Currency system

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by mikeaw1101, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

This was mentioned in a thread before, but I can't remember which one and haven't heard much said about it in awhile. Are the devs pretty much going with a generic gold piece standard or will there be other values and denominations of currency (eg., copper, silver, platinum)? Multiple currency types would be more immersive, and allow for a much more robust economic system...

Time Lord and fumblefingers like this.
  2. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I hope so. And throw in dragon eggs, while you're at it.

Time Lord and Auzlander like this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Gold is good until the economy crashes and we're forced to use cats as currency. (Yes, this actually happened in Neverwinter.)

Many games use multiple currencies so that someone who get really good at farming in one area cannot easily use this to dominate in other areas.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The demons in Buffy the Vampire Slayer also used cats as currency, which I never understood.

[​IMG]

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think it's only been mentioned once? It doesn't come very often but I believe they said we will actually have gold, silver and copper. Pretty sure it was in a dev chat a few months ago. Of course, that isn't written in stone and I think we've only had gold in the tests. So *shrug*. I would personally like to see more than 1 coin.

6. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Just thinking out loud:
    Why does it have to be gold, silver, copper, etc?
    This is a new game set in a new world.
    Couldn't Portalarium come up with some new token(s) to represent monetary value?
    They could even take advantage of currency exchanges such as X number of "tokens" for $10 real dollars.
    I know that a lot of folks consider that "Pay to Win" but if it's only used for cosmetic and quality of life things it'd be ok.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. enderandrew

If you can buy in game currency with real world currency, and then use the in game currency to buy gear, then it is pay to win.

I don't mind the add on store mainly selling vanity items, pets and the like.

Time Lord, fumblefingers and rowan50k like this.
  8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I would prefer cats over gold.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have always been a huge fan of interesting currency...going way back to my dnd games...it just feels neat to count it all up.

ShrineSeeker and Time Lord like this.
  10. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Maybe they could use an older currency from earth like groats, crowns, guineas or doubloons? (I'm sure there are a ton of other options, those are just the first ones that came to mind. :) )

11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Yeah! Or they could go all out in the other direction and call them Chesters, hairballs, aero glass, etc

Time Lord likes this.
  12. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

I would suggest a kingdom based currency. Where different kingdoms have their own currency and it would require trading foreign currencies to get the currency needed fro that kingdom.
    Would add an exciting dynamic.

So you really have to use what ever money from kingdom X to buy a pig that is worth about the same amount in the kingdom you are traveling to. :) It would also encourage merchants and trader role players which would only add depth to the game.

13. enderandrew

Serpent Isle did this, and I didn't mind because there were only 3 currencies total. You also spent different phases of the game largely in the same city, so you didn't need to convert funds all the time.

My fear is that in an online game, it could hurt player to player transactions.

ShrineSeeker and Time Lord like this.
  14. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

It depends... if they are doing that stupid world-wide auction house model that WoW does... I dont see it working. But if the trading posts and buildings are local only, it could work.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. enderandrew

The pledge tiers mention NPC vendors in your house, so it looks like they are going the UO route where each vendor has their own inventory. For a player to sell something, there is no universal auction house. You give something to your NPC vendor, and other players can buy it from your vendor.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  16. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Delicious!

No seriously. It's because they were a delicacy. Delicious!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. algumacoisaqq

algumacoisaqq Avatar

I know that this is a little crazy, but how about giving the players the ability to mint their own currency? I don't think it would be that crazy to implement, and it could be really fun to have guilds running their own currency. Of course, since you are giving minting powers to players, expect a lot of financial problems, but portalarium could have a "real" currency on the server, perhaps attached to the dollar or something (if they plan to exchange game-money for real-money)

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Really? Why not roaches? Those would fit a post-apocalyptic society perfectly!

19. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I agree w/ WebTeam it would add an immersive dynamic that otherwise would not exist, SI style 3 currencies would be awesome.

I don't think it would hurt player to player transactions a bit, players are smarter than this. From my experience players focus on the most expensive form of currency in the game and go from there, base everything else on that currency. In Diablo 2 that most valuable currency were the (SoJ) Stone of Jordan rings, they were duped rings powerful but eventually players didn't use them as rings as much as they used them as a currency, "I'll trade 2 SoJs for that set of armor", all currency was based on those SoJs. Let's say the most valuable currency in SOTA are Gold Bars, if they add additional kingdom currencies in the game, copper coin, silver coin, gold coin for one kingdom.... who knows Obsidian Stone as a currency for another kingdom, perhaps Magic Guilder type currency for another kingdom. In the long run players will bypass trading using Obsidian Stones, Guilder-Type, or Gold Coin, they will trade based on Gold Bars if they are trading for an expensive item, given that Gold Bars are the most valuable currency in the game. Gold Bars being craftable of course but it's very possible they will become a popular currency, but this is just a theoretical example. I'd vote yes for at least 2 other currencies coin/paper/metal/stone/magic. It would cause a constant trading as 1 kingdom's currency wouldn't be stable to the other, thus promoting constant trade from stock market style buyers, sellers and traders. The gold coin would be down, maybe rubies or diamonds or emeralds become a currency I'm open to anything that encourages additional currencies as the virtual economy side of online games is most interesting to me.

Kalani and Time Lord like this.
  20. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

That would be wonderful if this is true.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.