Courage Club question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do the enemy levels in the Courage Club scale with your level?

[edit] Also, what happens if you die? Are you branded a "coward"?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

How about “Honored Dead”?

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

He's only supposed to brand you as a 'coward' if you leave without killing all 5 mobs. If you die, go back in and finish the fights, all is good. The referee still like you and gives you the reward.

As for adjusting mobs to your levels, I'm not sure. I can only say that at L80 I got 2 green mobs, 2 yellow mobs, and an orange/red one at the end.

Numa likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@jiirc is correct on everything he said.

If you die, there are a bunch of ankh's down there. Pick one, and you will rez up top. That gives you a chance to rebuff and go back down to try again.

At level 85, the first two were green, second two were yellow, 5th was orange to me.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same. I was just wondering if you had to be level 75-80 to even think about doing it and what would happen if you were not able to finish because you're too low-level.

6. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I saw in the list that one is in Central Brit.....but where are the others.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Where is the one in central brit?

8. Belladonna Rose

No clue. And its so laggy there its hard to run about looking for it. I hate going there for the most part.

9. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Reward? Maybe that is new. I just leave when done, the ref never said anything new to me.

10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

How to find out more about courage club
    Talking to a guard gets you information about the courage club, including hints of it location. I did it quickly on QA but I believe you need the key to get in.

Where it's located
    You get the key when you talk to the guard. Ask him about courage club. I believe any guard will tell you about it.

The location of the club is down by th docks. There's a guard house sort of off from the market area. There's a basement hatch that takes you down there.

Numa and Barugon like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

The is another inAerie, or so I understand. This was mentioned in last months instructions but I never visited it. Provided I'm remembering correctly were they said it was.

Armitage_ likes this.
  12. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Aerie club is on the right side of the guardhouse, look for a hatch.

Use Courage and key keywords to get a key from a guard.

Banner of Valor should work with the referee.

Numa likes this.
  13. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

These responses aren't exactly spoilers, but I'll wrap them in the spoiler tag just in case.
    The enemy levels do not scale with your level. They are always the same (Tier 1, Tier 3, Tier 5, Tier 8, Tier 10).

The type of enemy is randomized, so for example stage 3 might have a brawler one time and an archer another time.

Also, here are some more bits about Courage Club...

Cities with a Courage Club arena:
    Central Brittany, Resolute, and Aerie have Courage Club entrances. In all cases, their hatches are next to the guard barracks building.

How to Get Into a Courage Club Arena:
    Practice! Also...
    If you find a hatch, you can enter the entryway of Courage Club, although you'll need a key to participate. If you need a key, ask around the city and see if any NPC knows what you're talking about.

How to get a Banner of Valor:

After you defeat the final challenger in Courage Club, talk to the referee. You might need to mention "banner of valor" to the referee just to be clear about why you're talking to him or her.

Future Fun with Courage Club enemies:

For Release 47, I'm adding more variation for the final stage. It will still be only one Tier 10 enemy, but it will be one of six possible enemies (currently only one of three). Also, they'll unique over-the-top names as befitting "professional" Courage Club challengers!

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

15. Belladonna Rose

I assume these are single player instances. No groups or partners. Was confused as the scene indicator says Solo/Party. Its been fun so far been to two and have yet to defeat that tier 10 challenger. But still trying to find a strategy for it. LOL

16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You can fight as a party. We did the one in Brit. Talk to the guards in town to find it.

Numa, Elwyn and Barugon like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Use the pillars to your advantage.

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

*Sigh* Every time I start to think that maybe the game's on the level and starts to be interesting, I soon find myself in one of the most frustrating gaming experiences... each time getting progressively more and more unbearable.

I normally overcome the obstacles by grinding my way and brute-forcing it (such a "nice" feeling to have when you play what is supposed to be an in-depth and thought-provoking "RPG" /sarcasm) and, once I'm clear, I go "maybe this ain't so bad, after all".... and then the cycle repeats.

... and it always happens AFTER the fact that I spent some cash to continue to fund the game.

I'm ad-lvl 58 and it's (now obviously) impossible to beat.

[​IMG]
    This is as far as I was able to make it. Drinking tons of potions, tripping and applying poisons.

[​IMG]
    ... and now I'm essentially stuck here because the referee confuses "courage" with "prowess".

So here's what "happens": you progressively lose more and more XP (and resources, like potions and poisons) as you desperately attempt to do everything in your power to avoid the "coward" branding.

Being blocked like this when the game clearly states that it's going to permanently brand you as a coward isn't my idea of fun. Giving up isn't cowardice.

