Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

crafting

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Xi_, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i was going to make a spear, between the prices, the overland map and everywhere i have to go to just figure out how to make it I gave up, to much time, to much frustration and I don't know if its even worth making.

I had to go to soltown, adrios, owlshead, back to soltown, and now i need to go back to owlshead again and i dont even know if i can make what i want to make.

crafting sucks!

2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Why are you needing to go back and forth so much? :eek:

Moonshadow likes this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

because this games current set up is .... lacking severly

4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

What's lacking, though? I'd think you can just stay in novia for all things really?

Moonshadow likes this.
  5. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'm trying not to cheat, even though I did by looking up the pertinent recipes but I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford to buy all the recipes in game. in fact now that i think of it every crafting endevor i have ever undertook in any release has been at my expense and now i feel as though i cant even test the game properly as a result. As it is I will be left fighting with toothpicks the rest of this release. Lame.

6. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

.........I actually went and bought my way through 1 1/2 vendor crafting recipes last release - just by selling stuff I gathered and crafted:oops: (no money from the gem rush either). And ended up only at level 16.....:Dnormally stop at level 13

Maybe we could 'share' knowledge in game? That wouldn't be cheating and you'd need to buy less .

7. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

there always seems to be a gaggle of new players hanging around these crafting centers too, no one knows what there doing, everyones asking questions and half get mad and run off.

8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Hmm, better instructions need to be available, do you suppose?

Moonshadow likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

To be fair.. none of what was described here has anything to do with the crafting system itself.

As someone residing in Pax Lair for R17 I do agree though that there isn't enough in place to support crafting.

Right now I think crafting's one great flaw are the recipes themselves. They're not all that intuitive. They changed the halberd recipe for example.. to use wooden handles.. HANDLES.. instead of poles.. for a POLE arm. I never would have just randomly guessed that one. So I had to go to the only recipe merchant I know of.. in Owl's Head. Isn't one in Ardoris that I could find.

The craft merchant in Pax keeps disappearing on me so I have to go all the way across Novia to Ardoris. With a lot of recipes having changed it's been a chore.

Moonshadow likes this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

more than fair, I just think this is feed back that need

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

yeah I'm actually a bit surprised by R17 so far as it relates to crafting related stuff.. and not in a good way.

Anyone coming into the game now would have a really hard time finding recipes to buy. Craft merchants and recipe merchants should be in every major town in public areas. It's not hard to pop down an NPC.

Also it would make sense (at least right now) is other merchants also sold recipes related to their craft. A tailor should be able to sell tailoring recipes. That would be even better than recipe merchants. It would be more intuitive for all players.

While I appreciate what they're trying to do to make the crafting process more uniform... making all the changes without those recipes readily available makes testing the system that much harder. Especially when the recipe doesn't make sense.. handles! *eyeroll* Sorry whomever decided on that.. but they're called POLE arms for a reason.

I'm thinking crafting's one great tragic flaw right now is the concept of random discovery. Recipes need to be more intuitive if players are meant to rely on testing recipes. I like to think of myself as a serious (but not necessarily hardcore) crafter. I've always enjoyed crafting.. but never in a million years would I have guessed metal bindings for leather boots or "handles" for halberds.

And just for the record.. none of my original ideas/suggestions for crafting back in early '13 were meant to rely on random discovery.

4EverLost and Moonshadow like this.
  12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

Tahnk you Bowen, I am not a great crafter never have been so it's good to hear from someone who invests more time into it.

13. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

You are probably going to hate to hear this but whenever SoTA adds something new it is terribly imbalanced. So just do what you have done before and that is do it the SoTA way: Kill and Loot using what weapons you find lying around in Blacksmith Shops and Armor Shops and until you are powerful and rich enough to get what you truly deserve--a Spear of Greater Power! A standard spear will never be good enough for you. Why else would you want to grind through all this B.S. You will need to use Hard Maplewood. I don't blame you for being upset. I had look up a recipe on SoTA WIKI last week to make something and the crafting station wouldn't accept it. I had to buy the recipe for $250 in order to make it. Of course you could also let people know what you want and have them craft it for you at a cost you will be able to afford when you are wealthy and powerful in this release. You know you will be if you want to grind. It is just different this time. I know it sucks but that is what it is like to test this stuff without God Mode the Devs. have. Maybe they could remember this and show us a little TLC. If you want that awesome spear you will get it!

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.