Combat questions

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by FanofIolo, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

I read the user guide provided with R12, but still have problems with combat (and other things as well, but my questions here will be restricted to combat)

1. Double-clicking on an enemy (e.g. spider or wolf) is supposed to enter auto-attack mode. This only works for me if I am facing an enemy which is in arm's length. In many cases I see an enemy coming up behind me or from the side and would like my character to turn to face the enemy and attack it when I double-click on it, but this doesn't happen. Instead, my character does nothing and gets bashed and more often than not, killed, without even striking a blow. Is there a way to make the character engage the enemy even if the character isn't facing the enemy? If I were able to quickly move my character into position, I would do this, of course, but I am unable to master the controls to the required extent because of Carpal Tunnel Syndrom. I will never be an agile fighter.

2. Is there a guide somewhere that explains the glyph and deck system more thoroughly than the user guide does? I understand that the slots at the bottom of the screen contain glyphs for special skills that use up focus. I would like to be able to use a healing spell during combat, but haven't figured out how to do that. I tried to replace one of the glyphs with the healing spell glyph, but got some error message saying I need to acquire a memory skill first. I was able to create a deck, but didn't really know what I was doing, and as the glyphs appear randomly, I didn't have the healing glyph available when I needed it. What is the purpose of a deck, anyway? Why is it useful?

Thanks for any help I can get :)

Lonn the Earl and Arianna like this.
  2. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

1: Just sheathing your weapon and going close to the monster seems to make me auto attack? I think i read that "T" toggles auto attacking. For engaging the enemy, i think you need to turn towards it currently, i am sure it will be automatic in theh future.

2: You can mix the skills in all possible ways. I currently have Earth, Death, Life, Focus, Tactics, Light Armor, Shield.
    So far i think the skills without the icon does not work, so only aim for those with an Icon, atleast that works for me.
    When you have bought the skills you want, press "Y" i think, and start building your deck. Just drag the healing spell to your deck, and you can use it in combat :)
    I still don't understand the deck 100%, but hope i atleast helped a little... otherwise come to my house near the graveyard in Braemar, and we can talk :p

3. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

enderandrew and Lonn the Earl like this.
  4. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

@Town-Portal: thanks, I may drop in some time (my character is Kara Brae). I will try the T-toggle to see if it makes any difference. I thought I had done that, but maybe I toggled auto-attack off instead of on.

@Arianna: the videos are just what I needed to understand the Deck system. Thanks so much for posting the links!

Arianna and Lonn the Earl like this.
  5. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

For number 1

You pretty much have to face the creature yourself. The game does not do this for you. Also the auto attack only goes off when you are in range. I think this is great since it opens up the ability to use tactics instead of just clicking buttons and standing there head to head.

I started out having problems too because I was going head to head like in many other games. Now I mostly kite around the enemy and try to attack things from behind (trying to time my next auto attack) and dart back out. Its actually lots of fun.

I do get sometimes where the auto attack does not seem to work even when target is outlined in red. What I do to start auto when it dont work is use one of my attacks in the quick bar. That usually gets things started. (Had not figured out why yet but will maybe try T when I get back in.)

FanofIolo likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

ill help you get your skills set up :) message me

FanofIolo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.