CPU and Phys Mem Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Time Lord, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Today I have been monitoring my computer's CPU and Physical memory usage to see if I'm needing to upgrade or buy a new comp for a better future game play.

Currently I have an MSI CR650;

CPU: AMD Dual-Core Processor E2-1800
    VGA: AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics
    LED Panel: 15.6" HD 1366x768 (Glare Type)
    Ram: DDRIII 4GB
    HDD: 500GB
    RF: 802. 11b/g/n

My CPU Usage runs between 89-100%
    and my Physical Memory Usage runs between 73-77%

I would like to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts on what they have and their performance and usage levels, as well as find out what everyone thinks will make good/moderate/great levels of computers that will best play our game.

Soooo, Whatcha' Tink?
    ~Time Lord~

Father Guido Sarducci and Jambo like this.
  2. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Where's Mishri when you need him!

Is that a laptop timelord?
    My guess looking at your specs is that it is time for an upgrade. How old is that computer?

I get great performance in SotA using one monitor at 2560x1440 and reasonable performance at 8080x1440 with three monitors and everything on the highest settings.

I have only started playing games again recently after a long hiatus and now im playing:

Skyrim
    Civilization 5
    Assassins Creed:Brotherhood
    Assassins Creed:Liberation
    Assassins Creed:Black Flag
    Supreme Commander
    Mass Effect 2

And a couple of others all on full graphics settings using one monitor at 2560x1440.

I'm able to load all DLC and high res packs and not get close to limits usually all at a constant 60 fps or there abouts.

Im confident you don't need the same system as me to achieve the above results.

My hardware:

Intel Core i7 4770K LGA1150 3.5Ghz
    Gigabyte G1-Sniper-5 Motherboard
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Edition
    G.Skills 16GB 1600Mhz 9-9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
    Corsair CMPSU-850TXM 850W Modular PSU
    Corsair 900D Super Tower PC Case with Side Window
    2 x Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition Twin Pack
    3 x Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition
    Logitech Z623 Speakers 2.1 THX Certified
    Logitech Mouse
    SteelSeries 64225 6G V2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Samsung SSD 250GB 840 EVO
    Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Te'hen~ojama~itashima~shita, Sakuraba~san,

I'm very honored to have you first reply. And yes, for the time being the Time Lord is bound by the limits of Lap~Top technology here in Thailand. Or at least until the Thai political revolution calms down enough to where the Thai's stop throwing grenades at each other. Then I'll be able to get back to Bangkok and back to the research I need to do. "Thank God everyone here in Thailand loves His Majesty the King" or this place would be in real trouble.

I'm looking to buy a desk top once I get back to Bangkok and even though my work involves Anti~De'Sitter Space Time, the Time Lord isn't that tech savvy in the ways of computers. Most of my research just involves recording GPS dots in a very simple computer program and watching pigeons fly over my head.... oh and I forgot to mention the very glamorous technical job of scraping up what they leave behind in their loft... yuk:confused:

I know as our game grows in patches and modifications, I'd better get busy looking into what I need to stay competitive. I see you have some what may be best described as a wet dream list with your hardware, which I find very fitting given the name "Sakuraba"... he rocks.!. I had the chance to see him performance fight once and I know I sure wouldn't want to step into any ring with him.

I am thinking that there are many more of me out there that may be looking to keep, upgrade or buy a new computer so I figured I'd pose this tech question so others may be able to chime in on the thread as you have.

*my eyes are still popping from that hardware you have there* "so fitting the name"

With All Respect~

~TL~

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep, your laptop is considered a budget laptop. It's very difficult to get performance out of a laptop due to power usage and thermal (heat dissipation) issues.

The Graphics card in there isn't very good for gaming, the laptop isn't really designed for it.

So yes, once you can get a desktop that will probably be a much better gaming experience. I don't know what you would have available over there. I'd imagine prices are much lower in Bangkok than here so even if you gave me a budget I wouldn't know what to recommend.

I can probably list some good performance GPUs you should keep your eye out for when you look around if you'd like, I can put them in order of best to worst and then you can get the best your budget can afford as that will have the biggest impact on your gaming.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

To add to this the dev's said earlier that the game wasn't optimized yet either.

Mishri likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thank You so much Mishri,

Budget Lap Top is a very good description. I bought this lap top new when I first arrived here at the low price of (aprox) $500 USD. You are also very correct about the market prices here being very cheap'!
    So I guess some good descriptions of Low/Med/High could look like this;

Low = $500
    Med = $1000
    High = ?

I think I'll will be looking to spend between $1000 - $1500 USD when I get to Bangkok. (things here are so darned cheap it's hard to estimate, but also difficult to describe unless you know "Thai... or Tech")

Any ideas or suggestions are well appreciated.
    ~TL~

7. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Do you have any idea how to build your own system? $1000 would buy you a very capable rig if you had the know how.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Lady Gracekain, thanks for replying,

The short answer is "No":(
    Most of Time Lord's time is spent watching the birds in the trees and figuring out what motivates them for heading home or heading for a new home.

"But", if I give specs to any Tech Thai, then that tech talk seems to cause them to move around allot to find what I'm looking for.
    "Tech talk and specs are the new international language" and goes beyond English or any other form of communication for getting anything you want as long as you can Tech describe what you're looking for. I find this to be a very fast moving global phenomena, yet expected, as games and gaming are always something that every culture has in common:)

~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.