Coup de Grace and Blade Specialization

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Traveller13, Nov 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I've moved back to blades after a few years with bludgeon and polearms. I bumped almost all skills from level 100 to level 140 or 160. I leveled Blades Specialization to 100, exchanging it with Polearm Specialization.

Reading the tool-tip for Coup de Grace showed 20% HP as the trigger point for coup de grace effect at level 140 and Blade Specialization at 100. It also states that increasing Blade Specialization will increase that value. So, I ran Blade Specialization up to 120. The tool-tip still shows 20%.

So, what's up? Was Coup de Grace balanced to a max 20% HP trigger point? Is the UI for the tool-tip broken? Me being a problem child again?

[​IMG]

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It sounds like the tool tip isn’t displaying correctly?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the white text description is not dynamic. it will never reflect spec bonus.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Aw man, I liked Option #3! ;) "Me being a problem child again?"

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

hey, everyone needs a hobby!

...but seriously, why the bonus percentage for spec isn't displayed in the white text is simple and not a bug, but why it's not displayed below in green with the rest of the dynamic stats is a valid question. some spec bonuses do show and some don't, and i don't know whether the things that don't show are problematic to display or it just hasn't been gotten to yet.

maybe @DavidDC can look at adding the coup de grace one for now?

FrostII likes this.
  6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Today in stream, Chris gave the equation that is used to calculate coup de grace damage:

(MeleeDamage+((MeleeDamageVariable(4))*((Target.CurrentHealth/(Target.Health+0.001)<(0.2*(1+(bladesMastery/2))))))*CoupDeGracePower)

I think the blue part of the equation determines the % health of the enemy that is required to obtain the 5x damage bonus for coup de grace.
    At blade specialization level 120 (which is 150% blades mastery), then the bladesMastery variable will = 1.5
    So, (0.2*(1+(1.5/2))) = 0.35.
    Which means that the coup 5x damage would occur when the target had less than 35% of its maximum hit points.

Using the equation, I made a table that shows the coup de grace buff with various specialization levels:

Blade spec level | Blade mastery | % of target's max HP to get 5x damage
    .............0............................0..............................20.0%
    ..........80.........................100..............................30.0%
    .........100.........................125..............................32.5%
    .........120........................150..............................35.0%
    .........140.........................175..............................37.5%
    .........160........................200.............................40.0%
    .........180........................225..............................42.5%

Essentially, for every 20 levels that blade spec increases, the % of the target's max HP increases by 2.5%.

I am not absolutely sure this is correct, but my testing supports the above calculations.
    There is not much benefit to raising blade specialization above level 100 just to get a small increase in the % shown above.
    I raised my blade spec higher mainly to get a greater healing debuff with rend, which greatly reduces a target's ability to regenerate HP (I use rend a lot).
    With a high blade spec and multiple stacks of rend on a target, not only can you do a lot of damage over time, but you can effectively eliminate the HP regeneration of most creatures (which results in faster kills).

I agree with the above posts...it would be great if the tool-tip for a given skill showed a dynamically updated stat that reflected the specialization effect.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Anpu likes this.
  7. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Well, I got the answers I was looking for and then some. Rinaldi with the math and Alley Oop with the UI bit. Maybe it will be changed. It might cause confusion unless everyone knows to go with the green and the red. Unless the white is made very generic with no numbers. I don't know, Duke Gréagóir, it looks like it was me being a problem child after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.