Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Control Points are Working as Expected (Local Economy is "cool")

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Black Tortoise, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So due to this bug, where I was "zoned" from Drachvald to Hometown/Soltown, I had some good insights on how the Control Points affect local economy (or facilitate their existence).

The release is new and I am trying a mage, so paper armor and low hitpoints make it extremely challenging to run through an archer-laden zone like Vauban Pass. In addition, I get "bonus challenges" in the form of Linux client bugs, which equate to: cant cast heal while moving or I die, death = instant teleport out of zone and game client crashes (so always have rez sickness debuff). This controls my ability to leave Drachvald, which, due to the temporary cloning of zones, has some rather "unfruitful" zones in terms of resources and gold (except for gem mines...). Eastreach gap is much easier but still tricky with a paper armor lowbie (that also cant cast heal).

Right now, I'd say the SE of Novia is the best place to make money for a brand new character, simply due to prevalence of low-level undead. Drachvald, by comparison, is great for wolf skins, and thats about it (gross oversimplification). I want to get my carpentry and clothes shop up and running, but the fuels are so expensive, and money is hard to come by. As an aside, I love this nuanced complexity of the game culture, I think this is going to play out in an increasingly interesting manner with each passing release.

I took full advantage of this bug that teleported me past both control points, and ran straight for East Veiled Swamp. I killed skeletons till I was full, sold the Ectoplasmic Residue and salvaged all their gear, and went back to the swamp. I repeated this until I couldnt carry anymore (I have the heavy lifting ability ;) ). I made a big chunk of cash, and have tons more scrap and other resources, and now I am going to plough through some crafting.

This benison to my crafting career simply came about because I "inexpensively travelled" from one region to another. One with different resources at the ready than mine. Thus it really pays off to travel far and wide throughout New Britannia, and make good friends with all the locals. That way one can increase the chances of having a friend in each region to use the Teleport scroll with, for similar reasons - need quick cash, need a specific resource, or want to bring rare resources to a local market. Without the ability to just /zone virtually anywhere, the game culture receives better depth and complexity. Travel is more significant, which I find to be fun. Local cultures will emerge and evolve, and hopefully some fun rivalries will evolve along with it.

kbruder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.