Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting feedback

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Isaiah, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This isn't a thread about coins and max durability.... I haven't really crafted early on because it took too much work to gather resources. However now I'm enjoying crafting (and I've never been a crafting type). Resource gathering seems much better now. The ammounts of materials help. I'm sure that might change as players start competing for resource nodes after launch or whatever.

To create the finished product is quite an accomplishment. However the progression is good too. I can craft an epic cloth suit, and then go back and gather more and make it with better materials and eventually enhance it more etc.

Now i'm wondering what to do. lol I might need to use a second account to have a crafter as well because I know I'm going to love the fishing too much not to use my main character for it. I am definately going to need more than one account because I'm enjoying this. Not to just craft my own stuff but to sell stuff too. I like the skill progression and intricacies. As far as I'm concerned well done. I don't know how far my feedback goes since I really never liked crafting in other games much so here it is anyway. I couldn't find a suitable thread so I figured I'd put it here.

OH this goes for resource gathering and crafting the finished product.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I Agree, Thus Far Very Impressed!~
    I await the fishing with baited hooks, because Portalarium hasn't discussed fishing very much at all with we players, yet there's been some threads I hope they read before creating it. Unlike combat skills, Poralarium has been extremely closed off from the public about what will come of SOTA fishing.
    [​IMG]
    I've got my fingers crossed that they'll knock our socks off, or give us some further fishing game mechanics to help us ponder on and possibly add some submitted reflections.
    I've got high hopes by seeing the great detail they've placed into everything SOTA!
    ~Time Lord~:D

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I miss the clank sound of my pickaxe though. Was that driving some people crazy or something? Or is the sound still there and I just am bugged?

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~I Really Couldn't Tell You~:D
    I actually play with the sound all the way off, because I like playing SOTA with Ultima Online Music allot better (shh;))
    I'm still suffering from Ultima Online withdraw symptoms :(
    ~Time Lord~:p

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Leelu, Steve D. and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

In theory you shouldn't need an alt account, or alt character. Over time you can get your skills reasonably high.

I think you would only need an alt char for more crafting if you were going to try and push your skills past 150 or so.
    at that point the decay might eat up your xp real bad. I don't know I haven't gotten there yet.

Also, once you start locking gathering skills they become excellent producer pool filling skills.
    A day of gathering with locked skills, will put several hundred thousand producer xp into your pool for your actual crafting skills, which will help propel them deeper into the trees.

Fishing however is a big pool drainer until you lock it because even a successful catch is still xp negative by the time you get the skill to 30.

For gathering skills that it's easy to get more nodes, like Mining and skinning.
    I focus on Swift and Skill, until I get my skill to 60 -80 range then I lock skill and focus on swiftness to 100, then I lock it too.
    At that point I allow meticulous collection to start raising. If I do it before, it slows down the xp train. If I wait till after, then it starts giving me extra ore/hides, when I don't care if the xp is slowed down a bit in exchange for more goodies.

For gathering skills that is is not easy to find more nodes quickly, (foraging, and forestry).
    I'll take my skills to 50, then turn meticulous on, because I want to make the most of the nodes I do find.

For crafting skills it's just a matter of getting things to a level that is comfortable to you.
    E.g. smelting and butchering you may not care if you fail regularly, as long as you can have a great chance to succeed in blacksmithing, cooking.

It's all about prioritzing which skills are allowed access to drain the pool first, and which skills you don't care if you fail as long as you suceed eventually.

Having said that, it is still perfectly valid, to just leave everything turned up, and stuff you use more will go up more.
    It will take longer to finish any particular skill, but the crafter will be more well rounded throughout their career.

6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'm loving the enchantment and engraving however I'm hoping that salvage gets iterated on soon so failures aren't so painful.

I killed my Epic Bronze chest and leggings going for +7 at 56% and got 10 metal scraps... I did manage to get the sword to +7 although it's now as durable as paper.

Leelu, Steve D., Bluefire and 2 others like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Wow thanks. This is good to know. I sort of realized that about fishing but didn'tthink about the maticulous being last for quicker gains. I'm going to save your post for when I do this again after final wipe. I'm glad to hear we can do this all with one character, even though I plan to probably focus on Fishing and hopefully two maybe three production skills if that is possible. Although I would probably be fine if I focused on Fishing and cooking perhaps. Although I'm enjoying making cloth stuff and making wands too. Although focusing on Fishing and carpentry might not be bad too so I can make better polls, wands, staves, and sell the meat for other chefs, along with some extra staves polls and wands.

Then again socketing and enchanting isgreat to have too. I'm guessing the people who get a skill to 150 really want to make a name for themselves in a particular skill because the success rate will result in a high volume of great stuff. Personally I want to play with one character as much as possible. I probably don't need to become a supreme master 150 type guy.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  8. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Like I said, if your just looking to do some stuff, and you dont mind progress being a bit slower than optimal, you can branch out fairly wide and still have enough points eventually to do what you want.
    It's people that are going for maximum crit chance, absolutely fastest gathering times, and absolute best chance possible to double and triple enchant that will need to be very picky about what skills they do and don't take.

Steve D., Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

really cool.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Just crafted an epic cloth chest piece with carpacian cloth. I hope this will be tweaked. This takes way too many resources "and time" to make just for an additional 2% spell crit.

Currently takes 4 times the cotton cloth for exactly the same chest piece with only 2%crit. The conversion from cloth to carp should be one for one with the use of a beetle thingy. The beetle is rare enough but not overly taxing to just get a small crit bonus.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there something else special about this item?

Time Lord, Bluefire and Sara Dreygon like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Steve D. and Time Lord like this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Lets just say I was disappointed with the return on this item. I used that chart to see what materials give what bonus, but I was hoping it was inaccurate.

This is just honest feedback. I saw that link and I was shocked to see how much effort it took to squeak out that kittle bonus. For that much effort there should be a 10% crit. A full suit ought to raise our crit by about 40% (which nakes me question my PvP flag because if I'm not getting about a 40% bonus for that then why even take the risk to lose such a time investment if it isn't helping me win much more but has a higher chance to cost me more if I do not win). Either that or keep it as it is and let it be as I said above using one cotton thread per carp instead of that 4 to one conversion.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Time Lord, Snikorts and Bluefire like this.
  13. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

It is on the "list", crafting recipes / drop rates are supposed to be rebalanced. Originally they were slated before R32, however the max durability bugs, the linux bugs, and crash to desktop bugs have postponed those plans. (again)
    On the Metal side, Metal Scraps help out a ton because they reduce the non-rare ore requirements in half. e.g. <special alloy> Epic plate is 478 (Copper or Iron) ore, but with scraps it's 239 ore and 1434 metal scraps which is a whole lot easier to come up with than an extra 239 copper ore.

Steve D. and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.