Constructive criticism for the pet taming system.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoristheImpaler, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoristheImpaler

BoristheImpaler Avatar

Right now, the pet system has a few glaring issues. This is exponentially worse for new pet tamers whose skills are at 1.

1: The 1 hour summon cool down. This is BY FAR the worst part because it makes raising the summon skill glacially slow. And you have to get your summon skill to 10 before you can start raising the skills for combat. focus drain, courage and summon cool down.

So at level 1 summon, let's say it takes 30 pet summons to raise the summon skill to 10. With the 1 hour summon cool down, it would take only 30 HOURS to raise the summon skill to 10. But most people don't play 30 hours at a time. If someone played 5 hours a day, it would take 6 DAYS to raise the summon skill to 10.

And if you're a high level vet and don't remember, a pet without combat skill points is really weak. My large timber wolf has combat skills 10 which gives it a +1 level bonus. I had it fight another large timber wolf and it lost... bad.

2: Pet improvement skills (combat, focus drain, courage, summon cool down) are not increased with pet combat. The only way to raise these skills is with summoning and pet taming. This can be even glacially slower than #1 because once at level 10 summoning, you can still only summon once per hour.

My suggestions for improvement:

1: Change the 1-hour cool down to 5 minutes and have the summon cool down skill lower it to 1 minute.

2: Eliminate the summon skill in the skill tree and combine it with tame.

3: Have combat increase the pet improvement skills.

There are probably better ways to fix pet taming. Anyone feel free to offer your own ideas.

P.S. Does anyone know if the resurrect skill will work on pets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.