Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Chillbain's randomly resets.

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Tiina Onir, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

10/13/2018 01:01
    Title: Chillbain's randomly resets.
    Reproduction Rate: 99%
    Blocker? no
    Details: When playing through Chillbain's it randomly resets rooms
    Steps to Reproduce:play though chillbains. rooms randomly reset.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12) System RAM: 16230
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.Win.64.847.Date.10.04.18
    Area: Challenge Dungeon 1
    Area Display Name: Compendium of Pain and Suffering
    Loc: (-31.9, 5.0, -297.9)
    Debug: Q2hhbGxlbmdlIER1bmdlb24gMXx8KC0zMS44OTMsIDUuMDAzLCAtMjk3Ljg2NCl8KDAsIC0wLjA5NiwgMCwgLTAuOTk1KXwtMzQ4LjkwOTh8MjUuMDcxNjJ8Ny40NTkyNTk=

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Sometimes they do that for technical reasons. The rooms in the Compendium of Pain and Suffering will reset for two reasons:
    1. When the room is ready but too much time passes with no one triggering it. Maybe you're waiting at the entrance to the next room, waiting to heal up to full, and after a long time passes you see the room reset. That's normal and and acceptable.
    2. When a triggered room decides that too long has passed after the last "aggro detection" by its occupants has occurred. This can happen when every player fighting in the room dies. The room will eventually realize there's no one to fight and reset. This is also normal and acceptable.
    What shouldn't be happening is a room resetting right in the middle of you fighting it. As in, the enemies are half dead and the fight should last another minute or so, when suddenly the baddies disappear, the entry door opens, and the circle of torches reappears. That's absolutely a bug.

Which of the three situations mentioned above is closest to the reset you experienced?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

@Sannio I think there's some spots where it's just very easy to not notice a non agro mob. Like for example, the last room of the second tier that has a bunch of Satyrs and elementals. It's very easy not to notice a dormant fire elemental in the ground off in some corner when there are a million corpses laying around.

Echondas and Tiina Onir like this.
  4. Kron Caledon

Kron Caledon Avatar

@Sannio I've also seen resets from "dormant mobs".

e.g. In the room before the first chest (crocodiles, slimes, hardened skeletons)

What happens is that I've killed all the mobs I could see, but there's a single hardened skeleton in one of the lower side tunnels who's just sitting there doing nothing - and before I find it to trigger it, the room resets, and now I have to fight the whole room again.

(I've been in the room this entire time, and really doesn't seem like a long time before finding the last mob).

Maybe do a pass to make sure that the aggro area is bigger - so that these mobs are triggered immediately and aren't sitting around? Or you can adjust the timer before the room resets?

Even in that same room, there are crocodiles / slimes etc. that don't get triggered unless I come close to them, and they can sit around for a long time.

Tiina Onir and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this can also happen if a player tries to hide in a corner and heal for a couple of seconds.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

This particular case was more of the last one. I've mostly cleared the room but am having to search for that last mob. I suspect the number 2 logic is triggering, so maybe it just needs a timing adjustment? I've seen this both on my own and with others.

7. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

This room particularly is bad - usually it’s a faun hiding / running

Tiina Onir likes this.
  8. Sannio

Thanks for all the extra information, everyone. I created issue #62455. I'll look into it.

Tiina Onir, Echondas and Sentinel2 like this.
  9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Thanks, Sannio

Echondas likes this.
  10. Sannio

OK, I made some tweaks in some areas of the Compendium of Pain and Suffering that I think should help. I checked them in, but I'm not sure when those changes will make it to the QA server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.