Cooking batches maximum 20 limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodchuck, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Is 20 items the maximum per "batch" each time for cooking?
    I cannot set this number to be greater than 20 even though my cooking skill is currently at 63.
    I have lots of wheat harvested (1000+) and was going to make them all into sacks of wheat grain.
    Why can't i set it to just keep making until they are all done? (or at least some other amount which is more reasonable than 20, like 100?)

Brugas and amarious like this.
  2. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Yup, 20 is max. With some of the refining skills there's a skill to increase the batch count and that only works for some of the recipes. For cooking, no such thing exists.

Woodchuck likes this.
  3. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

+1. There is a 'Batch' skill for Refining but not for Production, any particular reason why?

Woodchuck likes this.
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Agreed. That's the reason I asked. I noticed for other skills it was able to go above 20 at the stations. Why is cooking limited to only 20?

20 seems unreasonably low to me.

Nikko likes this.
  5. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

Batch skills only affect the refining process... not the production... So Butcher gets it, but not cooking... textiles gets it, but not tailoring.. etc...

Woodchuck likes this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

To Devs: Why should refining skills be able to batch create more than production skills? What is the reasoning behind this differentiation?

amarious likes this.
  7. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

AFAIK the reason is botting and producing items while afk

Woodchuck likes this.
  8. amarious

amarious Avatar

If anything it makes people want to Bot even more.

I keep brining up this game, but they really are doing a great job.. Conan Exiles..with their crafting system if you have mats to make 100 of something in your inventory.. It allows you to do it.. It's seriously the first game that doesn't make me want to scoop out my eyes while crafting.

9. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

In all honesty, what the OP is describing (wheat -> grain) is a refinement, and should be part of a refinement tree where the batch sizes can be larger. Cooking is a production tree, and should produce usable items (in this case, food).
    Maybe the problem here is that sacks of grain are also considered to be deco items, in addition to ingredients to other recipes. And deco items are "finished products". Personally, in cases like this, I'd rather refine a single item to use for deco, rather than limit the production of "finished products".

Woodchuck likes this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Chris You want to add skills as stretch goals? Batching skills for components and end-products!

amarious and Woodchuck like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The whole thinking is still kinda weird. For example, if I mill wood into timber, that's refining, and the batching skill applies. But if I mill boards from that timber, that's "making components" and not refining, so still stuck with a batch limit of 20. Refining skill trees only came in a few releases ago, with more for components and end-products "to come."

I wanted to make a few hundred casks for whiskey, but damn, it takes me all friggin' evening just to get thirty or forty, because you have to mill the wood into timber, the timber into boards, smelt ore into ingots, forge ingots into bindings, make barrels from boards and bindings, then casks from barrels and a symbol. (WHICH IS SERIOUSLY STUPID AS HELL- PLEASE LET ME JUST COMBINE INGREDIENTS AND A BARREL TO GET A CASK OF WHISKEY.) And then I have to combine the barley with water and yeast (don't get me started on making yeast) to get "whiskey ingredients" I can combine with the empty cask to finally get a cask of whiskey. I actually do like that there are a lot of steps to crafting, as it makes it feel more like a process than dumping wood, barley, ore, water, and yeast onto a table and poof! getting whiskey, but OMG IT TAKES ALL FLIPPIN' NIGHT. Maybe there's a tech reason why the brewing is so additionally complex on top of something already complex, but I feel like it should be one step from barrel/barley/yeast/water to a filled cask, rather than three. And all of this would be much better if there were more speed/batching skills.

Rentier and Woodchuck like this.
  12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

To me, the discussion of justifying allowing X items to be batch crafted (over 20) vs Y items that cannot be batched over 20, is moot.

It's inconsistent policy application to the game. Because, this is about game mechanics. If the intent is to curb unattended/afk gaming, shouldn't the 20 batch limit be applied universally regardless of what 'thing' you are trying to craft? Why does it matter if it's 'refinement' vs 'finished', when what is happening is the game is saying it's okay to afk game to mill wood into boards, but it's not okay to afk if you want to turn those boards into barrels.

Essentially, the game is allowing afk gaming in some circumstances, and not others, which doesn't make sense.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sort of. It only doesn't make sense because it is currently only half-implemented. (Why it's not fully implemented is a different discussion.)

14. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So my suspicion is that they are waiting for the time and breathing room to do batching for components. Since speed, count and efficiency all came in at once, maybe they are watching how it affects things over the long haul prior to expanding.

It would be nice if batch size and speed were expanded to components and production.

Woodchuck likes this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Its not just batch size and speed though. There is also a skill that gives you extra materials. If you're refining, it makes a lot more sense to have a skill that increases yield once in a while, (as you get more efficient making things, it makes sense you're getting more yields because your producing less waste) but when making finished products that would be pretty strange.

Production items shouldnt have increased yield. If I'm creating a piece of plate armor, and we used them same skills for refining, I would be getting a chance (20% at gm) to create 2 of them from one set of materials. Maybe instead for production items, that skill could increase your chance of getting an exceptional item by a small %.

I don't see a problem using the speed and batch skills for production items though.

Woodchuck likes this.
  16. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Agree where real production items should not qualify for efficiency per se. I would assume that they may be evaluating efficiency for crafting components. I.E. 1 ingot = 2 bindings, efficiency would bring it to 3. Efficiency came around to offset harrumphing regarding the quantity of goods needed to make equipment. Specifically the fancier equipment with enchants and masterworks.

Since efficiency came alongside the first batching and speed, then users may expect the same if more were introduced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.