Commemorative coin colour could do with some improvement to differentiate the types

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Mapper, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

09/05/2023 13:36
    Title: Commemorative coin colour could do with some improvement to differentiate the types

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? No

Details: The colours of coins almost all look the same, even silver is looking quite gold

Steps to Reproduce:

[​IMG]

I have from left to right, 2 bronze, 1 silver and 2 gold. Bronze is OK but silver absolutely looks more gold then anything.

User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 32712
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GPU RAM: 8031
    SotA.Win.64.1672.Date.09.04.23
    Area: POT_island_metropolis_01_template/Fidra
    Area Display Name: Fidra
    Loc: (16.1, 89.0, 0.5)
    Debug: UE9UX2lzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfEZpZHJhfCgxNi4wOTYsIDg4Ljk2NywgMC40NzUpfCgwLCAtMC4xNzMsIDAsIDAuOTg1KXwtMTkuOTQ2NTV8NDIuMjg4NjR8MA==

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the suggestion! The coin colors are based on a standard set of metal colors that Scottie made a long time ago and I'm not sure I want to deviate too much from the baseline, but I'll look into the coin colors and VFX to see if there's some tweaking that would still follow the set coloring guidelines. Issue #71682

Mapper likes this.
  3. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I believe a deviation was made in the treasure chest trophies for this very reason. My recollection is that they used copper instead of bronze since it reads better in game. That said, the silver to me is fine, and it's only the close color of bronze/gold that's ever made me mouseover to differentiate. In the end I imagine there will always be some lighting situations that make them look either ambiguous or miscolored, so presumably it can never be perfect.

Mapper likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

this is definitely partially a problem of lighting: light from the common candles/torches/fires tends to be rather yellowish. i took the shot in the release notes with a white light and their difference is much clearer.