Community Hangout - Towns/Housing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The suggestion that I put forward means that an individual would take 3 days to change their flag, that means they are attackable in a PvP area as well as any other area unless it is a player town set as non-PvP.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Right, that's more what I'm talking about. I don't want to wait for days for them to come out of their hole. I want to take care of them closer to the moment before they get a chance to hide in their hole.

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Ok, so what was the 2-5 minute cool down thing about? I still don't understand that.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Then this is more to do with players who are actually flagged as non-PvPers who enter a PvP scene. in that case you either lock them in a scene for say 60 min after combat...which I would say is unreasonable or the PvP flag follows them to every other scene for 60min.

Either way the non-PvPer would scream how unfair the rule would be and it would never be implemented, or if it was they would just run to non-PvP areas and sit it out. The worst case (most likely) is that it would discourage non-PvPers from entering a PvP zone.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The short period cooldown basically prevents anyone from escaping a scene for 'x' amount of time. It's really to stop people who are low on health escaping into the world map so to speak.

A little bit like UO where they stop people from recalling or using a moongate....they even stopped people entering a house (which I didn't like....house fighting was cool).

Net likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

The scenes are small, it doesn't make sense to lock anyone in that jail. I think players should have the ability to run about the world, but the pvp flag should limit where they can and can't go. It's really about accountability. If the devs implement a system where players can flag themselves pvp or non-pvp easily, then the system will be exploitable easily.

And while you and your guild mates may not care one way or the other...players that want to pvp on a more casual basis will find an exploitable system that rewards the worst type of player and punishes people that are just trying to have fun in a reasonably competitive environment.

smack likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Ok, that makes more sense now. Of course there should be a timer that keeps people from exiting a scene, logging off, or teleporting (2 minutes) is probably fine for that since wherever they go they would still be flagged for PVP and could not run and hide someone that they couldn't be attacked.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I don't believe any flag should restrict you from any area.

The thing is if you are a PvPer you have constant accountability, you are pretty much always open for attack unless in a rare location (probably a player town) where it is prohibited.

Your absolutely right, it is the casual PvPer....in fact it's worse than that....it's actually the non-PvPer who will look for the exploit if they are inclined to operate that way.

This is the main reason why people like myself would have loved the open world non-consensual PvP like UO once was along with various safe guards. That can't happen so there are certain things we have to put up with, can't punish the vast majority for the actions of a handful of players.

9. Drocis the Devious

You can define them anyway you want. But I found people doing this in Darkfall where there were no "safe zones". They'd bait people to set off the Tesla Towers (or whatever they were called) and when the other player turned red, they'd kill them and take their stuff. That's the same kind of thing. They'd never leave the protected areas, they'd just annoy people until they found someone that didn't know what was up and take advantage of them.

The "real pvper" may not do that, but there are plenty of other people that will...so you need a system that holds them accountable.

Sean Silverfoot (PAX) and Net like this.
  10. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

This is a good point, there should definitely be some identification sent to Portalarium and perhaps next of kin information and instructions. As a funeral director in real life i know well the disruptions death cause beyond tragedy of losing an irreplaceable unique individual. This does not take away in the least from what Jatvardur is saying, if anything it complements it quite well. It allows the company to deal with people on an individual basis with the assurance of knowing exactly who the account/town owner is in case of hacking or fraudulent activity. Im not sure how things work here but once you hit a certain level of funding within star citizen you have access to concierge service. Even within that there are supposedly different levels of responsiveness depending on how much someone has contributed. You folks owning towns and high level pledges certainly warrant that level of attention.

11. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

A lot of good ideas after I watched the meeting chat, I will plug in my thoughts below.

1) The vendors talk with a avatar and there response can be keywords, easily done with a general script and a note card the owner only can edit. Plotting a roaming or set path for the NPC using way points is not hard and that plotting can be on a separate editable note card. The script time and having to many running scripts and roaming NPCs on the simulator running 24/7 might be a issue lag wise if it can not fit into the instance cycle time but can be tried and monitored test wise.

2) For the banning issue the suggestion of town guards I think would have been the most fun, the rest seems it would be a bit much to have it sync right with PVP toggle and a ban list. If the ban list exists in a town it should be an option of the owner or whoever they way to do it build into the town controls this can also be done with a note card or a drop down edit.

3) To many POTs in the game should not be a issue for guilds and friends will hang out together no matter what and the in game system of allowing them to get their own with in game gold should be left there,. I am not sure how it would effect the POTs that looked at the game as a profitable venture. If there are a lot of gamers that come in and I think they will, so far there is a large mix of talent involed and it will be unique. I do not think it will matter how many POTs there are. Those that do not want to be in a POT unless its a guild POT of theirs, will just stay in the game cities until they can.

4) House displayed signs is a good idea if for nothing else to keep roamers out wondering if there vendors or whats inside, I had suggested at least a sign color code system of the sign to let others know whats there, like a blue tint for vendors, yellow for private, ect ect.. would help in towns to get around or be able to at least see what the home is and has.

A lot can be done with scripts in items or NPCs that have the ability to edit a note card inside, this can also be done on the more polished side with drop down selection menus or text input menus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.