You know some games like to mess with the players by tricking them into believing that their saved file if deleted? Yeah, those only make the players panic for a few seconds at most.

SotA's gonna get DESTROYED by the general public if they don't change some things.

This is in Aerie, the city of "Truth"... or what I think is more appropriate to call the city of "Omission". One would think THAT little factoid would be a crucial thing for the referee to point out or is this supposed to be some sick joke from the devs?

What in the bloody hells is a Tier 8 and a Tier 10? My dude can barely get around tier 4.

I'm literally stuck here wondering what I should be doing to get back to playing the game:
    • If I log out, does it count as a failure? The key broke, so will it trigger the check on my way out or does it only trigger when in the copy of the instance where the gate is unlocked?
    • If I log out and load back in from Novia, does it bypass the check? If it does, does it still trigger whenever I decide to come back in?
    • Does it overrides the "cowardice" if I come back and defeat them? Do I have the ability to come back at all?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Bink likes this.
  19. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Gix ,I'm sorry Courage Club is stressing you out so much. I'll explain some extra bits about it and hopefully you can find a better way for it to fit into your playtime.

Before I explain those things, let me say--and stress--that Courage Club is a side-activity. It does have a single quest all it's own (the NPC that gives you a key for the first time tells you to talk to a Courage Club referee), but it's not connected to the bigger stories we're telling in SotA. No one has to jump into the Courage Club arena. But if you do jump in, know that the primary purpose of Courage Club is to allow you to test yourself against a few waves of tougher and tougher enemies. It's almost like a simplified version of the "Chillblain's Compendium and Pain and Suffering" dungeon. Not participating, or failing to defeat all enemies, will not block any content anywhere in the game.

Some of the benefits of Courage Club are pretty standard: a basic quest turn-in, loot from defeated enemies, a special reward (Banner of Valor) when you finally defeat that top-tier enemy. There are some things happening behind the scenes that I won't explain, at least not in full detail (so people can't exploit them), but I'll respond to some of your concerns below.

You can die while fighting in Courage Club challengers, but you can't "fail" Courage Club in the sense that you can always return there and start fighting again. If you don't have a Courage Club key, you can always get a replacement (e.g. from the character you got your previous Courage Club Key from). You can get details like these by talking to the characters that give out keys and the referees inside the clubs.

The clubs and their keys are universal and interchangeable. For example, if you get a Courage Club Key in Resolute, you can enter Courage Club in Central Brittany and use the key there.

If you enter Courage Club, break your key while unlocking the gate, then log out (or crash, or exit Courage Club), the gate won't be open when you return. You'll need to get a new key if you want to enter a Courage Club arena. There is no penalty for leaving the scene other than the time it takes to get a replacement key.

Hm, this is a tricky one to answer, because I don't want to share anything that could be exploitable. I'll say that you don't have to come back at all. You don't even have to jump into an arena in the first place, as I mention above. I know some people are worried about being "branded" a coward by bailing out on a Courage Club fight, so I'll add the following:

The "cowardice" gimmick in Courage Club is not relevant while you are still on the referee platform; it's only relevant after you jump into any Courage Club arena. Also, it quickly becomes less and less relevant as you defeat any Courage Club challenger. Finally, each time you show the people behind Courage Club that you've got the grit to get a new key and try again, the temporary "cowardice" gimmick is reset.

I hope that helps.

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Sannio Your reply was much needed and is appreciated.

I don't think the issue was ever to be branded a coward for running away from a fight, but being branded a coward for throwing down the towel when you're clearly out-matched. Because, then, the choice that the player believes to have is to either live with the brand and continue to play the game or stay in limbo inside the club and not being able to accomplish anything at all. The player doesn't know.

So the problem is being caught in a trap that didn't exist in the first place. I know @Lord British loves to make players think about these sort of things even when the game may or may not test it but, here, there's no moral dilemma in place. No one's asking if it's the right thing to do but, instead, they ask how to get out of this imaginary dead end.

I use the word "imaginary" but this isn't something the player conjures up in their minds, it's something you guys (hopefully unwillingly) planted. Essentially, the word "permanent" that the referee (or was it the guards?) uses to describe the "rules" of the game is throwing me off completely as it sounds like it's something I'll never be able to change. You're warning me of something that is less severe than you make it sound. Maybe rewording it or better explain what constitutes as "running away" would help.

Heck, this might be a case where you might be better off not saying anything and let the player be oblivious to it.

I think it'd be a lot more clear if, upon death, players would be thrown out of the instance and spawn at a town's ankh. "Come back again when you have a new key" instead of making them wonder if they'll take a courage hit for walking out the door.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.