Crafting. I'm a little concerned

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Alex_Wildeagle, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

So, I got to listen to the dev chat and I have to say I'm a little concerned by Chris's comments and how it relates to PVP.

I love crafting but I don't do it to make mass amounts of gear to sell cheap to people who lost it in full looting. I would like crafting to actually mean something not some useless grinding to make gear "people don't mind losing".

My apologies if I misunderstood, that's just how I interpret it.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

From what I understand they don't want that either. They said ages ago that they don't want you making 500 basic swords, they want you to risk improving these until you might end up with 1 brilliant sword and 499 broken swords.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I think they're a long long way from any kind of looting decisions. Even if a small % of players chooses to play this way, I suspect this will only be offered as an option to those people.

I do generally believe that higher quality armor should have little to no statistical benefit. I would prefer that combat never come down to a gear gap. The exception to this might be that you don't have a bow and you're fighting an opponent where range might be a huge advantage (or similar tactical choice).

4. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

Ages ago? LOL really?

oh, I understand they are just kicking around the looting decision. It's just the way he was talking about it was very alarming in how he was like you'd be able to just replace what you lost....like it didn't really matter.

And when they were speaking of the "they don't want us to have to make 500 basic swords" that was in reference to leveling up your craft. Not making enough stuff so PVP folks could replace what the lost cheaply.

5. Stranger

Stranger Avatar

From my understanding, you should still be able to craft valuable items but they don't want to make it an item that would cause you to quit the game if you lose it. If you are familiar with Ultima Online, occasionally people would pull out their best gear (vanquishing weapons and invulnerability armor) which was typically when you were with a group of friends so that 1) there is less chance of you dieing and 2) if you did die there is less chance of someone taking it off your corpse but instead you would be resurrected so that you can loot you own corpse. Of course you did not want to lose that gear but if you did then it wouldn't take your life savings to replace, however, it would be costly.

I would think that you could craft the standard gear and sell that at cheap for the 'poor' but use your rare materials and such to make high end weapons/armor that sells for more

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

What I took it to mean was that you will be able to get back out and kill stuff with a basic set of armor and a weapon (leather or plate or whatever else they come up with). You wont be unable to compete anymore or kill monsters just because you lost all of your equipment.

I'm sure there will still be crafted items that are expensive, and really good, but you wont need those to continue adventuring.

Marvin likes this.
  7. Alex_Wildeagle

Alex_Wildeagle Avatar

But if you're PVPing your not going to want to run out there in just any gear. PVPing is usually pretty competitive especially with the min/max set.
    Otherwise you'll have folks running the quest example they gave before in the nude cause they don't want to lose anything. Sure, you'll die but eventually that person will get tired of killing you and not getting anything from you.

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

from the description of combat and pvp min/maxing isn't going to be what this game is all about, strategy and tactics might play a bigger role.

and in UO you didn't have to wear your min/max set in order to kill people even other pvpers. I'm assuming this game will be the same.

most of the time I pvp'd in UO i'd just wear a basic robe and carry around 30 of each reagent. might carry a deadly poisoned dagger or something like that as well... nothing expensive/rare. If i was being more serious about it i'd also have some potions and trapped chests.

Marvin likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sir Asguard is correct. You will be able to make 500 crappy swords if you want but you would be doing it wrong if you did. :) Most crafted items will allow for multiple attempts at refining the object. Each success improves the object and makes the next attempt at refining more challenging. Our expectation is that players will not end up with 500 crappy swords but rather repeated work to refine a few swords until they either fail (and possibly break them) or get to something that is desirable.

This not only gives you the excitement of a gambling element while crafting, additional skill improvement opportunities but also removes a large amount of the low quality loot from the world. Also is the type mechanic where a truly lucky or persistent player could create a truly epic and valuable item.

This mechanic works for both the single player offline game and the online game. For the online game it is even a more exciting element because it will carry your maker's mark on it so everyone will know who made it.

As for PVP, we've been pretty consistent in saying that only those that choose to participate will be involved but that we are will attempt to allow players to choose to only see other PVP players so it feels like the game is a pure PVP game. The looting rules are the thing we probably won't make a call on until we've let players try out multiple variations. The final rule could be something in between full loot and no loot or might involve letting players set some items as protected so they can't be looted.

Chris

derek6665 likes this.
  10. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Chris : I just have one question for you KEYMASTER !, will you go full PvP? :)

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the idea that items will be useful but won't ruin you if you lose them. For example if you lost all your items in world of warcraft your character is ruined, and it will take you months to get that equipment back, and it is vital to your stats.

Non of that crud will be in this game THANK GOD!!! It's a breath of fresh air to me. Also Just because a guy loses his items doesn't mean they are useless to him it just means they need to go back to buy some more. Usually the looter doesn't go back and sell the gathered items. They hoard them or reforge them to make other items. So let your fears subside because this will make the game better. The last thing we want is items that you can't live without. I'd rather my character's power be based upon his skills first, then choice of weapon second. Also having craft-able items being almost as powerful or in some cases just as powerful as magic items is a great thing too!

Just think of the options a crafter will have. Mixing and matching hilts, blades, gewls, runes... you will be able to make a unique item. I BELIEVE THAT WILL BE WHAT MAKES THE ITEM MORE VALUABLE IF IT IS GM MADE AND LOOKS CUSTOM OR JUST AWESOME.

12. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

I think losing an awesome item should hurt a bit, but not be devastating. And I also think there shouldn't be many awesome items that are better than what can be crafted by high level crafters.

UO, WoW and other games went downhill when they put a priority on gear that could only be "won" by beating boss/peerless level mobs, and the best crafted gear was a joke compared to it.

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This is wonderful news. No gankfests for me! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.