Crowd-sourced assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by enderandrew, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

inXile has been experimenting with allowing crowd-sourced asset contributions through the Unity Store. While they pay for contributions from the community, I'm sure there are modders/artists who would contribute to the game for free as well.

I'm curious if Portalarium would be willing to experiment with such a program:

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity

2. Holt

Holt Avatar

Since the development of assets takes considerable time and is not a skill available to all, I am eager to see 3d artists team up with the builders and players on the SotA minecraft server, to help connect the good ideas and get everyone involved. It can definitely smooth the process and allow people to express ideas in a more visual/3d environment.

The store seems like a good idea, but I'm not certain it's in the spirit of this particular venture. On the other hand it would be interesting to see artists and musicians from the community somehow be rewarded for their contributions. Monetary compensation can really excite young artists (I know this first hand) and inspire them to take their art more seriously. This leads to higher production values and output.

Obviously, as a leader of a Bard-centric guild, I approve of encouraging our artistic community in any way possible.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I can't draw or model, but if I could contribute in-game fiction, or something or the like I gladly would.

Unity has an asset store that people can contribute to and make money from. Encouraging community artists to contribute assets to said store means that not only could they be used in SotA, but the artists could possible profit from other developers picking up those assets.

Or they could offer to just contribute them directly and freely to SotA.

4. The Hairy Man

The Hairy Man Avatar

Their plan is exactly to do it like Inxile did, they said about it in a kickstarter post and are going to start sourcing assets within the next week or so as they did mention it in the latest pen of the avatar chat.

i cant wait to contribute i think with passionate artist working on the project from all over the world ( me being one of them ) it will only benefit the final product.

really looking forward to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.