Crafted vs Special weapons in PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by motiv, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motiv

motiv Avatar

one of the dire consequences of quest items in UO, was the power these weapons had in PvP. It became a point where you had to do the god damn awful quests, to be on a level playing field when it came to PvP (either that or buy gold and buy the item in real life!).

I can see that quested items give people a great opportunity to find new shiny things. People love this, hell I don't like questing in any game but a new shiny thing, and I'm all jumping around like a small child.

How can this be fixed? Still allow people to quest for shiney new powerful weapons but still make sure that PvP and crafting plays a full and even role in the world.

Well I would propose that weapons found in questing, have two sets of stats. 1 for PvE and the other for PvP. The PvE stats could be as amazing and colourful as the game desired, while the PvP stats could be slightly better than a crafted item.

This will mean crafters can craft items that are very good (although hopefully take time, resources, skill and luck), while still being relevant in PvP. It stops the two tier PvP that UO ended up with, and means crafters, blacksmiths and their ilk, have a large and relevant role in the game.

2. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

I hope they avoid PvE gear and PvP gear. The idea of having to have 2 suits of gear in other games really turned me off especially in a game like this where I would say PvP and PvE are more hand in hand.

Quest rewards should be interesting items and not overpowering. If it was me I would only add items that could not be crafted such as unique looking clothing, or weapon and armor visual upgrades, dyes. If they want to put in pure weapons or armor maybe they could have a special feature that could be used in a particular build but not be overpowering in its other abilities. Like maybe a sword that produces light, or armor that makes you resistant to one element but weak to another.

Approach it in a way where quests items are neither garbage or overpowering but unique.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

1) If you have FFA, open world PvP, either because you went to a special area or flagged for it or whatever, bring what you want, but it all drops on death. It destroys everything if you can go with really good gear and take no risk.

2) If you have some kind of instanced / battle ground like PvP with fixed sides and rules, nothing you bring should have any advantage and nothing drops. It ruins balance if the best get better.

3) If you have some kind of castle siege where a server / faction / guild fights against others for control...while I like the idea of full loot, I'd hate to discourage participation. Sieges in lineage got a whole lot more active when they dropped the xp on death penalty.

4. antalicus

antalicus Avatar

<blockquote>1) If you have FFA, open world PvP, either because you went to a special area or flagged for it or whatever, bring what you want, but it all drops on death. It destroys everything if you can go with really good gear and take no risk.

2) If you have some kind of instanced / battle ground like PvP with fixed sides and rules, nothing you bring should have any advantage and nothing drops. It ruins balance if the best get better.

3) If you have some kind of castle siege where a server / faction / guild fights against others for control?while I like the idea of full loot, I?d hate to discourage participation. Sieges in lineage got a whole lot more active when they dropped the xp on death penalty.</blockquote>

I think you have a fair point on these. What would be the point of dropping gear in an instance that you probably set up with your friends anyways. For the large castle sieges/control points I can see loot bringing in the wrong type of players. Ideally you want one side fighting the other-side rather than 2 sides fighting and a 3rd party duck dodging and looting corpses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.