Combat scripted ai will not work

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Where can i find more information on this class?

Jakdaw Foxlauden likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Countcristodemonte
    Why the sockpuppet? If you get tempbanned to cool down, wouldn't it be better to actually cool down?

Destroying Angel and Themo Lock like this.
  3. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

It's interesting that I've never seen probability enter this discussion, at least overtly. Shoot, there's a basic math principle that gets used in all sorts of stuff, why not the design of Encounters against players with 'random' decks?

I'm not saying there isn't some magic programmer hoodoo in the background that the Devs used to control some of the combat, but if you consider the Max number of cards in a deck versus the number of cards you have in a given skill, it becomes easy. "I have 5 Flame Fists in a deck of 25, erego I'm going to draw Flame Fist 20% of the time". Figure that into a equation that involves an encounter, and the rest is just some long calculations that I'll happily leave to the people that actually enjoy doing it. :p

Commenting on the OP, I agree that if the enemies were all clones of players, with player skills, it would get dull pretty fast. Luckily, the enemy (as any good DM will tell you) never has to play fair. :D

ENTER PURPLE LLAMA!!! *everyone in this thread dies*

4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

You miss the whole thing that the server have the random seed number so nothing is really unknown for the server? Only thing that is random is if the PC actually uses the skills ha have access to but that is true for all games.

5. Countcristodemonte

Countcristodemonte Avatar

Actually this is the only game where ability icons aren't static so no it's not like every other game. Server seed number has nothing to do with the boss encounter ai as well

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It doesn't matter to be honest.

They aren't taking into consideration every scroll or magic item you could possibly have in rpg's as well....

This is easy enough to figure out how many skills someone will have at any given level.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Kind of a pointless thread, clearly it will work just fine or it wouldn't be in place.

Jakdaw Foxlauden and Gaelis like this.
  8. Countcristodemonte

The only thing pointless is arguing with the same few people who refuse to go inform themselves on how mmos are made.

And yes the devs scrutinize and allocate for every ability it be put ingame that's why they track how much each one gets used and at what dps. So they can BALANCE encounters.

Every mmo tight balances every ability from every class

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

please link us to the MMO you have created?

10. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Apologies if I offend, but as arguments go, this one is becoming circular in nature. Most of the people on this forum will respect your right to an opinion any day of the week, but that doesn't mean they're required to accept it. We're hitting that point where it's just arguing for argument's sake. THAT is what is making this thread pointless.

I'll return to this thread if/when it's back to providing the OP with constructive feedback on their question. Frankly, I think it wise for all of us to do so.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That IS the OP, he got banned.

12. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Is it? Heh. Missed that one. I suppose I won't be back to this thread, then. Cheers!

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  13. Countcristodemonte

How did He get banned? I highly doubt that. Pretty sure it takes more than an account ban to silence him;p

I'm not the one making platitudes and offering up my opinion as fact. Go read any basic book on AI design and it will follow the premise I laid out.

As far as games I've worked on, both asherons calls as well as Everquest up until kunark and even had I not, my points would be the same. At least I'm offering something concrete instead of just one persons assumptions of " you can fudge complex Ai without rudimentary knowledge of player composition"

Again offer a non platitude that is arguable moreso than an unverifiable or documentable opinion

I'm not the first one to have this idea/concern but most that know anything of scripting and/or combat functionality have left because they see the writing on the wall and see that combat is shaping up to be a bg vortex of suck

Tahru likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Heh, well I'm glad you let me know I was a bit concerned at first.

None of what you said has actually changed my mind btw.

Jakdaw Foxlauden and Tahru like this.
  15. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Are you serious?

If you have the random seed number you can as an example in advance see when the PC can activate what skill. Your argument is or at least was that you would not be able to see if a character ever would get his heal. If you know the seed you will have that info way before the combat even begins.

But still that you are looking for is a scaling that have nothing at all to do with AI. AI is about decision making with somewhat logical randomness in it.

To end things of SotA, as many other games will not have the kind of scaling you are asking for, simply because it do not fit the game. From a RPG perspektive should a certain creature always have about the same abilities, hp and so on, some variance of course but that should not be depending on PC abilities. Why would it ever change just due to what PC that are around, that would break the immersion.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

:D

If I know the random seed I can easy make an algorithm that steps forward on the seed long before I send the actual random number to the client. Therefore I will know exactly what skill will be available every second of the combat. If you do not have understanding of so basic programming algorithms I doubt you even know how to program simple things much less an MMO.

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Uhm... You can keep up the conversation since he is still posting... It was Veylen The AenigmA that started the OP, but he maintains Countcristodemonte as a sockputppet. This since he gets tempbanned a lot.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Booooo! get off! *flings tomato*

Tahru likes this.
  19. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

To be 100% correct so have you been speaking about scaling and not AI so you are correct on that point and I have never said that.

It was you that started to talk about scaling (note not AI) and how you needed to about which runes would be available (see first quote), I just argued that if you really want to know you can find out.

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  20. Countcristodemonte

Actually I never said the word scaling. I've consistenly said AI boss fights. Which isn't a matter of scaling anything like I said it has to do with how the enemy acts and reacts. Aaannndd that's called artificial intelligence.

You have no solid factual argument so you are relying on semantics that were never even discussed.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.