Could Stretch Goals Include Game Features?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I acknowledge I don't know the intricacies of planning/building/implementation/maintenance for a game like SotA @DarkStarr . But I was just wondering, and wanted to get the communities impressions, on whether Portalarium could make monthly Stretch Goals for in-game features?

Don't get me wrong. I love the eternal pattern I got out of the Darkstarr Chaos Staff. And I missed May the Fourth's telethon, but look forward to spending some in-game gold on items people sell. Not to mention all the other items I received over the last two years or so for those telethons I participated in.

However, is it feasible to set up stretch goals for some in-game features? I know there are a lot of ideas out there. But there are a few unknown variables if Portalarium were willing and able to do it:
    • What types of features? Both in terms of what Portalarium can do with the resources they have available, and whether such features would benefit both the game and the company's profitability.
    • How would such features be selected? First, Portalarium would have to be able to implement the feature. Second, maybe voting could take place the prior month to get the community involved.
    • Would this negatively impact any quarterly/yearly/episodic roadmaps?
    • How long would such a feature take to implement? Generally, it seems like we have gotten items within two releases of the telethon where the item was offered. Anything more than three releases would probably fit better in a full add-on like a new episode.
    • Ultimately, what would such a feature cost? Again, if the price is exorbitant (above $125K or the highest amount used in the past, whether or not it was met), it would likely be something that would be considered for a full add-on like a new episode.
    I don't know which ones would be considered by Portalarium, and more than soliciting ideas (of which we have many, I am sure), I am really asking whether or not this is possible - both from Portalarium's ultimate perspective, and whether the community would be receptive to this idea.

Personally, I would choose in-game features over schwag. But that's just me. I know other people will feel differently.

To use an example: mounts. Now, I know the goals were not reached during the Kickstarter for this. And I also know it was mentioned that something related to mounts would appear in Episode 2, and that the Stretch Goal Store would be opened specifically. And that's great, but I am looking more at continued features, not episodic. And this provides a nice example without inundating Portalarium with specific requests.

Assuming it could be implemented with a monthly Stretch Goal, what would that cost? If it's more than the highest goal ever set for a monthly telethon (not sure, I recall something in the $125K range, but I am likely wrong), then it would not be feasible. Assume that it was a reasonable amount that could be met. Next up is how long it would take to implement. Now, assume again that it could be done within three releases.

Wouldn't this benefit the game? Ultimately wouldn't it be profitable if it were possible? A base mount with several variations in color could be provided in-game through some mechanism (quest and/or NPC mount vendor). But then Portalarium could create an additional revenue stream by selling more exotic mounts (and maybe providing rare mounts in-game), along with selling mount features in the Store (wearables, etc.).

What are your thoughts? Note: I know we have a lot of ideas for in-game features. I specifically held of on suggestions because that's not the heart of what I am trying to get at here. This is why I used mounts as an example, since it was a prior Stretch Goal as well as something planned for Episode 2. Please try to focus on whether Stretch Goals for in-game features is a viable idea, as opposed to actual suggestions for in-game features.

Vrunk Hrrk, Nog, Woodchuck and 2 others like this.
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Sure new in game features would be cool however the purpose of the schwag is to cover the running costs of the current development for a small return on investment. It doesn't cost 10k for an emote or 80k for a new set of armour, obviously a portion goes into them but a substantial about goes towards other development.

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's just speculation on my end but it sounds like this is the direction they are going, based on some of what they have said/done recently.

4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If it draws in new people, and is covered by the folks that back the game, I can not see how it could be a bad thing. Hard to know if either of those two things would actually happen, though.

I would probably spend a little here and there to back specific features, that's for sure.

5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is a great idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.