. It's usefulness would drop off naturally.

Again, pledge rewards should mean something. There should be a marginal, short term benefit for the money spent on getting them. To continually neuter that benefit is frustrating and make people regret spending money. The Mimic has had the same stats since it was introduced months and months ago. I think it's a disservice and a slap to drop it's stats to less than a third the day after launch. If it was too gosh darned powerful, why not make those changes months ago at the last wipe and balance forward?

Taming balance as whole is different topic altogether.

17. Drocis the Devious

I can't speak for the devs. But I would guess it was because they 1. Didn't have enough data because of the low population. They really don't like making changes like this when a few people (like me) say something is OP. But perhaps they'll learn that my OP radar is pretty good. I think my track record is beginning to speak for itself in terms of combat balance.;) 2. Because they had crashes to deal with and that was the top priority at the time.

18. enderandrew

They may crowd-fund later episodes and they want to make money selling items in the add-on store.

If people can continue to pull out past (now rare) items and show them off in game, it encourages people to buy new items. We've seen this in other games.

I'm not sure why there has been a big push in SotA to make sure the pledge items are worthless and never pulled out.

19. PeteWi The Disoriented

It's been available since Release 23, October 29, 2015, and it's had the same stats since day one. I'm pretty sure they had data before Final Wipe to make their decision on it. And it was enough of a priority for a ninja patch.

It was the most common companion seen after each wipe. If they want to "balance" that's fine, but to do so after it's been the same for over 8 months is a little unfair. But what's done is done. However, I still feel this sort of behavior has been done to multiple pledge rewards which both cheapens them and discourages people. It very much creates a "Well, what's the point?" attitude.

20. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I only used the mimic pet at the start of release 31. It was definitely way too powerful for a new character starting out.

Never touched it since as I felt dirty using it. I'm glad to see taming balance issues are being looked at.

That reminds me, I need to go tame some spiders sometime...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.