Crafting Customization

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by plard56, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plard56

plard56 Avatar

I have had an idea for a while I wanted to share that would allow customization on how items look in the game when crafted and give more options to create something different. I will use a woodworkers chair for example.

So during the process of the making the chair you could choose between styles not just for the chair itself but for it components and details. So I could put some curved ornate legs on a oval shaped seat with gold trim and a high back with a red plaid designed cushion. I realize this would be a funny looking chair but it shows how you could make items unique to your style.

In order to implement this in an efficient manner you could have universal fittings on the snap points like where the legs attack to the seat and so on. You would have a set of textures to choose from for wood and fabric and a color slider. This would create a lot of instances but perhaps it could be done by just calling the variables set for this object instance to be constructed as it is rendered to the player.

This could also be done for weapons and armor as well to create some cool looking items. The blade would have an effect on the damage and other attachments could affect other mechanics of the weapon. This would not only allow for a variety of weapon designs but it would create weapons with different damage, speed ect.

Finally the skill could contribute to the different options the creator has for customization. Also perhaps a way to implement a custom branding logo or something could be attached at higher skill levels.

2. Haarp

Haarp Avatar

Hi, would be awesome if i as a blacksmith or a arquitect or anything can make my own style of items and also make requests from players who cant do that.

Great idea.

3. monxter

monxter Avatar

Often crafters of different regions specialize in certain styles... Basically it would be interesting to be able to specialize in a style which would then differ from the other styles / variations, whatever the product may be.

Different cultures have different styles of weapons, armor, furniture and art - I'd like the idea of being able to become a master of a specific style, getting some advantages in these specializations perhaps.

4. plard56

plard56 Avatar

I like the idea of style specialization to fit the region. That's a good idea monexteri.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I recently posted an idea in the crafting brainstorm thread to incorporate morphing into craft items. The idea being you would select a base component item.. like a certain blade type and be able to adjust its overal length, width and some shape parameters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.