Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cover, line of sight and "dodging" is a bit garbage

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Burzmali, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

First a disclaimer, last time I played a release, before r41, long enough to form any sort of opinion was r34 or so. So any sort of Cover mechanic is a welcomed addition and is responsible for the inclusion of "a bit" in the title.

So my primary mode of combat is archery and has been since the last wipe. I also focus on DPS over survivability, making me a bit of a glass cannon. As such, I've been paying attention to cover and line of sight and there are still some pretty big flaws.
    1. Hills provide cover when they don't appear that they should. Standing on the top of a hill and firing down almost always triggers cover despite that the entire target is visible from the hilltop.
    2. Waist-high fences break line of sight. I noticed this specifically in the Sequanna Colossus scene where my reticule wouldn't turn red until I moved out from behind a fence despite being relatively close to the target.
    3. Breaking pathing still results in perma-dodge even against ranged enemies. I climbed up a house and trying shooting a Lich mage, nothing but Cover Dodges despite a clean line of sight.
    4. Trees break LOS on moving targets. If an enemy is running behind some trees when I fire an arrow, if they are behind tree at the moment the arrow reaches them, the get Cover, perfect, however if they are behind the tree at the moment the arrow is fired they breal LOS and the arrow spirals off to nowhere (though it will often make a U turn if I reacquire the target in time).

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The cover needs a LOT of work for archers.
    Ive actually masterd shooting n walken behind a pebble as the fireball is anout to hit me from a mob.. lol..
    Its all over the place.. sometimes its sooo over the top.. othertimes it doesnt make sense.

I like the idea.. but it needs love.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  3. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

As an archer I really like the concept of cover but it does need some work. I've seen cases where I'm behind cover shooting at a target in an open field and they appear to get the benefit of my cover as well. Something isn't quite right about that. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.