Cleptomaniac?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

My avatar tries to aid the citizens of Novia in keeping their houses and furniture cleam from messy items and vegetables.

Yet, while I try to take everything that is there to take (green cursor) I usually don´t take anything that would be considered stealing (red cursor).

However as I´m sometimes a bit unpatient I press E quickly to e.g. destroy barrel/take or open drawer /take.
    And when it´s STEAL then I´m already fined when I realize that my character had stolen stuff...

Is there a way to explicitely seperate taking from stealing?

Like e.g. using E (interact) on a drawer and E (take) in case of green light - but if it´s red light E does nothing and I would have to consciously press, say S (steal)?

In the key list I see only E for interact that does all of it.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

For now, it is only the E key. It would be interesting, that if you were intentionally wanting to steal items, it would require say, holding down the ALT or CTRL key and then E.

3. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Long ago and far away, before they developed that infamous red cursor we scrounged any thing we could get our hands on not realizing that our efforts in recycling, and gathering fruits and vegetables before they rotted would be a negative Truth hit. Old books would be salvaged into scrap and remade into useful scrolls. Metal could be reforged into new tools and weapons. We were just saving the planet, and were being judged unfairly.

Elwyn, Anpu, Rhodrisan and 1 other person like this.
  4. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

One a side note, it's "Klepto" with a "K".

5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

6. CatDude

CatDude Avatar

FBohler likes this.
  7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Yes, indeed. And what the page I linked shows is that on the english side of the translation both are shown as variants. Kleptomania and Cleptomania.
    Or as WIKI has it
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cleptomania
    with cleptomania as a "dated" version of Kleptomania.

8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

the E key is both interact and take all. single click is interact and drag of each item is equivocal take one item at a time. that is how you get around stealing. what you are looking for is an easy way to just loot with out stealing which is why you need to look before you loot you Kleptomaniac/Cleptomaniac :)

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This can happen ALL the ^&%$# time: You stand near a NPC you are wanting to speak to. I have NO intention AT ALL to steal anything. None. I place the cursor on what I *think* is the NPC, by complete and total accident (this constantly happens to every single person playing the game). I then double click, fully expecting to speak to the NPC. I instead, and it is not my intended and specific intent to ever take any time, I now steal an item (against my own intent) and now lose virtue and the Justiciar show up.

In no way, shape or form, was I intending to take that item. This is what is called, an accident. I personally do not feel that system is working properly, at all.

If however, for a player to 100% intentionally steal items, could require an optional secondary key to be pressed to intentionally take stolen item, I could assume, almost every player, playing the game would have that option on, to finally, and completely avoid this "accidental" stealing of items, that again, in no way shape or form, are we intending to take.

Just my personal opinion.

10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

with NPC its because you have to click on them to engage or highlight them before E key. if they are not showing the target highlight than your cursor is not on them which is creating your accidently steal. well not intentional the idea of any RG game is that you should not be snooping or clicking on items in any ones home with out permission. Having another button for steal defeats the purpose that was intended. that is why every player that accidently does was presented with the why on the first encounter with getting caught. you than are to have learned that you can't just go through peoples stuff. its a risk. if a key was added than what is the point lol may as well make all items in shops etc flagged than as it was designed as a consequence for an action not as something that should be auto solved with a button. at least imo. if we were to follow what was expected as a UO system than everything should be flagged as property and anything you take would be stealing, would you rather see that so you know that anytime you are in a place that is not yours that all is its not and flagged? this is just my opinion based on other RG style UO games.

11. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

Wouldn't that be a problem with the network code - where the NPC is not in the location where the screen is displaying him?

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The first step is to admit you have a problem. Hello I am _____. I am a Clepto... ;)

13. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

My hand is faster than my brain.

FBohler likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have always hated this. Once I went to Owl's head to offload some loot. I ran into the alchemy shop to sell the potions I had collected, stopped with my cursor on the merchant and pressed E. Right at that moment there was a big hitch and when it recovered the camera had rotated slightly and, instead of interacting with the merchant, I had "stole" something. This has also happened on a couple other occasions even though I have been much more careful after the first indecent.

This could be alleviated by simply popping up an "Are you sure?" dialog.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I had forgotten the hitching... THAT is also a contributing factor for this. That's probably even more a contributing factor to this.

I still think just assigning an (optional) key for taking world items would be a better solution. Like an optional ALT+Left Click to take world items. If you have that set up, left clicking an item would not take it. And you would never need to worry about accidently taking items when you had no intent at all in taking an item.

16. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

One of my characters is a Kleptomaniac too - I simply love to rummage around in zones and see if there's something worthwhile to take. It's my little mini-game of treasure hunting :)

I'm conditioned to check for a red button when I want to take something - it doesn't stop me, but it's a signal to make sure no NPC's are around when I take the item. So yes, it's very confusing to encounter green Steal-buttons. I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's still a bother.

Elwyn and Anpu like this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Could you direct me to the specific name of a scene which has “Green Steal-button”?

18. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Easy - the contents of all the crates and barrel that are now considered to belong to an NPC.

Elwyn and Anpu like this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Hehe. :)

20. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.