Classless vs. Archetypes poll / online Balance & Dependencies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jul 8, 2017.

?

What do you understand from a classless System? Do you like Restrictions/dependencies for online M.?

1. classless means i can skill all and everything to the max if i want to

45.5%
  2. classless means i build an archetype "class" out of all possibilities and have limitations

50.0%
  3. i would rather like to have no restrictions/ limitations and dependencies in online Modes

22.7%
  4. i think restrictions and dependencies are neccessary for online Modes

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hejsan, i want to know what the people here think about the classless system and the softcap without any restrictions except time we have.

The Poll has 2 questions and please choose 2 answers, one to each of this questions.

So, this topic is about all online Modes and not for SP offline mode.
    For SP offline mode i think the current system is ok and necessary as you need to become an omnipotent Avatar.

For online Modes i think any omnipotent Avatar is bad because in the end we have a lot of Uber Avatars, and nobody depends on each other.
    Furthermore this System want you to level all and everything for PVP, if you want to be competetive you have more or less to be a Jack of all Trades and need a very long time to get to that.
    People can switch Decks including Gear in seconds while combat, you want to be reistant to all magic schools, so you need high atunement in every school and last but not least all characters are hybrids.
    there is no pure Swordsman or Wizard or Archer or whatever archetype you like for PvP, you need to cherrypick skills from nearly all magic schools and build an omnipotent Avatar.

I dont know how to solve it, there are many ideas to make softcap more harsch
    or hardcaps for GM's or limited skills in total or maximum distributet XP in total and many other ideas around that.

I just want to know if i am in the minority if i want changes for online modes or is there a majority in the Forums what ask for similar things.

And i admit i dont have the experience with a multiple GM Character and some of them helped me to figure things out or just made me some nice gear etc... and i appreciate that.
    And i dont want to attack anyone or say his playstyle is bad or whatever, i just want to share my thoughts and ask around what others think about this to help the game to become more interesting, have more variance and to server better as a Multiplayer Game.

For SP i would be totally fine. Leave it as it is, why bother about any balancing, depedencies between players for offline SP, but for any online and MP purposes i think we strongly need limits, dependencies, restrictions and such.

What i would like to see is that Bosses like Trolls, Dragons Demons and Sieges et... aren't soloable and people need to group up to fight them. Dependecies.
    To make these groupplay intereseting i like to have more or less classic roles/ archetypes, so that people have to make decisions.

BUT!!!! I dont want the lone wolfs, i am mostly playing solo too, to be unable to play the game.
    I am only talking about World Bosses, Economy and PvP. Any Char should be able to fight in T5 Scenes!!!
    But any char shouldnt be able to cut through content like a hot knife through butter.
    And any char shouldn't be able to farm Bosses for XP and Artifacts.
    Why? For Balance in online Modes, for more variance and dependencies, for more interesting gameplay.
    For interesting PVP encounters - sometimes you will be Uber powerfull, but then you will meet your nemesis. Or think of 2 Firemages what cannot kill each other, but end in and endless battle until their Focus is drained? What we have now is not challenging, its only about time to grind and cherrypicking, and then maybe its a little bit about playerskill and what skills you choose to fight.

Same for crafters - i would like to see all Crafters to be highly dependent to their peers and nobody should be able to make a mastercraft and enchanted item in online modes.
    Items like that need to be colaborations, crafters need to be dependent on others, harvesters, enchanters etc... Therefore i would like to see some limitations/ restrictions to that part to create a real economy where players trade and ask for things, need others to make epic items...
    Actually its just who grinds the most and all can do it the best.
    Thats corresponding to Adventuring.

Those who have a lot of time and dont care about my points do well in the game, all the others dont know if they can make it ever to that "level" and if they can do that, if thats really the thing they wanted for online modes, because then any challange, any online mode purpose in sense of gamemechanics isn't vital anymore and there is no more challange.
    Unless the challenge is not kill 3 Dragons at once :confused:
    What would make the "endgame content" somewhat unreachable to "normal" players.
    Any normal person around? :p i guess not, we are playing SotA :D

IMHO the game would massively profit from having more limits, restrictions about character development/ progression and would create dependencies for online modes for Adventurers and Crafters and very important
    I dont talk about the daily adventuring, exploring and fighting Mobs T1 - T5, crafting a Stool or a set of Armor, Weapons etc. but of World Bosses, High End Content and highend gear, Masterworked + Enchanted etc... and also important only for online modes!!!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  2. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

Lord British said the most precious thing in this game is owning a house. You think it would have been a players time investment in the game is most precious.

This tells me the add-on store is their main concern and your time investment in the game is mute

these polls and what players "think" does not matter

must buy add-ons

Cordelayne and Stundorn like this.
  3. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Balancing players at the end by making them all the same (having every skill ~80) is not classless. It is a single class game.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

yes the Class we have to be is called the Avatar aka Jack of all Trades, Master of Everything.

I would like to have a statement that this is it what they want for online and Multiplayer, because then i need to overthink my concept and approach to the game.
    i allways thought that this is not intended and i want to find out if it is inteneded or if not.

@Lord British

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

With the mostly min/max mentality we have now days every serious pvp will all try for every skill they can get. The only difference in skills will be the time they have to play. In pve it does not matter so much. What is lost is true rp and playing your character with limitations and flaws. The need to group to cover your character flaws.

Belgtor, Stundorn and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

what i'm recognizing is - all this progress, level, skill whatever so called role-play elements are destroying the whole idea of roleplaying.

LB created a game controversy to UO what invited players to RP and let them RP without to even know it or have the intention to do it.
    Just because people depend on each other and the player weren't heroes, but civilians more or less.
    2 or 3 players should ever be dangerous to meet in PVP unless you are grinding the whole day for 100 years.

This Game has no Multiplayer Balance or Mutiplayer purposes if they dont implement a very more hard softcap or better hardcaps!
    I allways thought things would change over the last year, but i doubt it and think RG want the game exactly like it is. What a bad DEsign decision.

I ultimately come to the conclusion this game is if this does not change not for me. I someday want to stop developing my char and want to start playing, interacting, producnig, fighting, roleplaying, selling, buying - just live in a digital world and interact with it and the players.
    But why ? And how can that happen?
    It won't happen - a minority will allways rule both the battlefields and the market, they will make all what you achieve make worthless because they have dont it 10 times better.
    You can seperate yourself and with your fellows from all that - but at the end there is still PvP - and the consent about consensual PVP is to miss PvE Content if you do not want to partake.

The limitless and "clasless" system make MP online a farce and not only unneccessary (beside social events maybe) but really bad.
    To mention PVP - horrible!!!

I can show you a game full of Roleplay, without any Progress, no levels, nothing and you now what ? its a FPS Game!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.