Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat UI is like having an extra adversary

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Bluefire, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I am finding that the entire UI system is driving me nuts in combat. One battle I can move with the right click, another battle I just stand there and have to remember to hold down the middle mouse button, sometimes I have to use the keyboard to move. This is flat out driving me nuts and can completely prevent me from pressing the attack or fleeing. It's like an additional adversary that I do not need in combat.

Me personally I want to always be able to do the following:
    Move the mouse cursor when there is no primary mouse button pressed - personally don't enjoy mouselook.
    Right-click to move the camera
    Left-Click to select/target and interact with/attack
    {Left+Right}-Click to move

I want this to work for me 100% of the time regardless of the following states:
    a) Moving
    b) Combat
    c) UI window open
    d) Auto Attack
    e)Peace

Strangely enough this would be exactly how things were pre-release 29, only with a new mouselook mode for those who enjoy that.

I get why the movement combinations break but it is too complex. When I am in combat I need to be able to move the same way...always. I will never use wasd or the arrow keys for standard movement. My left hand controls attacks - has in every MMO I've ever played and always will because if the MMO won't support it I'll macro/keymap it. But how can I do this to compensate for fluctuating movement controls? I can't.

The problem is too many things change the movement config and it changes based on the order you do things. It isn't intuitive, fun, or easy to understand.

[​IMG]

To fix this movement keys should always be the same based on the mode we are in. Mouselook should always be right-click to move whether a window is open or not. If over the window right-click should be captured by the window, but if over the scene it should move the Avatar. Sure the cursor should be freed to move, but movement should not change. Cursor mode should always be right-click to look and left+right to move - again superseded when actually over a window for the menus.

My guess is someone figured we couldn't use left with right to move while in cursor mode in battle because it would be "confusing" to have the power bar start working while moving. Doesn't bother me any! It's exactly how it works in mouselook mode. Left for manual attack & right to move with mouse looking. Works great. Why throw in middle mouse click on cursor mode? Have you tried left+right+middle? It's awful! Right+middle is bad enough in auto attack mode.

I am also confused why I have to turn on auto-attack at the beginning of every battle. It should be a toggle, not an action.

Please fix this!

2. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Charged attack, auto attack, mouse look, free look, wasd (I use waxd), mouse move, and then throw in a deck system that not only uses combos but also the silly and confusing stacking (my opinion).

You cannot please everyone! Please pick something that works and then present the rationale... then stick with it and move on!
    Please.

randomonium likes this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

My only real problem is I get whiplash when I go on the over-world map.. because it forces cursor-mode on you.

It's more like, if you support all of these control schemes, make sure that it stays consistent for players when they do pick a particular control scheme.

Bluefire, Manerd and Fister Magee like this.
  4. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@Gix
    I do not think they can support all of them, that is why I say come up with something that works. It is too many things for two hands and the minimum three button mouse.

agra and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.