Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combo Glyphs - Value vs. Effort?

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Do any grand masters out there actually bother with Combo Glyphs anymore? I tend to see more folks stacking the same Glyph rather than creating Combo Glyphs... Are they still desirable? Are they too complicated for the value of what they return?

When I was playing a Dual Blades and Fire build, I used them much more often, but now that I play Dual Maces and Subterfuge, I haven't given them any thought in a long while. They feel so distant and unattractive to me as a player. Maybe they feel like that because I didn't stumble upon any of them with my new choices, or maybe I'm a bad player and I just don't understand the allure, if there is any.

Anyways, here was a thought I had...

My brother just started playing SotA recently, and he made the comment, "I wish there were more abilities in these trees. They feel a little empty." Which brought me to this idea:

Why not treat Combo Glyphs as unlockable "hidden" Glyphs that your Avatar learns from reaching a level of skill with both of the required Glyphs in the original combo setup? Kind of like... usable Achievements. The combat equivalent of Recipe Discovery! No need to combine during combat, just add them to your Deck as normal.

If players could choose these Glyphs more often over a Glyph from another tree just for the desired tactical effect, perhaps our Avatars would feel a bit more defined in theme?

That was my thought. If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them. :)

Ravenclaw, stratigos, uziraff and 5 others like this.
  2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

The only time I use a combo is in pvp for the negative Dex effect, that being said, the fight is usually over before the 2 glyphs appear to be stacked to create the combo. I love the idea of having hidden combos, that only appear once 2 skills are raised to high enough levels to unlock.

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I Never Use Them~:(
    As others have said, too slow an interface, or I'm just not fast enough... or it's just not a user friendly enough interface to bother o_O
    Love your posts @CrazyPhil !
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

stratigos and CrazyPhil like this.
  4. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

I use the "r" key (bound to my left side button 3) then press number 1 to combine it with number 2. I set this up by setting those combo glyphs to populate in those 2 slots. In reality that is almost an instant combo created. Also this works great for stacking. NOW if some folks are unaware of this, if you have t he extra money, and buy a gaming keyboard that is backlit. Turn on the option to enable Shroud to communicate with it. My stackables and combo keys light up a different color as a visual indicator.

Armar, Spoon, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  5. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Aww... thank you! :D I love shootin' the shizz with all of you. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

The other thing not covered so far is the disparity in combos avaliable between trees. Blades, fire and chaos contain the vast majority of combos.

I agree the usability is limiting especially when the base glyphs are unwanted in the deck.

7. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I should switch my combo button from X to a Mouse Button. Thanks for reminding me. I fell in love with Q, E, R, F, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 after playing Bloodline Champions. X is probably slowing me down a bit.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

where do i find this option?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Ill show you tonight when I get on, I believe it is under the game tab in option enable peripherals devices.

Time Lord and Moonshadow like this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Once you get any attunement, active glyph, and stats to 74+, I personally see no point in combo's, on common content. It may be possible to justify them if you're solo'ing the group content in the rise, or trying to solo the group content in the shardfalls. The only reason in those cases is that some fights last longer than 3 hits of any active glyph.

If your goal is to obtain resources, once you're over 300HP (adv level 50+), and have any single glyph 4 times in the deck, with a small deck, you have the skill available more than 75% of the time in combat. You can literally spam damage so much that auto attack, combo's, debuffs of any kind, and all of that? Meaningless, pointless, complete waste of time. Just press that "I win" active glyph three times, the creature is dead, move on to the next creature. Even 5 skull zones aren't really that hard unless you walk straight into 10 enemies. And if you're in a duo, trio or more? Outdoor zones are just silly easy.

Shroud is a strange game, in R28. All the danger is in the first few hours, then you're so grossly overpowered for the content you're "supposed to" be consuming, the game is just tediously boring and trivial, if you're playing primarily for resource acquisition. Furthermore, gear is also pointless. You can be this effective naked or wearing one piece of armor to enable those armor type skills. If you choose magic, you don't even need a weapon in your hands. It's all very.. odd. o_O
    Short version is, difficulty/challenge is just getting ahead of respawn, so building for DPS is the only viable/efficient option, and doing so makes you VERY powerful. /shrug

11. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'm not a grandmaster... maybe that's why i use the two available ranged - air magic combos o_O. I play solo most of the time so i find them convenient... also i enjoy playing the game as it is meant to be played so i can think about how it should feel when it's finished. Regarding Combos, in the vastness of the forums there's a post where Chris said that he's delaying combos because including them is next to no effort... I assume the current focus is to get all the abilities into place and sort of functional (a state that from here seems to be far away from now) and then he'll start including combos.

I like combos, and i also like the idea of "improved glyphs" or "hidden glyphs" depending on how you're imagining it. Nonetheless that kind of powerups earned at "high level" may be in detriment on the logarithmic scale of power that's planned.

You speak truth, man. As i said above combat is still far away from being a full fledged system, imo. Many things to be fixed so all skills are worthy of being used, and we can enjoy fun challenges without resorting to an imba dungeon. You know what? Let's start by removing the innates! :p

12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I used Fiery Decay until the fire/death trees were nerfed and that was pretty great back then, but I've since switched trees and there's just no skill combos available. I mean there really has to be a lot of them to find, let alone to find some that are viable.

I've never gotten much further than level 20 (though I got to level 40 once), and I've had the same sort of experience with difficulty - the early game is harsh, and then the mid game becomes trivial and dull with the bad guys giving pretty super low rewards. As far as I can tell from other players, they're putting in hundreds of hours of very repetitive play to get the masses of gold they're getting.

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.