Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Clueless after logging in.

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by WrenXIII, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrenXIII

WrenXIII Avatar

I just now fired up the game for the first time; early backer but have been sitting on the sidelines not really following the game much until there was something playable.

Maybe I am missing a tutorial video / forum post; if so just point me in the right direction ...

When I logged in, I ran around a bit, played with one of the houses, talked to the guard (because I did see a video about how you just talk to NPCs, otherwise I would have been lost with that part), walked around the city, jumped the back wall cause I wanted to look at the windmills on top of the mountain, and got stuck on the other side of the town boundary because I didn't realize that it wasn't supposed to be an explorable area.

There is no readily apparent actions to take to get started on interacting with the game, nor any instructions on how to talk to the NPCs, nor any instructions on how to get started crafting, or any instructions on how to get more equipment.

Yes, this is just Alpha, I know that; but it would probably be a good idea to toss together some kind of quick start field guide book to dump into players inventory.

Just something simple stating "go here, do this" so clueless sorts (like me) don't just log in and go "Errrrr?" before jumping the back wall and getting stuck outside of town.

Even within moments of logging, and despite having no idea what to do, it it felt like I was back in Britannia again. You guys have already delivered on reawakening the magic, keep up the good work.

2. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Yeah, a bit early for guides, tho a written up one would probably be helpful. Someone here in the forums could probably create a short guide that helps.

Mostly you could run around, play with houses, talk to NPCs, try to make stuff. So you pretty much covered a lot of the basics that can be done. ;)

Sometime later they'll definitely want a tutorial/entry that gives you some starter hints. Probably akin to getting your fortune read by the gypsy or whatever, that introduces you to movement, conversation, etc. NPCs through conversation later could instruct you on basic crafting. A combat trainer that teaches you how to fight, etc. But it's definitely early for this to be included in game, but for alpha a short guide probably wouldn't hurt.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. WrenXIII

WrenXIII Avatar

I'm not talking tutorials or missions, I know it is way too early for that, but I'm looking at the game and the only things that I can inherently figure out is that you double click the doors to open them and that clicking on the signs brings up a menu to change what type of house is on that plot of land.

... the second issue was by accident, I thought that if I clicked on the sign it would let me read the address of the lot it was in front of.

4. monxter

monxter Avatar

www.sotawiki.net

http://sotawiki.net/sota/R2_Crafting_Guide

There's some stuff that you might find helpful, good luck ;)

There will be a better (in-game) introduction to crafting, probably already in R3 but definitely later on it'll improve.

I don't know what kind of tutorial there'll be in SoTA, but I doubt it'll be the basic handheld questing type. This game will require you to think where to find information / points of interest.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

There was some instruction given in both the forum posts being made by Starr and in the email you should have received on what was being tested.

Mishri, Valice_Belgraham and monxter like this.
  6. monxter

monxter Avatar

7. Oliver Sudden

Oliver Sudden Avatar

I was pretty much in the same boat as OP. I was overall very happy with the few days I got to walk around and check some things out, and, since this is still very early in the whole process, wasn't at all surprised that it isn't a "game" yet.

Actually, I felt like a member of the dev team most of the time my char was walking around. I liked that!

I never got anything crafted, never even figured out how to separate stacks, but I got enough of a feel to be more excited than I had been. I'm just hoping that the single player, offline experience is decent since that's what I'll be playing. I have no desire to play an MMO, and without broadband and with a capped download, I won't even be able to try online much. To that end, I'm hoping for more than just lots of empty houses and lots for people to buy in the towns, but I understand that's what many people want.

8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I had NO idea about the houses!

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I definitely felt like crafting will need a small insane tutorial among other things but there are several videos on YouTube that are guides of sorts people have made. My self and Baron Violation did a live stream using Google Hangouts that's posted on YouTube during Release 2 we plan on doing another one for Release 3 as far as I'm aware to answer questions and such. If you're interested in this be sure to join the SotA Community of Google+ you can find a link to it in my signature.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yes, reading the release instructions is very important. Many people aren't reading them and they come to the forums asking questions that are covered in the instructions.

These instructions could probably be put in game, but it might require implementing a feature that later needs removed. Or is planned but not implemented yet.

I'm not sure why people aren't reading the instructions, I get all my links for the downloads from the forum posts though which have the information there. My dad got his links from the e-mails and he was clueless on what to do. So my thinking is they need to make some way for the e-mails to make the HOW TO PLAY THIS very important notation in the e-mail.

Hazard and Gracekain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.