Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting recipes

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by Rose2, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose2

Rose2 Avatar

Thank you for including some very basic recipes for some of the crafting types. I would request that you include some for each type of crafting.

Discovering them is fun but I feel like perhaps you are thinking too many of the players actually know something about how to make things in real life. I can't be the only person who is finding it difficult to uncover the recipes. Also, perhaps even some of the basic recipes for one craft require something made by a different craft, and how are we to know that? I feel like it's really too confusing.

Maybe we could buy crafting books with instructions from vendors? That would be a cool thing!

I do think that the change to "add items to the craft bench" with the recipe book is GREAT! and also being able to remove everything at once is so nice.

Finally, is there any way to make the text larger? I am finding it harder and harder to read tiny print as I keep getting older.... I think there are a lot of more "mature" players here, and perhaps I am not alone in the dislike of small print.

Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Rose2

Rose2 Avatar

Or what if there were crafting quests from those knowledgable vendors.... They could even insult you if you have to keep coming back to ask for more recipes hints, but they would give you hints, for money....

Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  3. Stoofa

Stoofa Avatar

How do you actually discover new recipes?
    Made myself the basic items, but didn't know where to start re. new ones.

4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I am wondering where do you get this recipe book? I heard we are supposed to have been given some basic recipes but I see no book.

5. Rose2

Rose2 Avatar

Stoofa, to try to discover new ones, you have to try different combinations of the craft ingredients to see if they can make something.
    Such as, on the loom, after you make thread, you can put 2 or 3 threads on the loom with the loom tool and make a bolt of cloth. That wasn't in the book, but if you "discover" it, it will then be in your book.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  6. Rose2

Rose2 Avatar

Kaisa, the recipe book shows up if you push the 'r' key while logged into the game. I don't think there is a picture/icon link to it, just the hotkey.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Oh ok thank you!

8. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

If you want to use the easy way, you can always check the wiki page (here). SotA supports this link as an official wiki. Several recipes are listed there. Also, the more you craft, the more patterns seem to come up. For example, if a cloth cap requires 2 cloth and one leather strap, a chain cap requires 2 sheets of chain and one leather strap. I stumbled onto a rug recipe and kept plugging away to end up with the recipe for "Massive Fabric" that requires 50 thread. Which is just more thread than hanging fabric, and rugs of various sizes.

Now, the sheer number of possible combinations is staggering (numbering in the trillions) as I argued in R2. However, as more items become available and patterns emerge, the whole idea of crafting becomes simpler. If we have the starting recipes, we can play with permutations, rather than random guessing. For instance, I bet the recipe for steel mace is the same as iron mace, but with steel - or valerite or whatever.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Rose2

Rose2 Avatar

Thank you so much for posting that link! I did a basic search on google for something like it but didn't try too hard.

10. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

I( agree completely with the OP on this. I made an iron sword and now I really have no idea what else I can do with blacksmithing. I posted in another thread that if you were to take on a crafting skill in real life, you don't learn it by experimenting. You learn it by being taught by someone, or at least reading a book. The need to "discover" a recipe without even a clue as to what is possible to do seems pointlessly time consuming to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.